NCAA Putting their Foot Down No Decorations or Snacks in Hotels

NCAA making the changes that matter.

"NCAA: Ok guys what’s wrong with recruiting?You there in the back

NO ONE: Ummm what are we going to do about these cookie cakes….

NCAA: Hmmm go on."

-credit Androidtx on horns247 for the above

billiken_roy likes this

20 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Lol Cookie Cakes will surely solve everything.

hard to believe considering all that is going on to cheapen college sports and fall below the ethical line in the sand, they are concerned about snacks on a recruiting visit.   college sports becomes more slimy every day.   

40 minutes ago, Pistol said:

As someone who had to put cookie cakes in hotel rooms for four years, this is entertaining to me.

-serious questions, where would you get the cookie cakes? what else did SLU do with the rooms to try to impress?

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-serious questions, where would you get the cookie cakes? what else did SLU do with the rooms to try to impress?

Great American Cookie in the Galleria. I just looked it up and it's still there in the same location. Amazing.

We would also hang some SLU pennants and banners, stuff like that. Tom Frericks took it all after his visit. No other recruit ever took the merch, just the cookie cake (usually partially eaten and the remainder left). At least Frericks came to SLU.

They stayed in the Sheraton (with the Richard Haas mural) across from what is now called Enterprise Center. We made sure they had rooms that faced the arena. Usually corner rooms. I guess that hotel is closed now (condos?) but the parking garage is still in use.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Great American Cookie in the Galleria. I just looked it up and it's still there in the same location. Amazing.

We would also hang some SLU pennants and banners, stuff like that. Tom Frericks took it all after his visit. No other recruit ever took the merch, just the cookie cake (usually partially eaten and the remainder left). At least Frericks came to SLU.

They stayed in the Sheraton (with the Richard Haas mural) across from what is now called Enterprise Center. We made sure they had rooms that faced the arena. Usually corner rooms. I guess that hotel is closed now (condos?) but the parking garage is still in use.

Hahaha, good times. I think we then shifted to the hotel at Union Station if I remember correctly. I meant to look up what the former Sheraton is now. I parked there a few weeks ago for the Blues game and to get back to the parking garage we had to walk thru the lobby. It was hard to tell whether it was still a hotel as it was dimly lit and a bit creepy although that might have been due to the drunk Blues fans we were surrounded by. I basically lived in that hotel for 6 months, the memories!

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Hahaha, good times. I think we then shifted to the hotel at Union Station if I remember correctly. I meant to look up what the former Sheraton is now. I parked there a few weeks ago for the Blues game and to get back to the parking garage we had to walk thru the lobby. It was hard to tell whether it was still a hotel as it was dimly lit and a bit creepy although that might have been due to the drunk Blues fans we were surrounded by. I basically lived in that hotel for 6 months, the memories!

-thanks

-so were you two responsible for securing any entertainment?

Who knows, maybe the idea is to have interactions with recruits be more transparent taking place in a more public place - out in the open like  a hotel lobby, as opposed to behind closed doors in a hotel room.

Sure the NCAA has plenty of silly rules and there are plenty of examples of their incompetence, but a weaker NCAA giving way to the current Wild West environment is much worse, IMO.

willie likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-thanks

-so were you two responsible for securing any entertainment?

Unfortunately not. We were always available for free entertainment in the form of drunken managers but we mostly entertained each other.

Just now, Pistol said:

Unfortunately not. We were always available for free entertainment in the form of drunken managers but we mostly entertained each other.

Kinky

22 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This is literally the only thing the NCAA can regulate anymore. Still wondering why the NCAA still exists after even more of the latest court injunctions.

NCAA does not run college sports, the court system does.

Time for schools to abandon the "school" part and just make a professional league that can actually BE regulated like the NBA, NFL, UFL, etc.

Nope, the school part will not be abandoned. There are too many schools that either do not have the money or the desire to go into the pay for play deal and house semi pro paid employees (not student any longer). I think the vast majority of schools will have traditional scholarship based programs. The players in the top end of the upper level of traditional scholarship school will play to try to qualify for the paying semi pro places. At least those that see basketball as their future will do so. Those who want to have a standard career in standard jobs may go for the academic degree without pay. There will always be special situations, like the Service Academies, that will not change their status in any way.

Adding to my prior post there are 362 Division 1 Basketball programs, each of these have 13 students under scholarship. That means 1086 Division 1 kids under Basketball scholarships. There is not enough room in the professional basketball leagues for all of these kids to go into paid semiprofessional teams as students. Undoubtedly these semi professional leagues will be developed, but they will not take all the kids playing Division 1 college basketball at this time. Note that I do not include the students playing Division II or JUCO in this total. 

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Adding to my prior post there are 362 Division 1 Basketball programs, each of these have 13 students under scholarship. That means 1086 Division 1 kids under Basketball scholarships. There is not enough room in the professional basketball leagues for all of these kids to go into paid semiprofessional teams as students. Undoubtedly these semi professional leagues will be developed, but they will not take all the kids playing Division 1 college basketball at this time. Note that I do not include the students playing Division II or JUCO in this total. 

that's not the college ranks problem.   college athletics should be primarily for getting an education.   if they dont want to go to school, they shouldnt be in college.  no exceptions.   this is the fix to what college athletics is evolving into.   put 100% of the college policing into academics.   if they focus on the student athletes legitimately getting into college, taking legit course work and above board graduating in 5 years or less, that successful student will possess the character needed to fix the problem.  

if the athlete is only there to play basketball and audition for the nba, they are a detriment to the real student athlete and their personal goals.   i have no problem with great athletes going to college.  but they need to do their job of being a real student first and foremost. 

TheA_Bomb and drkelsey55 like this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that's not the college ranks problem.   college athletics should be primarily for getting an education.   if they dont want to go to school, they shouldnt be in college.  no exceptions.   this is the fix to what college athletics is evolving into.   put 100% of the college policing into academics.   if they focus on the student athletes legitimately getting into college, taking legit course work and above board graduating in 5 years or less, that successful student will possess the character needed to fix the problem.  

if the athlete is only there to play basketball and audition for the nba, they are a detriment to the real student athlete and their personal goals.   i have no problem with great athletes going to college.  but they need to do their job of being a real student first and foremost. 

Did you see what Soderball posted right before my two prior posts saying that the schools would have to abandon the "school " part? Like it or not, there has to be some kind of a mechanism to identify those kids that go into college level education with a firm desire to enter professional sports. College athletics paid by scholarships has provided this testing ground. The vast majority of kids playing college athletics, including those desiring to go professional or not, have no future in professional sports. To introduce salaries, unionization , and NILs into the process just makes it harder for those who have no future as sport professionals and will profit the most from the scholarships.