2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

interesting, I was just going off what mizzou beat writers were saying and it was said that once they commit, they can start making money.  Its what separates Missouri from most states with NIL. 

Right. I was just pointing out a technicality since the legislation has not gone into effect yet. Once the legislation goes into effect, an in-state commit can start earning money the day that they commit. Had this kid waited a couple of weeks to commit, he would have been able to start earning money the day he committed, but since it isn't the law yet, he has to wait two weeks or whatever that exact date is.

wgstl and brianstl like this

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Good luck enforcing any sort of clawback provision in a contract signed by a minor. That is rife with issues. I like that the guys can get paid as high school athletes, but there is no legal way to recoup lost money if 17 year old Charlie decides to go to Florida instead of SLU. 

The overwhelming number of student-athletes can sign a contract ..... "In all states, the age requirement to sign a contract is 18 years of age. A child under the age of 18 is considered a minor and is unable to sign a contract unless it is for essential items".

10 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

The overwhelming number of student-athletes can sign a contract ..... "In all states, the age requirement to sign a contract is 18 years of age. A child under the age of 18 is considered a minor and is unable to sign a contract unless it is for essential items".

You highlighted the issue in Missouri with HS kids signing NIL contracts.  Most would be under 18 until they are into their senior year of HS.  Those HS contracts aren't legally enforceable, so sure, grab the money from Old State U as a HS senior, then skip to another gig when you graduate.

I'd like to see how these new HS NIL's are being written.  Guardian sign?

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Right. I was just pointing out a technicality since the legislation has not gone into effect yet. Once the legislation goes into effect, an in-state commit can start earning money the day that they commit. Had this kid waited a couple of weeks to commit, he would have been able to start earning money the day he committed, but since it isn't the law yet, he has to wait two weeks or whatever that exact date is.

The BVF should be setting up a satellite office at Link Prep right now. 

JMM28 likes this

35 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I will bet my house that we finish better than 9th in the A-10.

really?  I mean, I *think* we also finish higher but not much higher. 6-8 sounds right to me.  UD, VCU, Bonnies, and Dukes are clearly ahead by a lot. I think the joeys and Loychi are are also ahead of us. 

I think we have the best 1-3 or top 2 in the conference fwiw. The bigs are way too unknown and not in a good way.

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

really?  I mean, I *think* we also finish higher but not much higher. 6-8 sounds right to me.  UD, VCU, Bonnies, and Dukes are clearly ahead by a lot. I think the joeys and Loychi are are also ahead of us. 

I think we have the best 1-3 or top 2 in the conference fwiw. The bigs are way too unknown and not in a good way.

Man I wish I had your optimism. Gibson Jimerson is the only proven guy right now that is at the 1-3 spot who would start on any team in this conference. Sincere and Larry have upside, but need to materialize into actual production. Meadows should be solid, if nothing else. Medley is a frosh with huge shoes to fill. Hard to say that’s an elite A-10 backcourt as of today. 

Bizziken and majerus mojo like this

2 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Man I wish I had your optimism. Gibson Jimerson is the only proven guy right now that is at the 1-3 spot who would start on any team in this conference. Sincere and Larry have upside, but need to materialize into actual production. Meadows should be solid, if nothing else. Medley is a frosh with huge shoes to fill. Hard to say that’s an elite A-10 backcourt as of today. 

Parker was arguably the best player on the team since Jan 1st, at least offensively. A mix of MM and LHJ I think alongside Parker and Gibby give us the best 1-3 pos in the conf - granted that's not saying much.  The reason we're not higher on the list is because I dont know about Dalger, and we know what THJ will be. And we have nooooo  clue about the bigs.  

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I don't see anybody besides Jimerson who I would project as a top 20 player in the conference.

10 minutes ago, willie said:

What’s your house worth?

Haha. Based on the reactions, maybe I should walk that one back! It is so hard for me to think that we could finish that low with Ford as our coach (which should always result in us having a reasonably talented roster) in such a down league. If it does look like we could finish below 9th, I will offer to treat the board to a round before our last home game, I figure we would need it.

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Parker was arguably the best player on the team since Jan 1st, at least offensively. A mix of MM and LHJ I think alongside Parker and Gibby give us the best 1-3 pos in the conf - granted that's not saying much.  The reason we're not higher on the list is because I dont know about Dalger, and we know what THJ will be. And we have nooooo  clue about the bigs.  

That’s fair. I can see the logic there. Sincere was 3rd on the team in ORating in conference, but in a much smaller role. Who knows how it will translate to more of a focal point in the offense. 

34 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Parker was arguably the best player on the team since Jan 1st, at least offensively.

Is that a commonly held opinion? Good take now that I look into stats (highest PER and WS/40 in conference play). I think I was so pissed off at that point watching games I failed to see some of the positives!

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Parker was arguably the best player on the team since Jan 1st, at least offensively.  

And Parker played only 13 mpg on conference. I am expecting a step up Tom Mr Parker as he could easily double his minutes played. In conference games he averaged 6.7 ppg. He could average double figures with increased minutes. 

cgeldmacher likes this

53 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Is that a commonly held opinion? Good take now that I look into stats (highest PER and WS/40 in conference play). I think I was so pissed off at that point watching games I failed to see some of the positives!

No clue but it’s mine!

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don't see anybody besides Jimerson who I would project as a top 20 player in the conference.

I think Parker has a better season than Gibby, and I dont think Gibby takes much of a step back 

53 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The scholarship limit definitely hurts SLU.  A local kid can pay instate tuition for what the scholarship doesn't cover through a reciprocal program at a school like IU instead of having to worry about covering the remaining much higher amount at SLU.

43 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

And Parker played only 13 mpg on conference. I am expecting a step up Tom Mr Parker as he could easily double his minutes played. In conference games he averaged 6.7 ppg. He could average double figures with increased minutes. 

Might be a stretch but I see Parker with Perkins ability. I definitely thought Ford underplayed him last year. Would not shock me to see him and Jimerson fighting for team scoring lead  

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

No clue but it’s mine!

Looking at his stats, he had a better season than I remembered. Likely warranted more minutes than he received. Like I said, I was so down after not living up to the hype as a team, that my judgment was significantly impaired. I don’t have a strong opinion of what Sincere is or what he is capable of, but I’m now more interested in seeing him step into more minutes and a more significant role.

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Looking at his stats, he had a better season than I remembered. Likely warranted more minutes than he received. Like I said, I was so down after not living up to the hype as a team, that my judgment was significantly impaired. I don’t have a strong opinion of what Sincere is or what he is capable of, but I’m now more interested in seeing him step into more minutes and a more significant role.

He started 0-30 from 3 which obviously made his 3% look bad. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He started 0-30 from 3 which obviously made his 3% look bad. 

I think Parker will put up 30+ at least one time next season.  I’m just worried we will lose that game by double digits because we can’t stop anyone from scoring.

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think Parker will put up 30+ at least one time next season.  I’m just worried we will lose that game by double digits because we can’t stop anyone from scoring.

Yep. We will be a worse defensive team. Offensive should be about the same