SLU Baseball 2024

OkieBilliken

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

Thye have been practicing at Grizzlies Ballpark in Sauget.

Which has artificial turf so you can practice there in weather you can’t at SLU. Also, I’m sure the money the Grizzlies get by renting out the field to other groups (like SLU), helps pay the bills. Be nice if SLU could do the same.  Also would make SLU practice a lot easier than heading over to Sauget every time they want to practice on a field. Just saying.

2 hours ago, Speyburn said:

Thye have been practicing at Grizzlies Ballpark in Sauget.

That's one reason to drive over to Sauget.

10 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

That's one reason to drive over to Sauget.

Here’s a reason to go over there:

Grizzlies Ballpark sells a unique food item called "Baseball's Best Burger", a variant of the Luther Burger. It consists of a bacon cheeseburger with a Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnut used as a bun.

SLU really is such a low bar of mediocrity that they would do a press release for a new grass outfield that should’ve been done years ago. Plus it should be turf! It’s sad how far behind the times this department really is right now and celebrating a basic need for a program. 
Plus, that quote doesn’t sound like Coach Hendrickson at all. Real facilities improvements have always been important to him, and he knows SLU’s are an issue, has to know.  I don’t see him “excited” for new grass. Then again nothing surprises me down there these days. I don’t know many coaches would say any thing like that with a serious face, much less want to out a press release out like this. Can’t wait for next big facilities improvement news from baseball program…maybe they will announce they have acquired 4 new waste cans? Or maybe new benches for the dugouts? Or new water coolers for practices and games? Can’t wait. 

4 minutes ago, slu92 said:

SLU really is such a low bar of mediocrity that they would do a press release for a new grass outfield that should’ve been done years ago. Plus it should be turf! It’s sad how far behind the times this department really is right now and celebrating a basic need for a program. 
Plus, that quote doesn’t sound like Coach Hendrickson at all. Real facilities improvements have always been important to him, and he knows SLU’s are an issue, has to know.  I don’t see him “excited” for new grass. Then again nothing surprises me down there these days. I don’t know many coaches would say any thing like that with a serious face, much less want to out a press release out like this. Can’t wait for next big facilities improvement news from baseball program…maybe they will announce they have acquired 4 new waste cans? Or maybe new benches for the dugouts? Or new water coolers for practices and games? Can’t wait. 

How about installing the new lights that were purchased?  

IMG_9722.thumb.jpeg.89e57036a3e1de5619d3eb67162f65c9.jpegThis is what an NCAA D1 press release about their baseball field should look and sound like….its not Chris Mays fault honesty. It really isn’t, because when you have a wiener as your AD, they are going to act and do things like a huge wiener would do naturally. And he might be the biggest wiener in town right now. It’s Fred’s fault. But in all fairness his idea of baseball is probably men with handle bar mustaches, playing with three finger fat gloves they leave in the field for other team when they go to bat and him singing Shoeless Joe from Hannibal, MO in the shower. 

11 minutes ago, TRN said:

I can’t say who told me this but new lights are coming, but next Chris May is working on a major project since he is on a roll literally with major upgrade to field….he’s close to announcing the addition of a new 12x12 storage shed, that not only will enhance the student athletes experience year round at SLU but it will also store field equipment. Rumor has it this shed is as cutting edge as the one the Affton Athletic Association dedicated two years ago. Game changer in the storage world of college athletics. I also hear a prominent anonymous Boy Scout troop who needs to earn their carpenter badges might be fixing and reconditioning the team benches in both of the dugouts. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

32 minutes ago, TRN said:

Seriously it’s my understanding from alums that lights were set to be donated and Chris May didn’t take them because he wanted donor to also pay for installation and balked, so donor was left out and now they play all day games (see start times on schedule) so forget about crowds being decent. Can you imagine, can’t even pay to install donated lights? Zero attempts to at least act like he cares or put a plan together. Which might be a good thing because if he paid enough attention to baseball as he does basketball, they would be getting 10 runned by the likes of East Central JUCO JV team, 40 and over rec teams and Valley Park HS. Always a silver lining if you look hard enough. What a joke. 

