What does the current team make off of NIL?

Lack of NIL funds is a running excuse from the current staff and even the Athletic Dept staffers for this whole season but its mentions have gone up and up as we get closer to the end Coac Ford's tenure.

Does anybody have any real figures that we have given our student athletes?  I will take even rumors or conjecture.

Jimerson was paid well into 6 figures this year.  Highest I've heard is 250k which lends creedence to him considering coming back for another year.  Are there any other estimates out there?  Maybe what the whole roster is earning?

When did the program and athletic department realize lack of NIL funds was an issue and what have they done to correct it?

Us falling behind with regards to NIL was fairly obvious early on and more reason for May and Ford to be fired. I understand why they are using it as their excuse especially if the rumors are true with some boosters not wanting to contribute due to concerns with Ford, but it is still on them to raise that $.

TheA_Bomb likes this

I don’t know how much NIL funds SLU has.  Regardless, that doesn’t have anything to do with the fact no one on the team can guard their own shadow.  

Even Soderberg showed a limited roster can defend if it is well coached.  This horrendous season is worse because we let opponents score at will, not because our players aren’t getting enough NIL $.

I think you have to settle for rumors and conjecture in place of real actual information. Real verifiable information seems very thin. My take, based upon the interview that Troy did last November with Keven Slaten on the radio, was that things weren’t going well for SLU in the NIL world. He sounded more like a defeated player sounds after a huge loss than anything else. But that’s just my impression, and I have nothing resembling any real data or how it relates to other D1 teams (how much SLU players get in NIL doesn’t really mean much without a realistic comparison after all). Good luck getting the information.

6 hours ago, House said:

The NIL budget for this year’s team is upper 6 figures.   A couple months ago, Troy felt next season would be the same. I don’t know if that forecast has changed based on how this season went. 

If that is true, then this season is an even bigger disaster than it appears. 

majerus mojo likes this

18 hours ago, thetorch said:

Lack of NIL funds is a running excuse from the current staff and even the Athletic Dept staffers for this whole season but its mentions have gone up and up as we get closer to the end Coac Ford's tenure.

Does anybody have any real figures that we have given our student athletes?  I will take even rumors or conjecture.

Jimerson was paid well into 6 figures this year.  Highest I've heard is 250k which lends creedence to him considering coming back for another year.  Are there any other estimates out there?  Maybe what the whole roster is earning?

the performance from GJ this year is not worth 250k.

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

If the numbers I’ve heard are right, SLU is in the top tier of the A10 from an NIL dollars perspective. Just another false excuse from Travis. 

The problem is a coach who is way overpaid and not evaluating and finding quality talent and even more failing to find guys that want to learn how to play basketball instead of pointsball. Fire Ford.

and yes he is at both the top of the pile for $ for himself and for players. He's just a failure all around.

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

the performance from GJ this year is not worth 250k.

He is probably a guy that could get 200 on the open market. But he is a 4th option on a top 25 team. This roster construction put him as #1/2 option and that leads to a bad team. 

29 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

He is probably a guy that could get 200 on the open market. But he is a 4th option on a top 25 team. This roster construction put him as #1/2 option and that leads to a bad team. 

I don't think so. He can't defend. I don't think a top 25 level team is interested. Too many other guys that can shoot at a similar % but with more physicality. I'm very down on GJ after watching this conference season. Don't really care if he comes back, can be replaced. We need guys that have height and can defend & rebound.

I don't know what is being spent, can't even speculate.  I spoke directly to Troy in Brooklyn last year on Pay for Play and I didn't think he had a good handle on it all.  I didn't think SLU had a good handle on it.  But again, I'm just a MBM moron and don't know anything.

