2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

3 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

This true?  I really do not know....but it's a real bummer to read.

I actually don’t know. My guess is nobody in the exact situation BE is in is playing. So if anyone wants to correct me here, that’s fine. 

The people that are blaming this on the NCAA, with your opinion of them, do you really expect them to work late into Sunday evening on a SLU waiver? Roy, you said it yourself, if this is Kansas we wouldn’t have an issue. Why would the NCAA care enough about SLU to take time away from watching the NFL to rule on a SLU case? 

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I actually don’t know. My guess is nobody in the exact situation BE is in is playing. So if anyone wants to correct me here, that’s fine. 

The people that are blaming this on the NCAA, with your opinion of them, do you really expect them to work late into Sunday evening on a SLU waiver? Roy, you said it yourself, if this is Kansas we wouldn’t have an issue. Why would the NCAA care enough about SLU to take time away from watching the NFL to rule on a SLU case? 

I can't give you any names but I am pretty sure you are wrong. The exception that everyone is using is mental hardship. If no one was granted this then no one would be applying. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

I can't give you any names but I am pretty sure you are wrong. The exception that everyone is using is mental hardship. If no one was granted this then no one would be applying. 

Like I said, that's totally fine. I'm not going to scroll through Jon Rothstein's twitter account to find out either. But I can't recall hearing about any approved waivers at least not nationally notable in the last couple months.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I don't think Stu is particularly good at his job or puts in the extra effort. But I do feel bad that he was straight up lied to even when the fans knew there were some eligibility questions regarding Zhang. Almost makes me feel like if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't put in the extra effort either. And he continues to be lied to. 

Even if the NCAA just came out of nowhere at all and said he isn't cleared after previously clearing him (which I HIGHLY doubt), shouldn't SLU be prepared that there are some questionable things going on with their recruits/players? In no way should this have been a surprise to anyone. Don't you know the backgrounds of your own players?

I am not a Ford fan. I don't think he should have gotten this season. And while all these ineligible players are still his recruits and the ones he brought in knowing there were risks, his own athletic department is not putting him in a position to succeed. Worst case scenario is nobody becomes eligible, the season sucks, and the AD decides Ford didn't get a fair shake this season and they bring him back again next year.

Nobody on the coaching staff or athletic department should have planned on Brad being eligible. The 2 time transfer rule is pretty straightforward the NCAA has been pretty consistent with denying those waivers. A search of Zhang's name showed there were some risks there. The others were late recruits who weren't really on anyone's radar (possibly because there were eligibility questions). I liked the different approach to recruiting this offseason but as of now it appears to be trending towards a failure. That's the risk you take and I'm okay with it. But if anyone on the coaching staff or AD went into this summer thinking there were no risks with the guys we brought in, they should be fired before the Ilinois St game.

I’m fine with Ford coming back for another season and I’m fine with Chris May staying for another season. I’m not good with both of them staying for one more season together. One of them has gotta go. This whole NCAA eligibility stuff, misleading media/fans about a players injury, it’s bush league and tells me there is much more dysfunction down there than we realize. One or the other or both gotta go after this season. It’s exhausting. 

JMM28 likes this

Question for the Prime Minister and/or Loyal Opposition:

How many of these so far uncleared players would be playing significant minutes on the current team?  How many would be in the Top 8, the Top 9?

I am sitting out here 1,732 air miles away, reading all this angst.  I have not seen any of the players at issue play.  But the one that did clear played 3 minutes last night.  My educated hunch is the only player in question that would be in SLU's rotation would be Brad Ezewiro, the 2-time transfer last at Georgetown.  

In the law, we call this lack of causation.  Or putting it another way, would it make any difference if all or any of the not yet cleared players, other than Ezewiro, were eligible?  

Let's enjoy the season.  SLU can win playing small and fast. The talent is there.  SLU can be an A10 in the Midwest version of the Golden State Warriors, who have won playing small through two generations, from Run TMC (Tim Hardaway, Chris Richmond, Chris Mullin) to the current long running team of Dubs: Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green.

CenHudDude likes this

Think of this….$2.5 million a year for the coach going on year 8, AD makes an obnoxious salary for how big of a goof he is, blowing BE, hired Crews, Lisa Stone, McGinty, Kat Mertz etc what going on like 15 years now, a brand new $20 million building, new locker rooms, charter flights, huge investments into program no doubt and for what? Someone please tell me why anyone would donate to the NIL? How can you trust that leadership to do the right things? They can’t even navigate the NCAA rules and be transparent with media and fans. What’s been the real ROI? Seriously? And who thinks it’s going to change? What other job can you consistently fail, blow millions of dollars and not be held accountable or just be able to deflect and say well it’s the NCAA’s fault or donors are giving enough to NIL??? It’s laughable only it’s not, meanwhile Fred is probably at a Jazz club off Grand and thinks everything is great. Hey just win 20 games, none of those wins against a top 25 ranked opponent and be happy. Got it. 

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Like I said, that's totally fine. I'm not going to scroll through Jon Rothstein's twitter account to find out either. But I can't recall hearing about any approved waivers at least not nationally notable in the last couple months.

A little dated but..

This is across all sports and I would assume that the number for football and basketball is a bit lower than this. 

