SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

With the release of word they are using a search firm, I am getting the vibes that this has all been going on behind the scenes before the season was over, maybe 3 weeks and that we are likely further along in the process than any of us had thought we might be.

Where did you see this?  And yeah as soon as you decide you are firing for sure you have to start that's how this should go. Normally I think search firms are a waste. But in SLU's case we can use the help.  Search firms can make calls that aren't connected to the school to gauge interest and keep the school's name out of it to avoid issues. 

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Where did you see this?  And yeah as soon as you decide you are firing for sure you have to start that's how this should go. Normally I think search firms are a waste. But in SLU's case we can use the help.  Search firms can make calls that aren't connected to the school to gauge interest and keep the school's name out of it to avoid issues. 

Stu. 

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don’t think that I’ll be missing out on a bunch of inside information, but Frank Cusumano just blocked me on Twitter for criticizing his suggestion of Ahearn as a candidate for SLU coach.

Hahhahahha how did you criticize him?  How sensitive do you have to be?

Dude has never been a College Basketball assistant or head coach you should expect some flack. Also that's the nature of sports talk there's a lot of emotions much of it is irrational.

6 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Hahhahahha how did you criticize him?  How sensitive do you have to be?

Dude has never been a College Basketball assistant or head coach you should expect some flack. Also that's the nature of sports talk there's a lot of emotions much of it is irrational.

The “Exhibit A” was his video pushing Ahearn for SLU. Really vicious stuff.

13 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don’t think that I’ll be missing out on a bunch of inside information, but Frank Cusumano just blocked me on Twitter for criticizing his suggestion of Ahearn as a candidate for SLU coach.

I’ve been ignoring Cusumano for years myself. I really don’t feel I’ve been missing much

21 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

hahahahahaha

those spartan fans sure love their guys.   for the life of me, how can ahearn expect to be a coach at a school as high up the ladder as an A10 school when he has never been a head coach?   if he wants to be a head coach, maybe he should start out coaching DeSmet, then after 4 or five state championships he can go coach a juco or D3 school.   then another 4 or 5 years of top success he can look at a low D1 school and then another few years of 20+ wins and conference championships he can look at the SLU opening sometime around 2045.  

Ahearn is doing what he can with powerful boosters and media contacts. The fact he's getting this much air time is impressive. He's a shooter shooting his shot.  Gotta respect the hustle. My question is why not push hard for the SMS job?  Is he?  I know one reason $.  But that's a respectable gig and stepping stone.

Frank blocking our fellow MBM is weak sauce.

2 minutes ago, laker119 said:

Michigan job is now open…another big time opening.  

Ju-lost Howard 

1 hour ago, jonny karate said:

Kevin slaten went on 15 minute angry rant saying Blake Ahearn is slu only option and noone should considered. 

This highlights exactly why SLU shouldn’t consider hiring Ahern.  Let me guess, his son Troy should be the top assistant.  

Never trust the word of a sports talk radio personality, especially one that is noted for hitting a woman with her purse.

I’m actually surprised he had time to talk about SLU.  It must have been between sentences talking about how Paterno was screwed and reading out the Freeh report.  You know, relevant stuff for St. Louis.

thelaundry likes this

SLU has had a top 3 for some time, well before the coaching change announcement. 

The Ahearn booster move was more of a last year thing than a this year thing. A different coach was approached by some SLU boosters this year. My initial reaction was skeptical that the coach in question would take the job. But these boosters were emphatic about it. 

If SLU doesn’t secure one of their top 3 choices, they will pivot to some other names. Some of those would be good or not ideal fits based on the individual in question. 

My two cents personal opinion is that they won’t get either of their top 2 choices. (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) They might get their 3rd. And it’s another year where different boosters want different coaches. And the list isn’t the same. 

Also remember, someone else’s first choice might not be the best choice, and someone else’s 6th or 7th choice may be a better pick or fit. 

Many (not all) of the names are reasonable. 

CenHudDude likes this

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

DOES HE NOT KNOW THAT YOU WENT TO DESMET???

JMM28, slufan13, crymdg2 and 4 others like this

14 minutes ago, courtside said:

SLU has had a top 3 for some time, well before the coaching change announcement. 

The Ahearn booster move was more of a last year thing than a this year thing. A different coach was approached by some SLU boosters this year. My initial reaction was skeptical that the coach in question would take the job. But these boosters were emphatic about it. 

If SLU doesn’t secure one of their top 3 choices, they will pivot to some other names. Some of those would be good or not ideal fits based on the individual in question. 

My two cents personal opinion is that they won’t get either of their top 2 choices. (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) They might get their 3rd. And it’s another year where different boosters want different coaches. And the list isn’t the same. 

Also remember, someone else’s first choice might not be the best choice, and someone else’s 6th or 7th choice may be a better pick or fit. 

Many (not all) of the names are reasonable. 

Sounds like a Porter Moser thing. 

The ceiling was capped with guys like Crews and Ford. 99% of people knew that when they were hired even if they were fans of the hire. 

The ceiling is capped with a guy like Bryce Drew. I've never been overly impressed with him as it is but he's not the guy to elevate you consistently. 

A Chris Mack (unlikely in my opinion) or Josh Schertz (per national insiders, he WANTS the SLU job) gives you that potential high ceiling guy. Schertz probably has a little more downside as he is unproven but I mean how much further is there to go? Does anyone here care if we are ranked 270th in kenpom or 210th? 

Schertz wants the job. Many fans want Schertz. He's for once an ascending guy. He has a high ceiling. The floor can't get much lower. Give him the job. 

billiken_roy likes this

9 minutes ago, courtside said:

One of SLU’s top candidates is connected with a specific search firm, but not the one Stu mentioned.

Thanks for sharing what you can and have. Hopefully this is put to bed soon and the new coach can hit the ground running. There are multiple people that can take this job and be successful, each in their own fashion. Let's hope the decicion makers land on one of them (soon).

11 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

DOES HE NOT KNOW THAT YOU WENT TO DESMET???

I didn’t have space in the tweet to include that. Probably for the best though. It would be a bit awkward if I was criticizing the Ahearn suggestion because it’s dumb to hire coaches only because they’re from St. Louis, only for him to later start pushing me for the job because I also went to DeSmet and have been to a basketball game before.

Soderball likes this

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The ceiling was capped with guys like Crews and Ford. 99% of people knew that when they were hired even if they were fans of the hire. 

The ceiling is capped with a guy like Bryce Drew. I've never been overly impressed with him as it is but he's not the guy to elevate you consistently. 

A Chris Mack (unlikely in my opinion) or Josh Schertz (per national insiders, he WANTS the SLU job) gives you that potential high ceiling guy. Schertz probably has a little more downside as he is unproven but I mean how much further is there to go? Does anyone here care if we are ranked 270th in kenpom or 210th? 

Schertz wants the job. Many fans want Schertz. He's for once an ascending guy. He has a high ceiling. The floor can't get much lower. Give him the job. 

I'm not doubting you - just curious where you saw this...