GDT: SLU v. Loyola Chicago

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Said this last night at the game. Love Gibby, but he (seems to) never hit the three that ties it up, or takes the lead, or cuts in to a one possession game.  If we need a big shot at any point, I want it in Hargrove’s hands.  Only one on the team that has demonstrated any semblance of being “clutch”. 

Jimerson is one of the most elite shooters in the history of the NCAA. He may play in the NBA just because of how ridiculously high his % is. Watch him off the ball. His shooting ability is quite similar to Stephen Curry. He gets guarded as such.

Hargrove is open because usually his numbers have not been what they have been recently. He's never really been a bad 3pt shooter(his %s are quite respectable); this year he's just been phenomenally good.

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Sure don’t want The Big EZ to get down on himself. Our sloppy PG play, GibJim being ice cold, and 42% from the stripe as a team were more important factors than anything EZ did.

23 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Sure don’t want The Big EZ to get down on himself. Our sloppy PG play, GibJim being ice cold, and 42% from the stripe as a team were more important factors than anything EZ did.

"Big EZ" did his best Kareem impression in the first half last night.  He was yanked for not running back on defense, twice.  He's been a pleasant surprise, dropping weight has really helped his play but he stews on the court by himself, doesn't join huddles, gives up on plays, and maintains a distance from his teammates.  There is a reason why he has transferred so much.

billikenbill likes this

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-is there a source that would show our points scored by shot clock intervals? for example, we score X% of our points with 5 to 10 seconds elapsed on the shot clock, etc

-and in a similar vein what our PPP are in those same intervals?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but this has some good splits...

https://hoop-math.com/SaintLouis2024.php

56 minutes ago, thetorch said:

… He's been a pleasant surprise, dropping weight has really helped his play but he stews on the court by himself, doesn't join huddles, gives up on plays, and maintains a distance from his teammates …

Yep, not a good look. He clearly has talent but it looks he is his own worst critic. 

9 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

ill never forget (or forgive) pollard at the coca cola shoot out kevin lisch's senior year at althoff calling 4 fouls in about 3 minutes of floor time for lisch.   the whole arena was furious as most came to watch the home town boy. 

ted had more than one bad call last night.   he didnt lose the game for the billikens, but i swear ted wants the fans to hate him.   after that out of bounds call i screamed right after, "dont make us start throwing chairs Ted".   got a laugh from those around me.  

Remember this game too Roy.  Old Savvis Center.  I was 9 years old and it still sticks with me

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

From this clip and from the article Stu wrote late last month, Brad appears to be a humble, team first player.  He knows he has to improve and he knows what he has to do to improve, to reach his potential.  Yes we have only seen him in three games, and last night's effort wasn't his best.  He appeared to be winded on more than on occasion last night, bending over to catch his breathe during time outs, and we also know he had a hard landing on one play. 

16 ppg, 67% FG, 8 rpg is a good start.  In the 3 games, he has played 23 mpg.  That's over twice what he averaged at Georgetown.  He will get there.

I don't think enough has been made about not having a game for two weeks. No, this is not an "excuse" it's a bad decision. In the first 15 minutes we looked like a team that hadn't played a game in 2 weeks, then we competed for the next 20 minutes, but it was two big of a hill to climb. A lot of teams played between Christmas and New Years. At least schedule a cupcake to knock off some of the rest. Loyola played on Dec. 30 and they looked like a MUCH sharper team to start the game. 

Box and Won and DOC like this

22 minutes ago, ACE said:

I don't think enough has been made about not having a game for two weeks. No, this is not an "excuse" it's a bad decision. In the first 15 minutes we looked like a team that hadn't played a game in 2 weeks, then we competed for the next 20 minutes, but it was two big of a hill to climb. A lot of teams played between Christmas and New Years. At least schedule a cupcake to knock off some of the rest. Loyola played on Dec. 30 and they looked like a MUCH sharper team to start the game. 

Okay, I agree.