3 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Think of this….$2.5 million a year for the coach going on year 8, AD makes an obnoxious salary for how big of a goof he is, blowing BE, hired Crews, Lisa Stone, McGinty, Kat Mertz etc what going on like 15 years now, a brand new $20 million building, new locker rooms, charter flights, huge investments into program no doubt and for what? Someone please tell me why anyone would donate to the NIL? How can you trust that leadership to do the right things? They can’t even navigate the NCAA rules and be transparent with media and fans. What’s been the real ROI? Seriously? And who thinks it’s going to change? What other job can you consistently fail, blow millions of dollars and not be held accountable or just be able to deflect and say well it’s the NCAA’s fault or donors are giving enough to NIL??? It’s laughable only it’s not, meanwhile Fred is probably at a Jazz club off Grand and thinks everything is great. Hey just win 20 games, none of those wins against a top 25 ranked opponent and be happy. Got it. 

In the spirit of fairness. Lisa Stone took SLU to conference respectability from absolutely ZERO. She was also referred to May by Majerus IIRC. McGinty was a fine steward of the Soccer program, just couldn't really find consistent national success. Also May deserves to be held accountable for Crews, but a. I am willing to go easy on the fact that Crews had just won Nat'l COY and I give May a little credit for not balking after year 2 of dog poop. Then again, there was probably donor pressure. 

The Pestello stuff made me LOL.

39 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m blaming SLU and the NCAA.

Do I expect them to work late into a Sunday evening on a SLU waiver?

Yea I do. Not only SLU waivers but all schools. The job is to have these waivers completed before the start of the season. No schools should be playing games with question marks about eligibility. 

TheChosenOne likes this

15 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m blaming SLU and the NCAA.

Do I expect them to work late into a Sunday evening on a SLU waiver?

Yea I do. Not only SLU waivers but all schools. The job is to have these waivers completed before the start of the season. No schools should be playing games with question marks about eligibility. 

In a perfect world, I would agree. However, when they don't file paperwork in a timely manner that is going to happen. 

VeniceMenace likes this

36 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Theoretically if you care a lot about the SLU basketball program, but you aren't happy with the Athletic Department or men's basketball coaching staff, NIL / the Billiken Victory fund are the best place to donate.

May and Ford technically* have no control over the NIL $ / Billiken Victory Fund.  Troy Robertson & the BVF board control what happens with that money.

* - I'd be shocked if Ford isn't somehow dictating to Troy where he wants that money allocated, but theoretically Robertson, etc. could tell Ford to piss up a tree and allocate however they see fit.  Even so, the money only indirectly helps Ford & the AD by theoretically helping attract more talented players.  It is directly benefiting the players on the court.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Chinese basketball money is no joke.  I assume you know the dollar amount for zhang?

Kansas' compliance department would have caught the issues in a cursory google search of Bruce's legal name. 

right kansas is such a good rule follower.   what was i thinking?

I'm sorry but CMay is lying to you, Stu Durando and every other Billiken fan. This is not an NCAA injustice it just isn't, nor did they JUST find out about Zhang, They are covering up for a compliance staff error. 

it's no wonder you are granted such access to slu athletics.   you are always so complimentary

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Theoretically if you care a lot about the SLU basketball program, but you aren't happy with the Athletic Department or men's basketball coaching staff, NIL / the Billiken Victory fund are the best place to donate.

May and Ford technically* have no control over the NIL $ / Billiken Victory Fund.  Troy Robertson & the BVF board control what happens with that money.

* - I'd be shocked if Ford isn't somehow dictating to Troy where he wants that money allocated, but theoretically Robertson, etc. could tell Ford to piss up a tree and allocate however they see fit.  Even so, the money only indirectly helps Ford & the AD by theoretically helping attract more talented players.  It is directly benefiting the players on the court.

Have you read any of the legislation that has passed in Missouri? I don't think your asterisk is true and hasn't been for some time.

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Roy, why do you always have to go personal? I'm happy to buy you the beverage of your choice and layout everything on this situation. 

I do not know how much the pro team is or agreed to pay Zhang, what I do know is that more than a handful of former NBAers have found it to be a nice retirement league. 

You're just being petulant regarding the Kansas stuff. You made a comparison, I explained why it's not really a fair comparison. 

As stated above, you always have to go personal don't you? Is it because you're starting to see the picture and you don't have anyone else to lash out at but the messenger? 

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Roy, why do you always have to go personal? I'm happy to buy you the beverage of your choice and layout everything on this situation. 

I do not know how much the pro team is or agreed to pay Zhang, what I do know is that more than a handful of former NBAers have found it to be a nice retirement league. 

You're just being petulant regarding the Kansas stuff. You made a comparison, I explained why it's not really a fair comparison. 

As stated above, you always have to go personal don't you? Is it because you're starting to see the picture and you don't have anyone else to lash out at but the messenger? 

no mostly because it is coming from you.  i dont trust anything you say or like much of anything about you.   if you pay attention though, when you do make a good point i always give your post a like.  and that's happened on a number of occasions.  so when i think it's deserved, i will give you credit.  

and no i dont want to drink ever with you.

35 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

In a perfect world, I would agree. However, when they don't file paperwork in a timely manner that is going to happen. 

What day did slu turn in their paperwork?

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I do not have an exact date. You should ask Chris May that, point blank. The funny thing is, he probably will give you as accurate of an answer as I could. 

I'm not the declaring slu didn't file on time.   If you don't know you shouldn't make that statement