GDT: SLU v. Louisiana Tech

SluSignGuy

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Per the pregame interview with Rammer and Earl, the first challenge Coach Ford issued to Ezewiro was to lose 30-40 lbs.  That may explain why he was so spry in his first game.  He's not the same lumbering hulk who was at Georgetown. 

The next set of challenges for him is to learn the plays (since he wasn't playing he was on the scout team) and to get in game shape.

I remain skeptical of our strength and conditioning coaches since Hornett left. So many lengthy injuries, I would also include fatigue as a reasoning for the late game collapses. Ezewiro isn’t in game shape? Was he injured? Doesn’t compute for me. 

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

from watching ford ball for the last decade, i find it hard to believe there is a billiken playbook.   maybe a pamphlet or a suggestion list.   but no playbook.   if there is, none of the ford teams ever learned it very well.  there is a lot of standing around and selfishness from my view.   

I see some every now and then. The curl for Perkins to the elbow now Jimerson happened last game. Those guys can hit that shot. Many coaches have gone away from that due to analytics and it being out of favor.  The much maligned weave. Which I think is to get the other team moving back and forth and perhaps open up something but it's ineffective. That's 2. I'm not really sure what offensive philosophy our Coach runs.

As to 05's point about the conditioning. I agree on Ez. He's not in game shape? We're a 1/3 through the season. Practice should be harder than the games. These dudes are 20 something year old athletes not 40 year olds at the Y. They get paid to play basketball.

As for the scout team not running the plays. Yeah I've been to practice. Usually coaches run different lines ups. In all the practices I guess Ez was just to dense or they were too busy for him to get a few reps?!  This is basketball not rocket surgery.

13 hours ago, DOC said:

I said nothing of the kind. You like to write a lot, but you suck at reading.

For sure you struggle with comprehension. You need to get back over to your thread and get that next billboard idea moving along. 

4 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

So you rushed the court?

You on repeat about this is so you. 

MB73 likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

from watching ford ball for the last decade, i find it hard to believe there is a billiken playbook.   maybe a pamphlet or a suggestion list.   but no playbook.   if there is, none of the ford teams ever learned it very well.  there is a lot of standing around and selfishness from my view.   

I know it drives you crazy, but everytime they run the weave, that is a set play.  They guys look at the bench, a play is called and they run it.

willie likes this

43 minutes ago, DOC said:

For sure you struggle with comprehension. You need to get back over to your thread and get that next billboard idea moving along. 

You on repeat about this is so you. 

Seemed like it was a huge win. A career defining moment. A season saver.  Just wondering if ya' stormed the court? Seems like the kinda thing you do in that situation. You didn't answer. Thanks to HoosierPal for sharing a video. It revealed that sadly no one stormed the court. I guess those in attendance didn't realize the ramifications of the game like you.

But I'll take your word for it. I'm pumped big-time win over Karl Malone and LA TECH!!!!!  That team is legit they were in the NIT 2 years ago. #GOTEAMBLUE

#FORD=Napoleon of Roundball

I hope the B-East Commissioner was watching that'll be on VHS tape we send over for why we should get in. 

CBI here we come!  I'm making hotel reservations don't want the Knights Inn to sell out. When the Billikens roll into town with dozens of fans.

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

Well, of course the sniping will continue on this board, even after a pretty exciting victory. But if nothing else, the last three games should at least put to rest "the team has quite on Ford" narrative. 

Ford has clearly reclaimed the locker room. But you don’t lose by 39 without some sort of issue within/between the team and staff. At least it’s resolved and we have watchable basketball again. 

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Well, of course the sniping will continue on this board, even after a pretty exciting victory. But if nothing else, the last three games should at least put to rest "the team has quite on Ford" narrative. 

Still plenty of time to quite. We only finished the Wilfred Brimley Diabeetus Cupcake part of the schedule. We've emerged as the Net anchor. I sure hope LaSalle doesn't try to get the conference to kick us out because we're bringing down the A10.

35 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-we scored to end the first half on a good looking set

We did but I really wonder if calling that timeout with 20 seconds or so left was necessary - that time out would have been big at the end of the game.  Fortunately La Tech called a couple of time outs that helped Ford out.  Somehow, I can't help but to think we couldn't have scored without calling the time out.  Ford often wastes in my opinion time outs doing that in lots of games. 

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ford has clearly reclaimed the locker room. But you don’t lose by 39 without some sort of issue within/between the team and staff. At least it’s resolved and we have watchable basketball again. 

We still played last game without two starters. When they come back, there might be more watchable basketball on the way. A starting lineup of Brad, TJ, Parker, Gibby and Meadows WITH a bench of Dalger, Bruce, Cian, LH and Thames figures to be a lot more watchable. Gotta get healthy. Thames is the one player who I think is potentially a pretty exciting X-factor. He shows some flashes of being a dynamic role player, unfortunately he often seems hobbled.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

We did but I really wonder if calling that timeout with 20 seconds or so left was necessary - that time out would have been big at the end of the game.  Fortunately La Tech called a couple of time outs that helped Ford out.  Somehow, I can't help but to think we couldn't have scored without calling the time out.  Ford often wastes in my opinion time outs doing that in lots of games. 

That could have been the "use it lose it" timeout in the first half. A lot of coaches use it with about a minute to go. In other words, it wouldn't have been there to use at the end of the game. 

Billikenbooster likes this

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

-it was use it or lose it timeout

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I agree with you but it turned out to be a good thing. If he had a timeout TJ never would have gotten the ball. 

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

We still played last game without two starters. When they come back, there might be more watchable basketball on the way. A starting lineup of Brad, TJ, Parker, Gibby and Meadows WITH a bench of Dalger, Bruce, Cian, LH and Thames figures to be a lot more watchable. Gotta get healthy. Thames is the one player who I think is potentially a pretty exciting X-factor. He shows some flashes of being a dynamic role player, unfortunately he often seems hobbled.

Although Cian had a strong game and LHJ is healing, we still need Meadows back because it is a long season and PG's can wear out.  

6 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Although Cian had a strong game and LHJ is healing, we still need Meadows back because it is a long season and PG's can wear out.  

I don't think LHJ has looked very good since the first game of the season, I figure that has been due to injury. The one positive is that it has forced Medley to gain a lot of experience and he's starting to look like a more confident player. 

21 minutes ago, ACE said:

I fear Dalger is in the starting lineup for good. He is the new Ford favorite. I don’t mind his defense and rebounding, but he never passes, and should not be shooting ever. 

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I fear Dalger is in the starting lineup for good. He is the new Ford favorite. I don’t mind his defense and rebounding, but he never passes, and should not be shooting ever. 

He is scoring almost 11 points a game while playing pretty good defense and doing some rebounding.  It would be nice if he passed occasionally though.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I know it drives you crazy, but everytime they run the weave, that is a set play.  They guys look at the bench, a play is called and they run it.

well if the weave is a "play", it is most unsuccessful play ever.   imo it only serves to run clock so we can hoist up a bad shot with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.   if you call that a play, well....................

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well if the weave is a "play", it is most unsuccessful play ever.   imo it only serves to run clock so we can hoist up a bad shot with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.   if you call that a play, well....................

Just curious, if it’s not called a play, what would a better thing to call it be?

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

Just curious, if it’s not called a play, what would a better thing to call it be?

I would classify the weave as a variation or component of a motion offense, where a decision is made based on what the defense is giving you.

willie likes this