Who responsible putting together the OOC schedule? Usually the coach. Also, its not like the old days when had to compete with 'Disney on Ice', tractor pulls and the Blues to get a game date.

We may be talent challenged but not by much since Ezwiro showed up and maybe when Parker gets back in the groove. I maintain our problem is lack of any schemes on O other than the dreaded clock consuming weave. We run it but seemingly with no objective in mind. Gibby rarely gets an open look in our set offense. It as if Ford lets the players figure it out for themselves as to whether they have a good shot or not. Rather than having sets or plays they can follow to get a good shot. I can’t believe after all the practices they’ve gone thru their play still looks like an unscripted fire drill. That’s on the coach. 

2 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Okay, I agree.

Who responsible putting together the OOC schedule? Usually the coach. Also, its not like the old days when had to compete with 'Disney on Ice', tractor pulls and the Blues to get a game date.

Tate puts together most of the schedule.  They talked about this long break preseason.  It was a huge error.  Should have made put our D-2 glorified exhibition game during this layoff.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Hind sight is 50/50.  With the injuries to Jimerson, Hughes, Thames, Meadows, (and Parker), the two week break was advantageous in getting players back to better health.  Sure, perhaps, last night's results suggest the layoff was a mistake, but letting players recover certainly wasn't a mistake.

Some MBM's are critical of not playing a game, even if we have injuries to deal with.

Some MBM's would have been critical had there been a game and had any of our injured players received a setback.

We don't know when Dalger got injured in the past two weeks, but would he have been able to play in a game in that period?

1 hour ago, ACE said:

That would have required interrupting Ford's personal life which is probably why we didn't play a game between Christmas and New Years if you want some wild speculation.

I really have no other idea why we wouldn't have. Coulda scheduled the Redhawks or Eastern/Western IL to come in for 100k.

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Hind sight is 50/50.  With the injuries to Jimerson, Hughes, Tatum, Meadows, (and Parker), the two week break was advantageous in getting players back to better health.  Sure, perhaps, last night's results suggest the layoff was a mistake, but letting players recover certainly wasn't a mistake.

Some MBM's are critical of not playing a game, even if we have injuries to deal with.

Some MBM's would have been critical had there been a game and had any of our injured players received a setback.

We don't know when Dalger got injured in the past two weeks, but would he have been able to play in a game in that period?

Blue kool aid overdose. Even with this roster we could beat UMSL or Gorloks or whatever. Teams don't take two week breaks for a reason, hoosierpal

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but this has some good splits...

https://hoop-math.com/SaintLouis2024.php

-oh wow, thanks, not exactly but interesting

-so if I am reading that correctly, off a rebound or after an opponents score our fg% is higher the sooner we shoot, I interpret part of that as too often we get to desperation time on the shot clock and throw up a prayer or don't get a shot

-I would say trash the weave and get out on the run but apparently our team isn't in shape to play that style 

1 hour ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Okay, I agree.

I'm not at all absolving him of blame, like I said.. shoulda scheduled a cupcake.

10 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-oh wow, thanks, not exactly but interesting

-so if I am reading that correctly, off a rebound or after an opponents score our fg% is higher the sooner we shoot, I interpret part of that as too often we get to desperation time on the shot clock and throw up a prayer or don't get a shot

-I would say trash the weave and get out on the run but apparently our team isn't in shape to play that style 

Our turnover differential is too bad to run; up-tempo game styles exacerbate problems at the PG position. Hargrove and Thames would be fine, and you guys watch them and think we are ready to sprint. The reality is that Meadows and Cian will be handling the ball 70% of the time and will turn it over more in a transition-focused game plan.

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

Tate puts together most of the schedule.  They talked about this long break preseason.  It was a huge error.  Should have made put our D-2 glorified exhibition game during this layoff.

Does Tate do anything above average?

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

He's just friends with all the local kids who come back to visit him from not committing to SLU.

I was starting to think I was the only one who doesn’t think Tate is useful, glad to know I’m not.