Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

9 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Surely you can see that your point applies to the other side too, though?   I acknowledge that certain fans want to be positive about the team at all times, even if they are not happy with the results. I even respect it, and I can see how the frequent negativity directed mainly at Ford and May would get tiresome. But on the other side of the coin, those of us who have frequently been “negative” are mainly doing so not because we think we aren’t being heard, but because it is critically important for the program’s decision makers to continually understand the fans’ displeasure.  SLU fans don’t boo at the games. This is our outlet to say “We are not okay with where this program is headed and we demand change.”

I think we all know that important people read this board. I understand that players probably do too (which is why I try, even if I sometimes fail, to keep the criticism to Ford and May).   

We don’t think that nobody is hearing us, or that those who don’t complain are happy with the direction of the program. And we certainly do have better things to do (@ Travis).  But we are not willing to risk radio silence on the main Billiken forum being interpreted by the decision makers as fan apathy.  If they think the fans don’t care, they have no reason (or at least no urgency) to make an expensive, but necessary change.  I’m personally not willing to risk that, so will continue to point out Ford and May’s inadequacies.  But we do hear you. 

This post is as close to perfect as it gets. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Craig Berube wishes Chris May was his boss this morning.

I wonder if this was partly a mercy firing - Berube may have been mental suffering from the team's lack of play.  He may look back at this and see it was good for him ultimately.  He will be hired some place else at some point.  The NHL changes coaches pretty quickly.  Their play this year has not been appreciably better than last year.  I know they were only one point out of a playoff spot but honestly, they just blew a big chance to make hay with all these losses to poor teams.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I wonder if this was partly a mercy firing - Berube may have been mental suffering from the team's lack of play.  He may look back at this and see it was good for him ultimately.  He will be hired some place else at some point.  The NHL changes coaches pretty quickly.  Their play this year has not been appreciably better than last year.  I know they were only one point out of a playoff spot but honestly, they just blew a big chance to make hay with all these losses to poor teams.

This is an incredibly refreshing display of accountability from Armstrong, a man who brought our city a Cup in 2019.   Total contrast to the constant excuses we have heard from May, Ford, Marmol, Mozeliak, DeWitt.  I can’t see any of those five ever admitting they feel personally responsible for a speeding ticket, let alone the state of their program/organization. 

35 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

This is an incredibly refreshing display of accountability from Armstrong, a man who brought our city a Cup in 2019.   Total contrast to the constant excuses we have heard from May, Ford, Marmol, Mozeliak, DeWitt.  I can’t see any of those five ever admitting they feel personally responsible for a speeding ticket, let alone the state of their program/organization. 

You can delegate authority but you can't delegate responsibility. 

14 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Surely you can see that your point applies to the other side too, though?   I acknowledge that certain fans want to be positive about the team at all times, even if they are not happy with the results. I even respect it, and I can see how the frequent negativity directed mainly at Ford and May would get tiresome. But on the other side of the coin, those of us who have frequently been “negative” are mainly doing so not because we think we aren’t being heard, but because it is critically important for the program’s decision makers to continually understand the fans’ displeasure.  SLU fans don’t boo at the games. This is our outlet to say “We are not okay with where this program is headed and we demand change.”

I think we all know that important people read this board. I understand that players probably do too (which is why I try, even if I sometimes fail, to keep the criticism to Ford and May).   

We don’t think that nobody is hearing us, or that those who don’t complain are happy with the direction of the program. And we certainly do have better things to do (@ Travis).  But we are not willing to risk radio silence on the main Billiken forum being interpreted by the decision makers as fan apathy.  If they think the fans don’t care, they have no reason (or at least no urgency) to make an expensive, but necessary change.  I’m personally not willing to risk that, so will continue to point out Ford and May’s inadequacies.  But we do hear you. 

