Schertz Press Conference Game Day Thread

6 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I did attend the news conference and overall I thought it was well done.  I could be wrong but when I attended the Ford news conference, I don't remember May talking that much about the donors.  Today he mentioned several donors by name and more than once.  Just my opinion but that was a signal that they took a much more active role in this decision then before.  Schertz mentioned that his one son is transferring to SLU and that his other son is moving here - does anyone know what that son does?  I didn't see Tillet but like some said depending where you were sitting it was hard to see everyone.

You may well  be correct about May talking a lot about the donors in the Schertz conference. However, with Pestello getting ready to leave the presidency at SLU, there may well be other reasons for May to mention big donors by name. He may well have been trying to gain favor among the donors to maintain his post after the new president is hired. Of course this possibility is my opinion, not an established fact.

You are probably absolutely correct that the big donors took a much more active role in the Schertz hiring decision than before. Frankly I think the big donors filled a vacuum produced by Pestello's coming retirement, and we all should be grateful for what they did in the selection of this basketball coach.

majerus mojo likes this

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I did attend the news conference and overall I thought it was well done.  I could be wrong but when I attended the Ford news conference, I don't remember May talking that much about the donors.  Today he mentioned several donors by name and more than once.  Just my opinion but that was a signal that they took a much more active role in this decision then before.  Schertz mentioned that his one son is transferring to SLU and that his other son is moving here - does anyone know what that son does?  I didn't see Tillet but like some said depending where you were sitting it was hard to see everyone.

That and when you lose a bunch of rich people 8 figures in cash and they don't make you disappear, you gotta stay on your knees for awhile.

Soderball likes this

-listening to the radio yesterday and the host was going through what some cultures believe about an eclipse and the one I thought best fits SLU is one of them believes it is the dawning of a new era, let's hope this era introduced on eclipse day  is very successful

-glad CJS mentioned defense and noted that in conf play this past season they were #1 in the MVC

-sounded like CMay started watching CJS in the 2022-23 season

-CJS listed the positives the SLU job has and I hope the donors start getting a much better return on their investment and a big THANKS to the big donors for making it all happen

13 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-listening to the radio yesterday and the host was going through what some cultures believe about an eclipse and the one I thought best fits SLU is one of them believes it is the dawning of a new era, let's hope this era introduced on eclipse day  is very successful

-glad CJS mentioned defense and noted that in conf play this past season they were #1 in the MVC

-sounded like CMay started watching CJS in the 2022-23 season

-CJS listed the positives the SLU job has and I hope the donors start getting a much better return on their investment and a big THANKS to the big donors for making it all happen

If you are buying that he was looking at Schertz over a year ago then I have a bridge to sell you.  He was locked with Ford until the big donors said enough

TheA_Bomb likes this

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If you are buying that he was looking at Schertz over a year ago then I have a bridge to sell you.  He was locked with Ford until the big donors said enough

-did I interpret CMay's words incorrectly or was he spinning a yarn?

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yes he was spinning a yarn.  He may have seen an ISU game but he was not thinking of hiring Schertz

so you must be on chris may's short list of close confidential friends to know that.   i'm impressed.   i consider myself a friend of chris may and he didnt tell me anything this specific.  

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Yes he was spinning a yarn.  He may have seen an ISU game but he was not thinking of hiring Schertz

As has been discussed there were some who wanted to replace Ford last year. May certainly knew that if Ford did not turn it around he would have to replace him . Why would Schertz not have been on a potential list of replacement? 

11 minutes ago, willie said:

As has been discussed there were some who wanted to replace Ford last year. May certainly knew that if Ford did not turn it around he would have to replace him . Why would Schertz not have been on a potential list of replacement? 

exactly.  while so many have written off Chris May, he didnt get to this position in his career to sit back and not prepare for the possiblities and inevitables.   i see no reason he wouldnt have been developing alternatives and scenarios.   i am also sure if he was smart he would be at minimum feeling out the whales for the program and getting input and feelings and continuing to develop those relationships.   

last, he likely had an implementation plan that he could more or less insert the winning name into the scenario.   you are all foolish to believe he would not be ready to react to not only save his own job, but more importantly save the Billikens.   right now it appears that is what i believe happened and i thank Chris May completely.   We are lucky we have the boosters we have and the leadership and assertiveness that Chris May delivered.  

47 minutes ago, willie said:

Because he didn't know he was going to get pressured to replace Ford until after the season.  

Just now, someoneelse said:

UConn did some weaving last night.  It ran some clock and got a backdoor layup.  

the backdoor layup is the difference.   uconn used the weave to start the play.   ford did nothing but waste time with the weave.   it's like he fell asleep in the weave class and missed the part about what can be done off the start of the weave. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

exactly.  while so many have written off Chris May, he didnt get to this position in his career to sit back and not prepare for the possiblities and inevitables.   i see no reason he wouldnt have been developing alternatives and scenarios.   i am also sure if he was smart he would be at minimum feeling out the whales for the program and getting input and feelings and continuing to develop those relationships.   

last, he likely had an implementation plan that he could more or less insert the winning name into the scenario.   you are all foolish to believe he would not be ready to react to not only save his own job, but more importantly save the Billikens.   right now it appears that is what i believe happened and i thank Chris May completely.   We are lucky we have the boosters we have and the leadership and assertiveness that Chris May delivered.  

Well stated.  This deserves more than a Good Post reaction. 

13, you are a good poster and i love reading your takes and comments.   but i think you got this one wrong. 

almaman likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

However it happened he got the hire right. 

He also had a really good marketing plan and press conference. 

So maybe he's stepping up his game.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I'm not saying he read a speech ghostwritten by the boys over at West Pine Bills, but he hit A LOT of bullet points I've heard from them. 

32 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

However it happened he got the hire right. 

He also had a really good marketing plan and press conference. 

So maybe he's stepping up his game.

It is amazing how smooth the last month has gone.  I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to give credit where it is due. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

He cleaned up his own mess. I am glad he has apparently found another gear. Hopefully this new gear includes treating employees and all student athletes with the same gratitude he demands of them. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Because he didn't know he was going to get pressured to replace Ford until after the season.  

But he was pressured to replace Ford the year before but no one wanted to write the check. 

3 minutes ago, willie said:

But he was pressured to replace Ford the year before but no one wanted to write the check. 

I believe there were those who have said the money was there but May dug his heels in - at least that is what had been posted here.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I believe there were those who have said the money was there but May dug his heels in - at least that is what had been posted here.

That is not the story I have been told by reliable sources. No one offered to write the check. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm not saying he read a speech ghostwritten by the boys over at West Pine Bills, but he hit A LOT of bullet points I've heard from them. 

Was wondering when you would take credit for something. May listening to you is a joke, right?

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

It is amazing how smooth the last month has gone.  I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to give credit where it is due. 

100%.  Sounds like he displayed relationship building attributes as it pertains to CJS.  Both acknowledged many conversations, dinners, etc.

Hard not to be impressed with him at the moment