ford on 590 now

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

My guesses:

- We really like the guys we've brought in. They're going to be day 1 difference makers

- The transfer portal is just not right. You have to regulate it. Under the table deals going on

- We are still building up the NIL game. With that and the Champions Center, we can compete

- Kellan Thames has grown to 7 feet tall

- Yuri is going to rack up the assists playing with Curry and Thompson

- _________ (insert popular name here) looks like a star this summer. He will have a huge year

- Kellan Thames is actually 7 foot 3 inches as of the end of this call

- Great spot for Goodwin. Gets to play with hall of famers.

Was Kellan Thames up to 7 foot 6 inches by the time I read this post? 😄

Short interview, about 10 minutes.

Workouts have started.  Still don't know what the roster will be in November.  But we have 11 guys in working out.  Expecting a couple more next week.  We have a couple more scholarships to fill.   We will definitely fill one, and probably 2. We will have 15 or so on campus.

Thames:  might be one of the bigger surprises on the team because no one saw him last year.  He is a legit 6'7", and the weight work is showing.  He has stood out in our workouts. He can score off the dribble, can finish at the rim, and can hit the three.  He is one of three to four guys on the team who can be stoppers on the ball.

Center position:  We have signed Brad Ez from Georgetown, who still has to get a waiver.  We feel confident about the waiver but you never know.  He has two years to play either way it goes.  The big kid from Netherlands will be 'ready to go' about August.  China big should be here next week.  France big is the most versatile of the guys.  We plan to add another big.  We will have more bigs on our roster than we have ever had. 

Hughes can definitely handle the point.  His feel for the game is one of the best on the team.  He has size at the point, which is intriguing.  He is one of those lock down defenders.  But he can play the 1, 2 or 3, and he will all of them.  Medley is a true PG.  He has been tremendous in workouts.  We will pick up one big, and then on the second schollie, we will take what is best out there, if we use it.

Most kids now have NIL agents.  All we do is basically listen to agent.  We want guys that want to be here, that want to get a great education, great facilities, great support after graduation.  Player has to want to be in the program.  But now 'that is not enough'.  There are still players out there that want the best situation for them.  Have to look at the chemistry any player may bring into the team. We understand the other pieces.

gabriel, VeniceMenace and Zink like this

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

- We are still building up the NIL game. With that and the Champions Center, we can competee.

This got me thinking about tanking professional teams.

Would People be Ok with the Bills punting a few season and not spending any NIL money and then 2 years from now using the money built up and buy 4 and 5 star players? 

I think I would be ok with 2 years of tanking for 2 years of stars.  
Non football schools need to think outside the box if they want to compete. 

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Would People be Ok with the Bills punting a few season and not spending any NIL money and then 2 years from now using the money. Jolt up and buy 4 and 5 star players? 

The Florida Marlins plan?  Stink for several years, then go big and win a title, then stink for several years, then go big again.

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

My guesses:

- We really like the guys we've brought in. They're going to be day 1 difference makers

- The transfer portal is just not right. You have to regulate it. Under the table deals going on

- We are still building up the NIL game. With that and the Champions Center, we can compete

- _________ (insert popular name here) looks like a star this summer. He will have a huge year

LOL ..... Just hate that guy; think I'll want for a real report of the interview.  

5 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

LOL ..... Just hate that guy; think I'll want for a real report of the interview.  

Slufan13s guesses were pretty on target from what hoosier said...

38 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Would People be Ok with the Bills punting a few season and not spending any NIL money and then 2 years from now using the money. Jolt up and buy 4 and 5 star players? 

no

gabriel and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Would People be Ok with the Bills punting a few season and not spending any NIL money and then 2 years from now using the money built up and buy 4 and 5 star players? 