I do absolutely see your side, and some of what you think is your "side" is also my side.  I'm just not as vocal about it.  I also am fully behind the idea that everyone on this board is entitled to their opinion.  Here are my two issues with what I am seeing:

1. The constant negativity leaks into every thread on the board.  I just want to be able to discuss some Billiken topics without hearing about how Ford should be fired.  Let's suppose I really want to talk about the 1948 NIT championship team.  That's a legitimate Billiken discussion topic.  If I were to incessantly post about that topic on GDTs, recruiting threads, former player threads, etc. that would really get old for everyone else that wants to focus on a certain topic in those threads.

2. The guys who choose to constantly post about their opinions about Ford go on the attack against any post that isn't ending with "Fire Ford."  If someone compliments the team's mental toughness in a win, it gets responded to with "doesn't matter, you're an idiot, why are you praising the team, we will never win again unless we Fire Ford."  Someone compliments Bruce's progression over a few games "doesn't matter, your an idiot if you get to attached to Bruce, he'll be gone when Ford gets fired." 

So, yes, I see your points.  I just don't want read it in every other post.

7 minutes ago, DOC said:

How's the billboard fundraiser going? 

You want in?

I was asking to not do that just yet. We're not into embarrassing our school unless that's a last resort.  I would think you don't want that to happen so it's weird that you'd keep poking the bear.

dlarry likes this

That sounds to me like an excuse for something that didn't gain any traction. Sorry, but I just never had any faith you guys would/could do anything other than get on here and whine away under the guise that you are making a difference. To think that the people who will determine Ford's future give even one thought to what some people post on this site is laughable. They think like Ford does about the folks who post here incessantly.  

35 minutes ago, Soderball said:

What's your relation to Ford?

I think it's time for a change in leadership at SLU. I would let Ford and May go. What I won't do is repeat myself over and over and over about it and then say it's necessary so the people in charge know how upset we are.

33 minutes ago, DOC said:

That sounds to me like an excuse for something that didn't gain any traction. Sorry, but I just never had any faith you guys would/could do anything other than get on here and whine away under the guise that you are making a difference. To think that the people who will determine Ford's future give even one thought to what some people post on this site is laughable. They think like Ford does about the folks who post here incessantly.  

31 minutes ago, DOC said:

I think it's time for a change in leadership at SLU. I would let Ford and May go. What I won't do is repeat myself over and over and over about it and then say it's necessary so the people in charge know how upset we are.

But you're doing exactly that, pretty sure you've made this point before incessantly.

Despite what coach Ford says we do have better things to do and it's the holidays. We're not done yet. We've only just begun.

52 minutes ago, DOC said:

Please tell me this is a bit?  This has to be a character right?  I’ll admit, it’s almost funny, I kind of laughed. 

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Please tell me this is a bit?  This has to be a character right?  I’ll admit, it’s almost funny, I kind of laughed. 

Yeah I think he was doing the bit in another thread. It was the message board equivalent of the "stop replying all" email. But I'm not sure. If so tip o' the cap on the bit.

More likely it's a 60+ year old man that doesn't understand how the Internet works.

But Kudos to him for registering and posting messages. I didn't realize jitterbugs had 5G/wifi capabilities.

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah I think he was doing the bit in another thread. It was the message board equivalent of the "stop replying all" email. But I'm not sure. If so tip o' the cap on the bit.

More likely it's a 60+ year old man that doesn't understand how the Internet works.

But Kudos to him for registering and posting messages. I didn't realize jitterbugs had 5G/wifi capabilities.

Pulling the “excuse” card whilst arguing in defense of the biggest excuse maker this city has seen this century was just too big of a tell. 

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

But you're doing exactly that, pretty sure you've made this point before incessantly.

Despite what coach Ford says we do have better things to do and it's the holidays. We're not done yet. We've only just begun.

I know Dr. Chaifetz is anxiously awaiting your next billboard idea. 

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

I know Dr. Chaifetz is anxiously awaiting your next billboard idea. 

You seem confused. Sundowning is a thing maybe post more in the morning when you're lucid.

It's gone from "create a singular thread for all your Ford hatred because it's so annoying to read it everywhere" to "stop posting in your singular Ford thread because it's so annoying to read that thread I asked you to create"

I'll give Ford credit. He has a lot of people that are incredibly loyal to him. They're even posting on the board now