6 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Pressure would be on from the start at Louisville… is he confident that bringing a couple of his guys from ISU, and adding a few in the portal, would get him to the dance year one?  If not, pressure starts building. 

At SLU, bringing a few of his players, keeping a few of the current roster, and adding a couple from the portal could have him contending in the A10 immediately.  And as long as there’s obvious improvement, no fan or booster pressure. 

So he needs to ask himself, if they’re each paying me $2mil, which job would I rather take next?  If he fails at Louisville, he’s back at MVC level or worse in 3-4 years. If he succeeds at SLU, he moves on to a bigger program that isn’t currently the laughing stock of P5 programs.   Obviously the potential at Louisville is greater because of conference, history, etc, but so is the pressure.  For the same money, I’d go to SLU, win a few conference titles, and see what kind of offers come in the future. 

Hopefully he’s still committed to us and not even seriously considering it.  But damn, do I want ISU to lose so we know one way or another. 

Now you're sounding like posters on the Sycamore board.

Louisville is a better job than SLU. There is pressure and headaches for sure but it's a big time basketball school. But real competitors believe in themselves.

I want Schertz at SLU because I really love the 5 out offense.  It's the future.

Not sure who my 2nd choice would be.  Wade, Mack is still available, Bucky is still available and has an exciting style, Kerns, Langel other good options.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he wants out let him out but Louisville needs to pay us, straight cash homie. Then we use that to buyout Kelsey.

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Now you're sounding like posters on the Sycamore board.

Louisville is a better job than SLU. There is pressure and headaches for sure but it's a big time basketball school. But real competitors believe in themselves.

I want Schertz at SLU because I really love the 5 out offense.  It's the future.

Not sure who my 2nd choice would be.  Wade, Mack is still available, Bucky is still available and has an exciting style, Kerns, Langel other good options.

Well I wrote the post before I saw the 3.5mil vs the $2 mil. Obviously Louisville is the more prestigious job.  My point was, if the salary is around the same, there’s an argument for picking SLU.  

Honestly, why don't we just pivot to Will Wade (who should've been the obvious hire at Louisville)?  I doubt that will happen, but after looking up his track record after seeing the "unproven" stuff, he's a far better candidate (on paper) than Schertz.  NCAA tournament in 6/9 (7/10 if you count the COVID year LSU most likely would  have made it) years as a HC, 3/5 at the mid-major level.  4 years he didn't make NCAAs were his 2 at Chattanooga, NIT his 1st year at LSU, and the COVID no tournament year.  Since his 2 years at Chattanooga, he hasn't finished below 67 in KenPom.  His salary at McNeese was just $700k this past season.

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If he wants out let him out but Louisville needs to pay us, straight cash homie. Then we use that to buyout Kelsey.

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Tell UL we’ll let him out but they gotta buy him out for around $6mil. That ought to fund NIL pretty well for a few years. 

Bills playing chess while everyone else is paying checkers.

This was always the plan. Hire Schertz knowing  Louisville will want him and make them pay up to buy him out.

It’s genius.

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Well we need the big guns to step up and at least make him an offer that competes with Louisville. Sure it's still a better job but don't let money be the reason.

Honest question. Did you think Ford was overpaid? I'm OK with matching but don't come back in a couple of years and say May was stupid to do such a contract. 

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Honestly, why don't we just pivot to Will Wade (who should've been the obvious hire at Louisville)?  I doubt that will happen, but after looking up his track record after seeing the "unproven" stuff, he's a far better candidate (on paper) than Schertz.  NCAA tournament in 6/9 (7/10 if you count the COVID year LSU most likely would  have made it) years as a HC, 3/5 at the mid-major level.  4 years he didn't make NCAAs were his 2 at Chattanooga, NIT his 1st year at LSU, and the COVID no tournament year.  Since his 2 years at Chattanooga, he hasn't finished below 67 in KenPom.  His salary at McNeese was just $700k this past season.

I'm wondering why everyone is passing on Wade....

1 minute ago, willie said:

Honest question. Did you think Ford was overpaid? I'm OK with matching but don't come back in a couple of years and say May was stupid to do such a contract. 

Ford was fired and we paid him $2.5mil, 8 years ago.

Schertz is an up and comer wanted by big time basketball schools.

The initial Ford contract was $1mil over his value per year and the extension was even worse.

Given who are sports fan trustees are, there really should be no excuse for SLU’s contract not to be rock solid with a big buyout.  So Louisville better be ready to pay if they want to make this happen.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Given who are sports fan trustees are, there really should be no excuse for SLU’s contract not to be rock solid with a big buyout.  So Louisville better be ready to pay if they want to make this happen.

May planned this all along to recoup the Ford buyout 😅

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I like him. Think Sampson at UH and Pearl at Auburn. Two ex cons who’ve done well. Forget the old days it’s a new dawn. 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

If things fall apart, I would like to thank MO St. for screwing up stuff with McCollum.

McCollum isn’t the worst option, but he doesn’t get us dancing year 1 like Schertz would. I’m greedy, I need march to be relevant again. 

Just now, SLUDrew said:

I am terrified of who we will end up with if its not Schertz. 

I’m amazingly at peace with the whole situation and for some reason confident we will get a great coach.

slu72 likes this

Just now, gobillsgo said:

McCollum isn’t the worst option, but he doesn’t get us dancing year 1 like Schertz would. I’m greedy, I need march to be relevant again. 

If we get a huge buyout in this that would allow SLU to shift donor money that would have gone to cover Ford’s buyout to NIL.  McCollum can build a winner year one with that kind of payroll.

Bizziken likes this

Just now, SLUDrew said:

I am terrified of who we will end up with if its not Schertz. 

I don’t think Kelsey will leave CoC for us. He wants a P5 job. Wade might view us as stepping stone back to the P6. Bucky from Samford ain’t a bad backup plan. And McCollum’s a winner.