3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There are multiple programs that have shown no issue with hiring guys with NCAA violation history or character issues.  None of them have wanted to touch Will Wade.  It is probably a good thing if we follow their example.

Character issues would be different.  I agree if a coach has personality flaws that wouldn't be preferred.  However, if it is just an issue that someone got caught up on prior pay for play scandal, I don't see how that should preclude them from jobs now.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Cincy could beat ISU tonight, would that bring more clarity or confusion to the situation?  Genuinely curious.  I wonder if the longer ISU is in the tourney, the less likely Louisville is to poach given their fan base’s incessant need to fill their void quickly 

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

wasnt he charged with multiple NCAA violations?   myself, even if the things he was charged with are now legal in the new wild west of the ncaa, i dont want a cheater and i am sure we arent the only school thinking the same way.

B’roy, give up the morality play. There are no morals anymore in college sports. If there were Schertz would have put this circus to rest by saying I signed with SLU end of story and UL would not be poaching him. These days it’s every man for himself. Ethics and honor are out the window. We may not like it but it’s the world we live in these days. 
Wade’s won wherever he’s been and, now with NIL, he doesn’t need to cheat. Let him follow in the footsteps of Sampson and Pearl and bring us a winner. 

2 minutes ago, laker119 said:

If Cincy could beat ISU tonight, would that bring more clarity or confusion to the situation?  Genuinely curious.  I wonder if the longer ISU is in the tourney, the less likely Louisville is to poach given their fan base’s incessant need to fill their void quickly 

I got a feeling we will know by tonight one way or another.  I think Louisville has someone as their coach before we wake up tomorrow if it is Schertz or someone else.  Their fans might torch the campus if they don't.  

15 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Ideally I'd love a squeaky clean character guy who can win big at SLU, but I don't think that is realistic / actually exists.  I'd much rather have a coach like Pearl, Sampson, or Wade who got in trouble for recruiting violations than a guy like Greg Marshall who has never in trouble with the NCAA, but has been accused of verbal & physical abuse of his players or even.  I'm not quite win at all costs, but give me a guy who wins & whose players love him regardless of his track record of NCAA violations.

Shoot, we're supposed to be all about forgiving.. Give me Marshall all day too. 

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I got a feeling we will know by tonight one way or another.  I think Louisville has someone as their coach before we wake up tomorrow if it is Schertz or someone else.  Their fans might torch the campus if they don't.  

Hopefully they burn down the basketball facilities. That will make the Billiken facilities look better and tip the Schertz scale in our direction. 

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

B’roy, give up the morality play. There are no morals anymore in college sports. If there were Schertz would have put this circus to rest by saying I signed with SLU end of story and UL would not be poaching him. These days it’s every man for himself. Ethics and honor are out the window. We may not like it but it’s the world we live in these days. 
Wade’s won wherever he’s been and, now with NIL, he doesn’t need to cheat. Let him follow in the footsteps of Sampson and Pearl and bring us a winner. 

and as i said, if that is 100% the way it is, i have no interest in being a college basketball fan any longer.   i have faith the majority of programs still have some morals and goodness and charater.   if that means they lose, i could still root for them before i root for the snakes.  

On 3/25/2024 at 9:36 AM, TheA_Bomb said:

I posted on the board multiple times that I was coming.  Also posted I was at baseball game. If I knew my flight Sunday was going to be delayed 6 hours I coulda went to WNIT.

I got Sign Guy to autograph his book for me.

It was great to meet @TheA_Bomb.  Whenever you are back in StL, be sure to let me know.

Same goes for other out of towners. Always neat to meet the people on the board.

If we aren't getting Schertz I want to know now so we can hire a coach and he can work the portal. The timing wasn't as big of a deal with Schertz because you knew he'd bring multiple guys with him. Not as certain with another candidate and especially not as certain they'll be difference makers. 

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

In the last hour both Jeff Goodman and  Pat Forde have tweeted about Richard Pitino being involved at Louisville. Now this article:

https://247sports.com/college/louisville/article/josh-heird-rick-pitino-richard-pitino-has-emerged-as-a-top-candidate-for-the-louisville-job-229376705/

The agent for every coach out there isn't doing their job if they aren't calling their friends in the press to have their client connected to the Louisville job.  You got to get your guy a raise at their current employer at a minimum.

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Schertz and Pitino have the same agent

now this is interesting.  

I only really caught up on this thread today, but the rumor is $2 million for Schertz?

That seems like a lot for the track record.

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

and as i said, if that is 100% the way it is, i have no interest in being a college basketball fan any longer.   i have faith the majority of programs still have some morals and goodness and charater.   if that means they lose, i could still root for them before i root for the snakes.  

Do you not watch football because the forward pass used to be illegal?  Every team is cheating!

1 minute ago, SluSignGuy said:

I only really caught up on this thread today, but the rumor is $2 million for Schertz?

That seems like a lot for the track record.

Yeah, but we were paying Ford $2.5 million. I don’t know this for certain, but I’d imagine that you potentially back yourself into a corner when you have that track record of paying Ford what they did.

Just now, DeSmetBilliken said:

Yeah, but we were paying Ford $2.5 million. I don’t know this for certain, but I’d imagine that you potentially back yourself into a corner when you have that track record of paying Ford what they did.

One has a regular season conference championship in the last decade

1 minute ago, willie said:

Once upon a time SLU let Joe B Hall out of a contract. There is precident. If he doesn't want to come I see us saying OK. 

It's a tough line to walk. YOu want to get paid for it. But so many of these guys have the same agent(s) and you don't want to mess up relationships with them. I see SLU letting Schertz out without much resistance. Maybe like a home and home with UL or something. 

16 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Schertz and Pitino have the same agent

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

now this is interesting.  

Happens all the time, Jimmy Sexton was made a very rich man by SEC schools. He represented about half the conference coaches.

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Once upon a time SLU let Joe B Hall out of a contract. There is precident. If he doesn't want to come I see us saying OK. 

Better get yourself every penny you are entitled to in a buyout before you do that. You can't just screw yourself in this process, not in today's college basketball world.

SLU_Lax and billiken_roy like this