2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Looks like the NIT is now going to be harder for A10 schools to make:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know there is no guarantee that a single team from any other league will be selected, right? That is to say, the NIT could snub every team in the A10 if they wanted to, right?

Slowry likes this

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Looks like the NIT is now going to be harder for A10 schools to make:

This is a continuation of the slow death of non-power 6 basketball. 

Cinderellas are what make college basketball so exciting in my opinion. Bad power 6 teams are not cinderellas in my view. They are just bad power 6 teams. 

This is really killing the fun of my favorite sport.  I will be boycotting the NIT for the foreseeable future. 

I predict that soon there will be no automatic bids to the true NCAA tournament for mid-majors and lower. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

With my pops handling stats 😁

18 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

This is actually pretty awesome for SLU / better than I thought.

Twitter...er... X followers aren't everything, but:

Datt has over 46,000 followers.  Warmann has about 1,300.  Danny Mac has 9,700.  SLU men's basketball has 24,000 which is almost double SLU Athletics and slight more than the University's account.

Getting someone involved with SLU athletics that has a platform / online reach that is much larger than anything they otherwise have is pretty awesome.

I've not heard Datt do play-by-play (has she done any in the past?), but I was never that impressed with Warmann.  If they aren't going to give it to Colin Suhre, you might as well bring in someone who might attract some new viewers.

Big whiff on SLU's part not including a picture of Datt in the marketing releases / social media stuff.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is actually pretty awesome for SLU / better than I thought.

Twitter...er... X followers aren't everything, but:

Datt has over 46,000 followers.  Warmann has about 1,300.  Danny Mac has 9,700.  SLU men's basketball has 24,000 which is almost double SLU Athletics and slight more than the University's account.

Getting someone involved with SLU athletics that has a platform / online reach that is much larger than anything they otherwise have is pretty awesome.

I've not heard Datt do play-by-play (has she done any in the past?), but I was never that impressed with Warmann.  If they aren't going to give it to Colin Suhre, you might as well bring in someone who might attract some new viewers.

Big whiff on SLU's part not including a picture of Datt in the marketing releases / social media stuff.

I don't believe she's ever done PBP, which is about the only reason to really have an issue with this. I don't like the idea of BSMW using SLU Basketball as an audition. Not saying she'll be bad, but like can we get someone with experience in that role? 

AGB91 likes this

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't believe she's ever done PBP, which is about the only reason to really have an issue with this. I don't like the idea of BSMW using SLU Basketball as an audition. Not saying she'll be bad, but like can we get someone with experience in that role? 

I strongly suspect that the financial issues with Bally, which are still ongoing, meant that anyone with experience wanted more money than they wanted to spend. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I strongly suspect that the financial issues with Bally, which are still ongoing, meant that anyone with experience wanted more money than they wanted to spend. 

I have no idea if the finances of Bally played a part her selection, but there are only 12 games to be televised.  If Datt and Warmann split the 12, that's only 6 games apiece.  Hard to find someone who isn't local come here to broadcast half a dozen games or so.  So the list of experienced local basketball play by play announcers is pretty short. Plus they are both already working with Bally Sports.  (Ya want Al Hrabosky doing Billiken play by play?  🙃)

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

I have no idea if the finances of Bally played a part her selection, but there are only 12 games to be televised.  If Datt and Warmann split the 12, that's only 6 games apiece.  Hard to find someone who isn't local come here to broadcast half a dozen games or so.  So the list of experienced local basketball play by play announcers is pretty short. Plus they are both already working with Bally Sports.  (Ya want Al Hrabosky doing Billiken play by play?  🙃)

Agree, they probably are working for little to no additional money than they are getting now, which is why they were chosen.

SLU literally has Colin Suhre on payroll. Perhaps his WBB schedule would be too much of a conflict. Although it's only 6 games.

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

AGB91 likes this

8 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-if she has that many followers did she twitter about her broadcasting SLU games?

Based on the Twitter stats her post above about doing PxP for SLU games currently has 76.5k views, 28 comments, 11 reposts, and 315 likes.

For comparison, you have to add up the last 11 tweets from the SLU MBB account from 10/27 to today to top 315 likes.  Last single post that had more was their 10/16 post about Collins signing with the Warriors that got 600 likes.