WELCOME HEAD COACH JOSH SCHERTZ!!

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I don't know what to tell you.  I don't think you really understand how much some of SLU"s boosters are really worth.  These aren't the type of people that will be making NIL spends through a collective website. This isn't just Chaifetz that has stepped up.  I have heard two different numbers for what will be available for SLU to spend on NIL this season.  The lower of those two numbers would have put SLU among the very elite of P5 basketball NIL spending last season.  Will Texas spend more this coming season than SLU will?  Sure they could, I am sure they have the means to and they probably will.  Also just because the money is available that doesn't mean SLU will spend every last penny of it.  That still doesn't mean SLU won't be able spend just as much or more than Texas when it comes to what they are willing to spend on a specific player both programs are targeting.  Being willing to spend that money doesn't even mean that SLU would land that player.  There are many kids that would rather play for Texas at the end of the day.

I'm not diminishing the wealth of SLU Boosters.  There's just economies of scale, Texas has more of those top level boosters and more of every other level.

I hope our Boosters are motivated, they seem to be, and can outbid a P5. Plus we have the inside track and the motivation to keep guys with their teammates and coach.  Something other schools can't offer.

brianstl likes this

Notice the focus on actual basketball coaching, systems, development? That's refreshing. 

He said 2 or 3 staff positions left to fill right?

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

Notice the focus on actual basketball coaching, systems, development? That's refreshing. 

He said 2 or 3 staff positions left to fill right?

TheA_Bomb likes this

If Avila doesn’t want to come here, we’ll get another stretch big who’s in better shape and plays better defense.  We’ll be fine.  I’m convinced that it was Schertz who made Avila not Avila who made Schertz.  I think Robbie would continue to thrive here playing in the same system.  If he goes somewhere else, he’ll have a rude awakening when he runs into the high-pressure associated with a big time program and will have different results in a different system.

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If Avila doesn’t want to come here, we’ll get another stretch big who’s in better shape and plays better defense.  We’ll be fine.  I’m convinced that it was Schertz who made Avila not Avila who made Schertz.  I think Robbie would continue to thrive here playing in the same system.  If he goes somewhere else, he’ll have a rude awakening when he runs into the high-pressure associated with a big time program and will have different results in a different system.

Avila will be a billiken. Count on it. (And be pumped. The guy is awesome. He is more athletic than you realize.)

3 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Avila will be a billiken. Count on it. (And be pumped. The guy is awesome. He is more athletic than you realize.)

I’ll be happy when he commits, but I’m not going to shed a tear if he doesn’t.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I’ll be happy when he commits, but I’m not going to shed a tear if he doesn’t.

He would have ranked as the #2nd best player in the a10 last year according to Torvik. Sure Schertz may make him better, but you don’t just saw eh whatever to someone like that. 

gobillsgo likes this

1 hour ago, Bilzz said:

WPB said on Twitter that Brett Putz is 1 of the 2.

https://eiupanthers.com/news/2023/5/24/brett-putz-joins-eiu-mens-basketball-staff.aspx

Putz is a former NJCAA Head Coach of the Year.  He spent 1 year as an assistant at Tony Romo's alma mater Eastern Illinois University.  Has roots to Iowa AAU, JUCOs, and experience in IL.

Unsure if the rumors are true that he gets a lifetime discount on Lender's Bagels and that's why Schertz is hiring him.

TRN likes this

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

“Pleasantly surprised by the number of kids interested in coming.”

This is huge. Likely only 3 guys returning from the previous season at SLU, normally spells doom…Schertz was quick to point out, however, he only had 4 returnees this past season at ISU.

22 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

This is huge. Likely only 3 guys returning from the previous season at SLU, normally spells doom…Schertz was quick to point out, however, he only had 4 returnees this past season at ISU.

same from Uconn down these daze

VeniceMenace likes this

I'm absolutely over the moon for this hire. The news is great and just gets better. Even if the honeymoon period this is great. The recruits mentioned have been great, the assistant and staff hires are great. SLU is finally getting things right for once.

I don't think we will have HCJS for long, but by God it is going to be fun. Let's go!

Schertz, at least judging by his brief biography posted by Pakapablo in this board, is not a man that rates money above everything else. He is a man that has been through a lot and probably judges people not by the NIL money they get but by their effectiveness and ability. At least that is my opinion. If Avila is just after money there is no doubt in my mind that he can get a larger NIL elsewhere. If what Avila wants is further development of his ability as a basketball player and believes that Schertz is the coach that will provide it, then he will be at SLU even if he is offered a larger NIL elsewhere.

If you (plural) judge things and people by NIL money alone you are not going to get what you need to radically change SLU MBB. This is my opinion, not fact.

CenHudDude likes this

40 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I'm absolutely over the moon for this hire. The news is great and just gets better. Even if the honeymoon period this is great. The recruits mentioned have been great, the assistant and staff hires are great. SLU is finally getting things right for once.

I don't think we will have HCJS for long, but by God it is going to be fun. Let's go!

Continued major success at his Division 2 stop after he left...good sign that he leaves a program in good shape with good people...promoting from within at ISU after he left, another good sign of respect for his program.

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Excited to see what these guys can do with a new scheme and different(putting it nicely)coaching!