What are the chances Bradley get his waiver granted this week??

BLIKNS

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Save this post.  Two to three years from now, I'm betting you have hit the bullseye dead center.  It will be interesting to see "trades" for lack of a better term, between teams. 

Maybe it will be like soccer, and the school that gains a player pays a transfer fee to the school losing the player?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Players who play even one game burn a year of eligibility, unless the NCAA approves a redshirt.  That's not limited to two-time transfers, that's any player.  So I understand the  NCAA's position.  I don't like it but I understand it.  They're digging their heels and daring schools to put their players' eligibility at risk.

Its also time for CBB to allow a few games to be played and still be able to redshirt.  Stupid that in football you can play a third of the season and still redshirt, but in basketball you cant even play 3 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Players who play even one game burn a year of eligibility, unless the NCAA approves a redshirt.  That's not limited to two-time transfers, that's any player.  So I understand the  NCAA's position.  I don't like it but I understand it.  They're digging their heels and daring schools to put their players' eligibility at risk.

-it sure seems that the NCAA lawyers are making the decisions there in order to keep themselves busy, they intentionally invite legal action

So does Brad roll the dice and play the two games, hoping he doesn't get snake eyes?  Or does he wait until the hearing on the 27th?  Perhaps there will be a clearer ruling from the hearing before the first conference game on Jan 3.

If it is me, I'd wait.  Plus, has the NCAA stopped processing waivers?

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So does Brad roll the dice and play the two games, hoping he doesn't get snake eyes?  Or does he wait until the hearing on the 27th?  Perhaps there will be a clearer ruling from the hearing before the first conference game on Jan 3.

If it is me, I'd wait.  Plus, has the NCAA stopped processing waivers?

Yes.

https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/basketball/ncaa-notifies-schools-two-time-transfers-could-lose-season-of-eligibility-if-they-play-during-two-week-restraining-order-window

The NCAA also noted that no transfer waivers/appeals will be granted in this time window and all of that processing is being paused until Dec. 27.

"I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone's *really* hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet. You're not sure where he's coming from. Okay? You're a bad man. You're a bad man, Mikey. You're a bad man, bad man." Trent in "Swingers

Being the nice guy has gotten us no where. Push it and dare the NCAA to act. Ask Ez of course if he's willing to risk it for the biscuit. If so go for it? What do you have to lose? A guy that's most likely a 1 year rental and maybe save your job?

2 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-it sure seems that the NCAA lawyers are making the decisions there in order to keep themselves busy, they intentionally invite legal action

And they usually lose the legal action they invite. I don’t think of the NCAA as corrupt, but I do think they are monumentally stupid.

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

And they usually lose the legal action they invite. I don’t think of the NCAA as corrupt, but I do think they are monumentally stupid.

Yeah it's bizarre. Like they are hastening their own demise.

40 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

They are stubborn and egotistical. 
Mix those two with a dose of stupidity and it’s a recipe for disaster. 

From ESPN.  Last night more 2x players sat than played.

UNLV's Keylan Boone, who started his career at Oklahoma State before transferring to Pacific for a year and then to UNLV, made an immediate impact in his debut for the Runnin' Rebels. Boone came off the bench to score 10 points and grab six rebounds in a 79-64 upset win over No. 8 Creighton.

However, the majority of programs kept their newly-eligible players on the bench out of precaution. LSU star guard Jalen Cook, who transferred from Tulane after starting his career in Baton Rouge, was held out of the Tigers' game against Alabama State. UTSA and McNeese held out multiple players who could have been back on the court, while Little Rock's Makhel Mitchell and Southern Miss' Andre Curbelo also didn't suit up.

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

This article has come to the same conclusion so many of us already have:

"If the court’s decision is overturned, Battle and other similarly situated athletes who compete during the 14-day period could lose a year of eligibility."

So far a significant majority of schools aren't willing to take that risk.  If it was a 90-day injunction, sure.  For two games? 

Of course us MBMS want other folks to take big risks that could improve our basketball viewing experience.  They bear the responsibility if the decision blows up in their faces, we don't.  The fallout will be entertaining message board fodder either way.

From a risk prospective, Ezewiro has already taken the big risk. He did so months ago when he became a 2 time transfer.   Turns out  that was a 10 % chance of winning.   The next gamble is... should he play the next 2 weeks. That success probability  starts out at about 70%.  Is that a hypothetical guess?  No...The judge doesn't grant a TRO unless there is a high probability the players will win the case.   That plus the fact that he will probably grant another order for the same reason in a couple of weeks...ie to continue to prevent harm  to the players. The judge has implied  you have a good chance of winning...the next order or legal proceeding will probably last at least 3 months and therefore will make the whole issue of burning a year of eligibility a  moot point as the season will be over by then.  

The judge's stance is he wants to protect the players...Now that the NCAA has spit in the face of the judge by trying to nullify and over  turn his ruling and cause further harm to the players by making it more difficult to play (threatening players with a 1 year  burn)  the probability of player having a successful out come probably increases to 80%.

The players and the schools took a a  10% chance of successful outcome at the start of the season. Why not take the 80% chance of success now.  Some may argue ...yeah but at least  you don't burn a year of eligibility...True ...instead you burn a year of your life...a strange trade off.

To the NCAA....by trying to save themselves they are hastening their death.  LET THE KIDS PLAY.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think any court is going to allow NCAA to apply a negative outcome to any athlete that followed the judge’s ruling.  

I don't think so either as it will be more lawsuits. Also the rule is applied unevenly as we've already pointed out. In Football a player can make 4 appearances without losing a year of eligibility why can't you appear in any basketball games?

The uneven application of rules and the US rule of law to protect the individual will win out. 

If Ez wants to play, then play.

As for our international players. It's a little trickier but we could see a future lawsuit. Persons admitted legally to the US are in almost all cases treated by law as a US Person. However, I'm not completely sure what type of visa foreign student athletes get and the wording of the visa. Also they are not able to earn money. However, if the condition of their scholarship is based on playing a sport and the NCAA is hindering them playing that sport they may have a case. Therefore, the NCAA stalling granting eligibility to a student athlete, when a school has already deemed they meet the entry requirements is an undue penalty.

brianstl likes this

What's kind of ironic here is that in January, D1 conferences wanted the rules to be tightened.  They were tightened, and now some of the same schools are upset.

On January 11, the Division I Council—which includes a voting representative from each Division I conference—voted unanimously to significantly tighten the criteria for undergraduate students who transfer for a second time to be granted a waiver to play immediately.

TheChosenOne likes this