I have long questioned a number of things:  offensive scheme, roster construction, and talent evaluation.  I finally figured out our offensive scheme is hero ball.  It goes back to Marcus Smart.  One stud.  Bess.  Isabell.  Goodwin.  Perkins.  Collins.  Now Parker.  Okay, I now get that.  What else can it be?  As for roster construction, we've never had a true five player.  Ezewiro is at best a serviceable four.  Last year, we should have had a PG in waiting to learn behind Collins.  Maybe Medley is a year late.  Medley spelling Collins would have been better than Andre Jones.  Mike Meadows ain't it.  Our bigs are all projects and frankly not very good.  Besides, who on our coaching staff is educating Zhang and van Bussel?  Mostof the rest, including Jimerson and Hargrove are role players.  Finally, talent evaluation.  Meadows.  Dalger.  Ezewiro.  And the foreign imports.  From Ford's interview, it sounds like we struck out all the way into August.  And then there is Pay for Play.  Who is evaluating Jimerson getting $250k?  Collins getting $200 k (if the numbers are correct)?  Did we give PFP money to Dalger, Medaows and Ezewiro?  Did we give anything to Thames and Hughes?  If the answers to the PFP questions are correct, do we trust whomever evaluated these guys and identified a salary for them? 

I think it was billiken05 who questioned why a full ride, with room and board, and all the ancillary things that come with that all of a sudden isn't enough?   Okay, maybe add a monthly stipend for incidentals is now a good thing but that horse has left the barn.  Given what I've seen I too would be reluctant to throw money out for this group.  

Now CTF says he has a plan.  Don't know what it is ither than "trust me."  I am about 80% sure that is NOT the answer going forward.

6 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I'm 100% sure he doesn't have a plan. 8 years of evidence that he can't earn an at-large here. Another year won't yield a different result. 

That’s the key, after 8 years of not doing much other than 1 lucky run, why give him another year?

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I don't know what is being spent, can't even speculate.  I spoke directly to Troy in Brooklyn last year on Pay for Play and I didn't think he had a good handle on it all.  I didn't think SLU had a good handle on it.  But again, I'm just a MBM moron and don't know anything.

I have long questioned a number of things:  offensive scheme, roster construction, and talent evaluation.  I finally figured out our offensive scheme is hero ball.  It goes back to Marcus Smart.  One stud.  Bess.  Isabell.  Goodwin.  Perkins.  Collins.  Now Parker.  Okay, I now get that.  What else can it be?  As for roster construction, we've never had a true five player.  Ezewiro is at best a serviceable four.  Last year, we should have had a PG in waiting to learn behind Collins.  Maybe Medley is a year late.  Medley spelling Collins would have been better than Andre Jones.  Mike Meadows ain't it.  Our bigs are all projects and frankly not very good.  Besides, who on our coaching staff is educating Zhang and van Bussel?  Mostof the rest, including Jimerson and Hargrove are role players.  Finally, talent evaluation.  Meadows.  Dalger.  Ezewiro.  And the foreign imports.  From Ford's interview, it sounds like we struck out all the way into August.  And then there is Pay for Play.  Who is evaluating Jimerson getting $250k?  Collins getting $200 k (if the numbers are correct)?  Did we give PFP money to Dalger, Medaows and Ezewiro?  Did we give anything to Thames and Hughes?  If the answers to the PFP questions are correct, do we trust whomever evaluated these guys and identified a salary for them? 

I think it was billiken05 who questioned why a full ride, with room and board, and all the ancillary things that come with that all of a sudden isn't enough?   Okay, maybe add a monthly stipend for incidentals is now a good thing but that horse has left the barn.  Given what I've seen I too would be reluctant to throw money out for this group.  

Now CTF says he has a plan.  Don't know what it is ither than "trust me."  I am about 80% sure that is NOT the answer going forward.

Why would a player with real talent want room, board, and education? Yuri Collins didn't leave school to become a neurosurgeon. I have a really hard time thinking of great billiken players who out of college went into a working stiff job like you or me.

It's not about if they're worth the money. They want the money and can get it. Id want the money too if I could shoot the basketball really well. I wasn't born with that talent. It is what it is.

These guys are here to play basketball. Just comical how some people view players. 😂 They're MERCENARIES.

Jimerson is here because he's getting paid, his internship over the summer was about stuffing his pockets with cash for three point shots. He is here because of basketball, like every other guy. No more, no less.

A guy like Hargrove is here because this is home. You want the hometown kid? There he is.