The logic behind tanking in US professional sports is to get a better draft position next year. Doesn’t apply to college teams. If you don’t have the resources to consistently compete in college, I’m not sure what to say in this new environment.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I don't think SLU's NIL affiliate (or whatever the right term is) is in the business of buying players though. It sounds like they're in the business of providing "great support after graduation." The tanking approach doesn't work as well when your paying guys out 2, 3, 4 years down the road.

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

My guesses:

-this is great

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

The Florida Marlins plan?  Stink for several years, then go big and win a title, then stink for several years, then go big again.

Marlins are an extreme example but yes.  I’m not sure I would go this route but the thinking would be to stock pile the money then buy a team that can hopefully get you to a sweet 16 or beyond. 
Hopefully the sweet 16 run would bring enough interest and attention to make recruiting easier the next few years. 
Unfortunately, I think it’s going to get harder and harder for schools like St. Louis University to compete with schools that have unlimited resources. I think they will need some out of the box thinking if they want to compete. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

no

Thanks for the input. I totally see why you don’t think it would work or would not like it. 

57 minutes ago, Compton said:

I don't think SLU's NIL affiliate (or whatever the right term is) is in the business of buying players though. It sounds like they're in the business of providing "great support after graduation." The tanking approach doesn't work as well when your paying guys out 2, 3, 4 years down the road.

This definitely would make it hard to tank for a championship.

59 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The logic behind tanking in US professional sports is to get a better draft position next year. Doesn’t apply to college teams. If you don’t have the resources to consistently compete in college, I’m not sure what to say in this new environment.

Draft picks and to clear payroll/eliminate bad contracts. Then with the new payroll space they bring in better players. This would be the clearing payroll approach.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Draft picks and to clear payroll/eliminate bad contracts. Then with the new payroll space they bring in better players. This would be the clearing payroll approach.

You make two assumptions here:

1.) that enough people will donate money for NIL deals year after year to build up the NIL fund without any immediate impact on the program. 
2.) that NIL money alone will get you a championship.

for the first, I’m not sure I see that happening, most people would expect something on an annual basis to keep contributing 

for the second, check out Carolina last year, they went from losing the championship game to not being in the tournament despite the NIL money

12 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

You make two assumptions here:

1.) that enough people will donate money for NIL deals year after year to build up the NIL fund without any immediate impact on the program. 
2.) that NIL money alone will get you a championship.

for the first, I’m not sure I see that happening, most people would expect something on an annual basis to keep contributing 

for the second, check out Carolina last year, they went from losing the championship game to not being in the tournament despite the NIL money

Good points. I know I would be hesitant to donate to a crappy team. 

if i was one of the whales and donated big money and then the school didnt use it, i'd be dammed if i gave a boatload again if they didnt see fit to use it the first time.   i.e. no stockpiling use it when it's gone we'd talk again the next year

AGB91 likes this

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if i was one of the whales and donated big money and then the school didnt use it, i'd be dammed if i gave a boatload again if they didnt see fit to use it the first time.   i.e. no stockpiling use it when it's gone we'd talk again the next year

Plus when you are tanking, basketball attendance and its revenue dry up, handcuffing the entire athletic department

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree with this. It would need to be communicated to the whales before hand and they would obviously have to be on board.

6 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Plus when you are tanking, basketball attendance and its revenue dry up, handcuffing the entire athletic department

This is a big problem.

4 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I agree with this. It would need to be communicated to the whales before hand and they would obviously have to be on board.

that's my point, they would be fools to do that.  i say you risk losing their support completely

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

How much was donated and how much hasn't been spent?  Curious......

If the question is whether I'd be willing to tank for a few years and then buy a team that is guaranteed to go to like the Elite 8, then I would do it.

But assuming the question is whether you'd be willing to tank for a few years and then buy a great team without knowing the end result, I'll pass. And I'd pass even if a guy like Majerus were still our coach. 

The real question is should we buy into the Billiken hype or watch every game with the same feeling of doom as when the Cards send a decent reliever into the game for the fourth day in a row trusting the reigning world series champs will go down quietly?