Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The funniest thing about Groce and the Illini is if you compare Groce with the Illini to Weber at K St.  By every metric Weber has been more successful at K St than Groce has been with the Illini.  Weber has been to more NCAA tournaments and will add another one this year.  Weber has the better overall and conference record.  Weber has had the better Pomeroy rated team 4 out of the 5 seasons.  And Weber's program is young with 4 of the top 6 guys in minutes played are sophomores or freshmen.  Weber is getting more done at f'ing K St than Groce can get done with a program that Illini fans think should be one of the best in the country. 

IMG_3755.JPG

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Their fans will talk in great pie in the sky ideas like Gregg Marshall (not happening) or Cuonzo Martin (maybe but probably not - whats the upgrade?) or maybe then Archie Miller (maybe, but can they afford him/he could do better). Then they'll settle into the typical Illinois hire - mid major head coach with recent NCAA success. Groce, Weber, Self. They're batting .500 on those guys so maybe they're due for a good one. 

Someone like Kevin Keatts from UNCW might fit the bill there and might be a pretty good recruiter. Maybe Groce needs to stay.

some are saying tony bennett from Virginia. hahahhaaa

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

some are saying tony bennett from Virginia. hahahhaaa

Tony Bennett to Illinois is only slightly funnier than those on this board that think Stevens is going to leave the NBA for IU. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The funniest thing about Groce and the Illini is if you compare Groce with the Illini to Weber at K St.  By every metric Weber has been more successful at K St than Groce has been with the Illini.  Weber has been to more NCAA tournaments and will add another one this year.  Weber has the better overall and conference record.  Weber has had the better Pomeroy rated team 4 out of the 5 seasons.  And Weber's program is young with 4 of the top 6 guys in minutes played being sophomores or freshmen.  Weber is getting more done at f'ing K St than Groce can get done with a program that Illini fans think should be one of the best in the country. 

I think K-State beats Illinois this year if they would have been on the schedule.

The K-State basketball program looks pretty strong right now and I am wondering if the Illinois fans are wishing Weber was their coach instead of Groce.

13 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think K-State beats Illinois this year if they would have been on the schedule.

The K-State basketball program looks pretty strong right now and I am wondering if the Illinois fans are wishing Weber was their coach instead of Groce.

K St  ( A ) over the Illini ( B+ )  by 5

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

The funniest thing about Groce and the Illini is if you compare Groce with the Illini to Weber at K St.  By every metric Weber has been more successful at K St than Groce has been with the Illini.  Weber has been to more NCAA tournaments and will add another one this year.  Weber has the better overall and conference record.  Weber has had the better Pomeroy rated team 4 out of the 5 seasons.  And Weber's program is young with 4 of the top 6 guys in minutes played being sophomores or freshmen.  Weber is getting more done at f'ing K St than Groce can get done with a program that Illini fans think should be one of the best in the country. 

K-State looks really good this year, too. I've seen them play three times now and have been impressed all three times.

Also the Big XII is tough again this year probably the best basketball conference.

IU implosion might be good for a couple recruits in the short term.  In the long term maybe it's best they stay mired in mediocrity so it helps SLU.

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Also the Big XII is tough again this year probably the best basketball conference.

IU implosion might be good for a couple recruits in the short term.  In the long term maybe it's best they stay mired in mediocrity so it helps SLU.

I think the Big12 is down.

sure schools like tcu and TTU are having great season(for their standards),  but UT, OU, ISU are all down.  OSU and ksu have been surprises. 

50 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think the Big12 is down.

sure schools like tcu and TTU are having great season(for their standards),  but UT, OU, ISU are all down.  OSU and ksu have been surprises. 

When you say OSU is a surprise is that because they are 0-5 last in the conference?  Shaka Smart is having a horrible season so far 1-5, 7-11 and OK 1-4, 7-9 are a bad surprise.

12 minutes ago, CBFan said:

When you say OSU is a surprise is that because they are 0-5 last in the conference?  Shaka Smart is having a horrible season so far 1-5, 7-11 and OK 1-4, 7-9 are a bad surprise.

haha, I last checked right before conf play started.  had no idea they were winless in conf, they had a solid out of conf record.

B12 only has 1 great team, and 2 good teams in TCU and ksu. and thats it?

56 minutes ago, wgstl said:

haha, I last checked right before conf play started.  had no idea they were winless in conf, they had a solid out of conf record.

Huh?  Right now the Big 12 has 3 top ten teams, with TCU, ISU and KSU all having a legit shot at the NCAA tourney.  

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Your a good poster on this site so I was asking a question not being a smart guy.

The surprise with OSU is that they have coach Underwood now and they are 0-5 and that problem got coach Ford ran out of town.

I think Baylor is a great team too and I wonder what The Wiz thinks of Baylor compared to KU.

Don't forget West Virginia with the jerk coach Huggins they are good too.

Number 35 on ESPN just got released by Saint Johns 4* C. Dropped because of his second robbery charge. While it is quick to jump on him for being a repeating criminal, he had a very rough upbringing and was only recently adopted in 2013. Do you think he is redeemable? Would be an amazing get if it wasn't for his off court conduct. I personally think that it would be really risky to get him with a huge payoff if he matures. I think it could be a part of SLU's mission if we took him in and hoped to change him, but chances are he won't. Ideally we would take him as a walk on then award him a scholarship if he proves himself, but with him having a poor background that wouldn't be realistic. Such a shame, since college basketball would have been his saving grace

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Number 35 on ESPN just got released by Saint Johns 4* C. Dropped because of his second robbery charge. While it is quick to jump on him for being a repeating criminal, he had a very rough upbringing and was only recently adopted in 2013. Do you think he is redeemable? Would be an amazing get if it wasn't for his off court conduct. I personally think that it would be really risky to get him with a huge payoff if he matures. I think it could be a part of SLU's mission if we took him in and hoped to change him, but chances are he won't. Ideally we would take him as a walk on then award him a scholarship if he proves himself, but with him having a poor background that wouldn't be realistic. Such a shame, since college basketball would have been his saving grace

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/18504420/st-john-red-storm-release-zach-brown-letter-intent
http://es.pn/2k5eAJ2

Super questionable, but yea hand him over. Best of luck to whoever does

On the B12 ranking....A+..... have them easily as the best conference...here is why...

A+....WVU KS, Bay  ISU......with WVU as the #1 team..I have had them number 1 all season

A.....OSU, TCU, TTU, KSU

B+....TX OK

Remember if you are a full grade away from the conference grade,,,you are not competitive...imagine having a B+ and not being competitive.

For some perspective...TX and OK, the B12 bottom feeders, would be 3rd and 4th in the A-10....any of the rest of the B-12 teams would be #1 in the A-10.  The B-12 is one strong conference

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Looks like it's been more than two robbery charges. We have enough crime in this town. Let someone else "reform" him.