Anyway fire Ford. He's stealing 2.5 mil a year to be a bum. He sucks. He needs to get lost and get his wretched claws off of our program.

thatskablamo likes this

@Soderball:  good points all.  No arguments from me.

However, how about we eliminate college athletic scholarships completely.  Tell a kid "hey, you're getting $250k annually, you can afford to pay your own way to our $60k annually school and still be $190k in the black."  Of course, that likely won't work for the Djorde Curcic's of the world.  That would be funny.

Moreso now than ever I agree that they are mercenaries.  It is likely the final nail in my college viewership coffin.  As I noted in a previous thread, I am caught between rooting for the guys to win and for CTF to lose.  Now, it seems I just don't care one way or the other.  New coach?  Again, really don't care.  I've come to the realization that the root cause of the problem is the school itself.  No matter what the situation is that presents itself, Saint Louis University will always go the wrong way.  The names may change but the reality and plight never does.  I used to be an avid spectator.  I am fast becoming an occasional spectator.  And the same can be said for all of college basketball ---- I used to believe A10 viewing, Uconn/Marquette viewing, Ohio State/Michigan State viewing were all sacred and needed to be seen.  Even the one-and-doners seem to be gone ... off to the G League right away.  Now the NBA minor leagues following the Pay For Play initiatives.  

Good thing golf season is cranking up.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@Soderball:  good points all.  No arguments from me.

However, how about we eliminate college athletic scholarships completely.  Tell a kid "hey, you're getting $250k annually, you can afford to pay your own way to our $60k annually school and still be $190k in the black."  Of course, that likely won't work for the Djorde Curcic's of the world.  That would be funny.

Moreso now than ever I agree that they are mercenaries.  It is likely the final nail in my college viewership coffin.  As I noted in a previous thread, I am caught between rooting for the guys to win and for CTF to lose.  Now, it seems I just don't care one way or the other.  New coach?  Again, really don't care.  I've come to the realization that the root cause of the problem is the school itself.  No matter what the situation is that presents itself, Saint Louis University will always go the wrong way.  The names may change but the reality and plight never does.  I used to be an avid spectator.  I am fast becoming an occasional spectator.  And the same can be said for all of college basketball ---- I used to believe A10 viewing, Uconn/Marquette viewing, Ohio State/Michigan State viewing were all sacred and needed to be seen.  Even the one-and-doners seem to be gone ... off to the G League right away.  Now the NBA minor leagues following the Pay For Play initiatives.  

Good thing golf season is cranking up.  

Deep down, I think every MBM understands what I bolded from your post.  But it's a depressing realization.  At least flogging the current coach and AD keeps the dream alive.  Maybe the powers that be can change our plight by accident?  The universe conspired to give us Majerus.  Maybe it can happen again.

15 hours ago, Soderball said:

I don't think so. He can't defend. I don't think a top 25 level team is interested. Too many other guys that can shoot at a similar % but with more physicality. I'm very down on GJ after watching this conference season. Don't really care if he comes back, can be replaced. We need guys that have height and can defend & rebound.

If you're a coach who isn't horrible at his job, you look at that and say I see his offense and I can teach him to defend.  He is worth good money. You cant teach shooting.

On 2/19/2024 at 9:42 AM, House said:

The NIL budget for this year’s team is upper 6 figures.   A couple months ago, Troy felt next season would be the same. I don’t know if that forecast has changed based on how this season went. 

@ 750k for this year and next. 

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It seems like the issue isn't necessarily a lack of NIL funds.  It is just a misuse / squandering of them.  We've seen this story over and over again under May & Ford with regards to the men's basketball program.  Less with more.

Don't worry though Ford has a plan now.

It is apparent from the absurd contract given to Ford that there isn’t a great grasp on market rate relative to performance coming out of SLU. Is it really that big of a stretch to assume that also doesn’t apply to NIL? Overpay for a coach relative to his results, overpay for players relative to their abilities. 

If the 750K number @billikenfan05has is accurate, our NIL seems fine. My guess is that people don’t know how to spend it properly, which makes sense based on Ford’s deal.