Ford- Less with More (and the last great four year Billikens)

gobillsgo

Truly unbelievable that Travis Ford has had four years each of Jordan Goodwin, Hasahn French, Yuri Collins, and Gibson Jimerson, and is not going to have a single NCAA (or even NIT) tournament victory to show for it.   One NCAA appearance on the backs of two transfers- Bess and Isabel.

We probably won’t see many more truly great four-year Billikens in the era of college free agency and NIL.  Would love to be wrong, but I just don’t see it. Gibby and Yuri are definitely gone, who could blame them?  And their last game will be in front of a half empty building, now that Ford has sucked the life out of this program. 

What’s the point of this thread, you ask?  I guess just pure amazement at the absolute lack of results out of some of the most talented rosters this program has ever seen. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is indeed hard to argue against any point made here.  More and more I find myself adopting the 'Ford ceiling' mantra I see from many posters.  How can you miss it?  I am also a disciple of the old school Billiken history where every time we hire a coach, we regress back to a five-year building period.  And I am not in the camp that believes NIL nor the transfer portal will rescue this program any time soon (like next year).  Sure, there are examples of   success ---- Mizzou, Marquette and Providence (who my Big East buddy calls 'Portal U.' and 'Mercenary U.'), Duquesne, and Miami to name a few.  But there are examples of it going the other way in Bonaventure, Murray State, and Arkansas.  

The powers that be will have to make a decision I can not influence.  None of us can.  My biggest curiosity right now is 1) what will they do, 2) given the lack of production on our current bench, what will Ford produce next year if he is still around.

I’m now ok with losing because I’m used to where we are in standings, and where we are as a team. But I’m told ford is not the problem, and he shouldn’t leave. 

why do fans settle for mediocre 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I’m now ok with losing because I’m used to where we are in standings, and where we are as a team. But I’m told ford is not the problem, and he shouldn’t leave. 

I’m ok with losing because sometimes that happens and sometimes you run into a hot team.

I’m not OK with losing the same way over and over again. 

Blowing big leads

No defense 

Abandoning  a game plan that is working 

Losing guys on the bench 

If this team had any balls they’d be a top 25 team. Instead adversity strikes during a game and they panic.

Just now, dlarry said:

I’m ok with losing because sometimes that happens and sometimes you run into a hot team.

I’m not OK with losing the same way over and over again. 

Blowing big leads

No defense 

Abandoning  a game plan that is working 

Losing guys on the bench 

If this team had any balls they’d be a top 25 team. Instead adversity strikes during a game and they panic.

This is what I meant about being ok with losing. It just doesn’t suck anymore, and that’s a problem. Further more, it’s a feeling fans of fords team have felt for 15 years 

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

and you promise next year we will get the next john wooden right?

Billiken Rich likes this

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I’m promising that a new coach is better than ford.  Which I know, isn’t hard. 

Hell even John Wooden’s corpse could finish 4th in a one-bid league. But let’s continue to rip the bandaid off very slowly. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Roy, we’re outside of the top 100 by nearly all metrics. You really think a replacement would be worse than that? Be honest

you two havent paid attention to our coaching changes the last 40 years have you.   we are 2 for about 8 in better than mediocre success.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

and you promise next year we will get the next john wooden right?

I don’t know if the next coach will be better but i think we can all see something is seriously broken within this team.

I don’t know if it’s the coaching.

Maybe everyone is pissed at Yuri for flirting with Tennessee. 

Maybe Austin McBroom snuck into town and banged out a few players girlfriends. 

I have no idea but I know something is wrong and I don’t think it can be fixed.

When all is said and done it’s the coaches job to fix these problems and he hasn’t done that.

Deutschkind likes this

To be honest, I’m sort of numb at this point.  The season of deeply caring about every w/L ended in December against edwardsville.  

We’ve been in the just “secure a top 4 spot” mode for a while.  All we need to do is beat Loyola and then that’s wrapped up.   We still got a shot. 

I’m probably supposed to be upset, but the prospect of a respectable season died long ago.  Now we are just cheering for magic lightning in a bottle.  Hope we find it because I’ll always cheer for the team 

#FireFord

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you two havent paid attention to our coaching changes the last 40 years have you.   we are 2 for about 8 in better than mediocre success.

Roy, this can’t be the reason you don’t want to do better 

17 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

For 2 million+, SLU should expect Ncaa bids 3/4 years. 

This. If SLU was in the 4-8 range in the A-10 when it came to coaching salaries, facilities, etc, then regularly finishing 4th or 5th in the conference would be more acceptable. But that’s not the situation with Ford. For the entirety of his time at SLU, he has had top level facilities and been paid top level salary for A10 coaches, but with the exception of 1 weekend in March 2019, he hasn’t delivered on it. 

Schasz, TheBand and JMM28 like this

44 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

To steal a phrase from finance 101, “prior performance is not indicative of future returns”

SLU’s hiring history doesn’t mean the next one will be bad. 

rgbilliken, SLU_Nick and JMM28 like this

14 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

This. If SLU was in the 4-8 range in the A-10 when it came to coaching salaries, facilities, etc, then regularly finishing 4th or 5th in the conference would be more acceptable. But that’s not the situation with Ford. For the entirety of his time at SLU, he has had top level facilities and been paid top level salary for A10 coaches, but with the exception of 1 weekend in March 2019, he hasn’t delivered on it. 

But they'll keep him

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

To steal a phrase from finance 101, “prior performances is not indicative of future returns”

SLU’s hiring history doesn’t mean the next one will be bad. 

This. We shouldn’t settle for mediocrity because previous coaching hires, only two of which have been within the last 14 years, weren’t home run hires. 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

You're talking through your hat again.  You remind my of those zany Better Together true believers.  "Well anything would be better than this!"   Oh really?  Let's put the guy indicted for bribery and mail fraud in charge of the new city/county.  I'm done defending Ford but your ridiculous "promise" is worth less than nothing and you have no idea what the word "hard" means apparently......

20 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

You're talking through your hat again.  You remind my of those zany Better Together true believers.  "Well anything would be better than this!"   Oh really?  Let's put the guy indicted for bribery and mail fraud in charge of the new city/county.  I'm done defending Ford but your ridiculous "promise" is worth less than nothing and you have no idea what the word "hard" means apparently......

Ah there we go the truth strikes. Politics. Unsurprising from "Billiken rich"

Better not get lumped in with "those people" huh, Rich?

Your gross attitudes permeate your posts. Wow.

TaLBErt likes this

23 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

And a pre empt to your rebuttal:

You brought up politics on a "mid major" college basketball message board. You know exactly what I'm insinuating, and the fact you can't help but launch a political assault on the City says it all.

29 minutes ago, Soderball said:

And a pre empt to your rebuttal:

You brought up politics on a "mid major" college basketball message board. You know exactly what I'm insinuating, and the fact you can't help but launch a political assault on the City says it all.

Political assault on the city?  The goofball in question was COUNTY executive.  You are completely off base.

34 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Ah there we go the truth strikes. Politics. Unsurprising from "Billiken rich"

Better not get lumped in with "those people" huh, Rich?

Your gross attitudes permeate your posts. Wow.

I did not think this was controversial.  The bill was pulled because it was going to go down in flames in the City and County.   Your insinuations are offensive.