9 hours ago, slu92 said:

Seriously it’s my understanding from alums that lights were set to be donated and Chris May didn’t take them because he wanted donor to also pay for installation and balked, so donor was left out and now they play all day games (see start times on schedule) so forget about crowds being decent. Can you imagine, can’t even pay to install donated lights? Zero attempts to at least act like he cares or put a plan together. Which might be a good thing because if he paid enough attention to baseball as he does basketball, they would be getting 10 runned by the likes of East Central JUCO JV team, 40 and over rec teams and Valley Park HS. Always a silver lining if you look hard enough. What a joke. 

When did we lose the lights in the first place? We were regularly playing CUSA Friday night tilts under the lights twenty something years ago. What constituted the change? 

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

When did we lose the lights in the first place? We were regularly playing CUSA Friday night tilts under the lights twenty something years ago. What constituted the change? 

Agreed.   I spent many a shivering evening under the lights in those crappy bleachers.   Haven't been back in a couple of years.  

57 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Agreed.   I spent many a shivering evening under the lights in those crappy bleachers.   Haven't been back in a couple of years.  

I don't understand either. Did we remove the lights thinking we were ready to put in the new LEDs and then got the rug pulled? I know for a fact the lights were donated and we can't afford to install them, but were the old lights broken or prematurely removed? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

40 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't understand either. Did we remove the lights thinking we were ready to put in the new LEDs and then got the rug pulled? I know for a fact the lights were donated and we can't afford to install them, but were the old lights broken or prematurely removed? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Are the stands for the lights to be mounted in still there?  Are there power lines leading to the light mountings?  If this is all existing, it shouldn’t cost too much. If for some silly reason you needed to replace of move existing mountings that could get expensive, but mounting new lights to the existing, if it’s compatible, shouldn’t be that expensive.

The light poles are still up. In fact the light poles on the first base side are also used for the lights on the soccer field, which is why the lighting on the soccer field is uneven as the lights on the pressbox side are closer to the field.

Well, damaged power lines run to the poles that require pulling new power leads from the breaker to the light is about the only thing I can think of that would get expensive, assuming the mounting poles don’t need to be replaced for some silly reason. Otherwise it can’t cost that much to place them.

thatskablamo likes this

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Well, damaged power lines run to the poles that require pulling new power leads from the breaker to the light is about the only thing I can think of that would get expensive, assuming the mounting poles don’t need to be replaced for some silly reason. Otherwise it can’t cost that much to place them.

That’s a 220, right? 

IMG_1081.jpeg

Lord Elrond and brianstl like this

FWIW - without making any announcement SLU adjusted their schedule for the upcoming weekend at the Snowbird Tournament in Port Charlotte, FL.   They added two games, a second game with both St. Thomas and Illinois State.   They no longer play Maine.    They have played at this complex before in 2020.   Not a bad facility, but not great.   Nice fields but lots of chain link fencing instead of netting from what I recall.

11 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

FWIW - without making any announcement SLU adjusted their schedule for the upcoming weekend at the Snowbird Tournament in Port Charlotte, FL.   They added two games, a second game with both St. Thomas and Illinois State.   They no longer play Maine.    They have played at this complex before in 2020.   Not a bad facility, but not great.   Nice fields but lots of chain link fencing instead of netting from what I recall.

The Andre Dawson Classic. 

IMG_1169.jpeg

SLU_Lax and OkieBilliken like this

D1 Baseball came out with their A-10 Season Preview today, and SLU is projected #1 overall and the only NCAA tournament team (traditional 1 bid league).  

Saint Louis - Projected NCAA Regional Team    
Saint Joseph’s    
George Mason    
Davidson    
Dayton    
VCU    
Rhode Island    
Richmond    
George Washington    
Fordham    
Massachusetts    
St. Bonaventure

Here's Clohisy and an unhappy catcher... :)

A-10.png