SLU Baseball 2024

OkieBilliken

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

To the St. Louis peeps…GO SEE THEM PLAY!!!!!  Bring a seat cushion…not that bad..they are 6-0 with me watching…I’ve done my part….my next look is the New Orleans trip.  

Were you at the Lindenwood game?

3 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

We hit seven home runs today????  Damn!!!!!!

7 dingers, this team crushes the ball.

Saw the baseball squad play at SIUE and beat them again and wondered if the AD knows that’s what a normal baseball stadium looks like? Guy just is awful. He really needs to wake up and look at Lindenwood last week and SIUE today, oh and they had replay at both places. Which is embarrassing too. Nothing flashy, just a normal baseball stadium. May really has no clue.

1 minute ago, slu92 said:

Saw the baseball squad play at SIUE and beat them again and wondered if the AD knows that’s what a normal baseball stadium looks like? Guy just is awful. He really needs to wake up and look at Lindenwood last week and SIUE today, oh and they had replay at both places. Which is embarrassing too. Nothing flashy, just a normal baseball stadium. May really has no clue.

while i agree that SLU needs to update their baseball and softball venues, why do you think May is to blame for that?   is he supposed to pay for that himself?   the athletic department budget and capital improvements are approved by the BoT.   go talk to them.  

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

while i agree that SLU needs to update their baseball and softball venues, why do you think May is to blame for that?   is he supposed to pay for that himself?   the athletic department budget and capital improvements are approved by the BoT.   go talk to them.  

Are you serious? 

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

May has been there 17 years. Totally screwed up lighting gift by declining that gift and royally pissing off well connected local guys by insulting their dad’s legacy by not taking their gift, because he didn’t want to spend $150/200k for install! But instead spent over $20 million on a building baseball team, along with others can’t even eat in that’s not paid off. No press box, no seating, no normal dugouts, no heating or cooling for indoor hitting “garage” but can be allowed to hand out dumbest mbb contract and waste millions and millions? 

SIUE and Lindenwood actually market and ticket baseball program. I’ll bet they make more revenue than slu wsoc. Slu is just lazy and not interested, starts at the top. Keep defending May, that’s a great hill to die on. Guy could care less about anybody but himself or university but you defend him. lol 

Yeah, May completely fumbled the baseball gift. Plus the actual surface of the field this year, that's inexcusable.

And yet, this team has started 8-0 for the first time since 1966, they lead the nation in runs, and they broke the program record for home runs in a game.

They have a legit shot to start 11-0 with a 2-5 Le Moyne team coming to town this weekend. Everybody needs to get out to The House That May Didn't Build on Friday or Saturday or Sunday (or all of the above) and watch these guys mash.

27 minutes ago, slu92 said:

May has been there 17 years. Totally screwed up lighting gift by declining that gift and royally pissing off well connected local guys by insulting their dad’s legacy by not taking their gift, because he didn’t want to spend $150/200k for install! But instead spent over $20 million on a building baseball team, along with others can’t even eat in that’s not paid off. No press box, no seating, no normal dugouts, no heating or cooling for indoor hitting “garage” but can be allowed to hand out dumbest mbb contract and waste millions and millions? 

SIUE and Lindenwood actually market and ticket baseball program. I’ll bet they make more revenue than slu wsoc. Slu is just lazy and not interested, starts at the top. Keep defending May, that’s a great hill to die on. Guy could care less about anybody but himself or university but you defend him. lol 

you think may approved the champion center?   he might have been the guy to organize the campaign and find the booster that is paying for it, but ther BoT would have approved a project of that magnitude.   what do you do for a living?  

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you think may approved the champion center?   he might have been the guy to organize the campaign and find the booster that is paying for it, but ther BoT would have approved a project of that magnitude.   what do you do for a living?  

Give him a lifetime contract. Guy is a champion. You are right. Proven track record of success. Loves slu and stl so much it’s why he hasn’t taken a P5 AD job after all these years….If May organized the campaign and found donors then why hasn’t he done same with baseball stadium or NIL? You just confirmed why he is considered a dope. And as far as what do I do for a living? I am a male model, just like Chris May is an AD. 

1 hour ago, slu92 said:

May was at the game today.

51 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

The Champion Center was definitely May’s project. 100% funded by private donations . Besides Bob O’s title sponsor there was something like 8 or 9 million dollar plus contributions. Plus probably another 50 contributors. The Board of Trustees had nothing to do with funding except some of them were major contributors. 

There's a lot of discussion about the BoT on here lately. It's become a way to excuse perceived mistakes by Director May, or to blame for action or inaction.

I spent a while examining each of them and there are some impressive people on the BoT.  I'm not sure how engaged they are, or how much they care about sports.  However, I do know that's not necessarily their main concern. Also the BoT are not employees of the university it's more like volunteer work.

There are 38 members all but one live in the United States, the one lives in Seoul RoK, most in St. Louis or Chicago.  There are multiple Jesuit priests to include the president of Creighton and Fordham.  If you want to meet one of them you can attend Mass at the college church one works there. There are multiple attorneys, CEOs, one MD, one executive from the gaming industry, a professor at GW, a few philanthropists, a few retirees (former CEO types), and others.  I did not notice any veterans but maybe I missed it.

After examining the Board, I don't blame them for Chris May's shortcomings. I realize they are probably all very busy people and the characterization provided by @Pistolon how things are passed is likely to be correct.  Now I'm sure there are members that are more influential than others especially when it comes to sports.  I hope those members initiate action. Get that change and we probably get a better baseball field and coach.

https://www.slu.edu/about/leadership/board-of-trustees.php

A few of these bios need to be updated.

Hendrickson watching his pitching give away the game to the worst team on this year's schedule:

mrw-my-five-year-old-properly-corrects-m

Le Moyne lost their last two games by a combined 33 runs to a team whose record is now 2-5.

They beat the Billikens 6-5 today.  

35 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

Hendrickson watching his pitching give away the game to the worst team on this year's schedule:

Le Moyne lost their last two games by a combined 33 runs to a team whose record is now 2-5.

College ⚾️ 

10 hours ago, BillTheCat said:

Did Dr. Pestello set up this game?  Maybe we should blame him for the loss.