GDT: Uh, we do have a game tonight

slu72

8 hours ago, dlarry said:

15 point lead with 5 minutes to go.

Another big lead pissed away. 

If this team can learn to close out game I think they can win it all in Brooklyn.

Unfortunately if they haven’t leaned to do it by now they probably never will. 

You are correct, our defense was the key to our offense - the Dukes started missing a few 3s and then stopped shooting them for a bit and that is when we went on our offensive run.  The problem is with that 15 pt lead we go down 6 or 7 times and don't score and they start hitting 3s again a bad combination.  At least 3 of those trips were fouls that we could not hit the front end of.  Hard to get on Gibby for his miss given the game he had but Francis tried his best imitation of French at the line.  The whole team sucked at the line overall and could have made their job so much easier if they would have just shot the 70% that is not that hard to do.  Those missed front ends of 1 on 1s are killers.  To be fair Francis had an overall very good game but I would put him on the line all night at least last night.  I know it seems funny to say the defense was the key in a 90-85 win and one where the Dukes hit so many 3s - unbelievable - but when we played good D we got lots of layups.  I will also give credit to Ford for realizing he had to try other players on D and they did deliver both on the O and D.  We also shot well over 50% from the floor and that was a bit unbelievable also.  We won a game we should have and that is important but these lapses either on D or O will doom us eventually.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

hahahahaha   a win vs duq warrants an old 70's soul train video?   too much BAB

we win out this regular season you put up all those videos.  but we still got a long way to go imo.  

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Francis tried his best imitation of French at the line.  

i believe any player on our team could shoot free throws with his eyes closed and be better at free throws than french was shooting them.   i loved french but i sure dont miss his free throw adventures.   he just didnt miss, he would miss epically.  wide right, air ball short, off the top of the backboard.   it was incredible.   no okoro's misses last night were a little more credible than those french memories.   but thanks for bringing back those nightmares.

dennis_w likes this

11 hours ago, dlarry said:

15 point lead with 5 minutes to go.

Another big lead pissed away. 

If this team can learn to close out game I think they can win it all in Brooklyn.

Unfortunately if they haven’t leaned to do it by now they probably never will. 

Didnt they close out the game last night? i thought the billikens won

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Closing out the game is not just hanging on for a win.  It is when you are up by double digits with 5 minutes to play you simply don't let the other team back in.  So the answer is no but yes they did ultimately win.

dlarry likes this

16 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

They did win and I even said earlier that I thought it was the best they’ve looked in a long time.

If their hang on for dear life strategy doesn’t scare you I don’t know what to tell you. 
This wasn’t a last night problem it’s been a problem for 2 years now. And if they don’t figure it out it’s going to burn them at a terrible time….again.

Blow outs also help the future by giving guys rest and guys like Thames and MoMo a few minutes of experience.

Its OK to admit a flawed team has flaws. Even when they win.

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

They did win and I even said earlier that I thought it was the best they’ve looked all year.

If there hang on for dear life strategy doesn’t scare you I don’t know what to tell you.

Blows also help the future by giving guys rest and guys like Thames and MoMo a few minutes of experience.

Is it possible that Thames could get a red shirt year as he has not played much.

23 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Closing out the game is not just hanging on for a win.  It is when you are up by double digits with 5 minutes to play you simply don't let the other team back in.  So the answer is no but yes they did ultimately win.

that is an odd definition of closing out a game, blow outs dont happen often in conference play especially against good teams. i would love to see double digit wins but it doesnt happen often. the billikens have flaws but hanging on for a win is not something to be critical of . hope they hang on for seven more 

30 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I don't think we went into super slowdown mode like we have in the past. That was maddening.  I think you have to give Duquesne and our HORRIBLE freethrow shooting the credit for the game being tighter than it should've been at the end.......

31 minutes ago, dlarry said:

They did win and I even said earlier that I thought it was the best they’ve looked in a long time.

If their hang on for dear life strategy doesn’t scare you I don’t know what to tell you. 
This wasn’t a last night problem it’s been a problem for 2 years now. And if they don’t figure it out it’s going to burn them at a terrible time….again.

Blow outs also help the future by giving guys rest and guys like Thames and MoMo a few minutes of experience.

Its OK to admit a flawed team has flaws. Even when they win.

And it’s ok to enjoy a win, something you Ford haters need to learn…

MariaReynolds, HenryB and AGB91 like this

16 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

Is it possible that Thames could get a red shirt year as he has not played much.

I think that’s the plan. The scooter accident just forced their hand. At this point, he’s still under the game threshold for a redshirt. They won’t force him into games, if they can get another year out of him.

10 hours ago, DOC said:

10 hours ago, MariaReynolds said:

No!  The coach and the team executed a game plan that allowed us to win close in and in the paint. They pivoted when they needed to. I am ecstatic about the fact that this team performed when and how they needed to, in the manner in which they needed to win.  And, they did it when the opposing team shot from the three in a manner that was clearly an anomaly.  Most teams would have folded in these circumstances.  This was a great win heading into the end of the season. Let’s enjoy it, and celebrate it for what it was.

The odd thing about the percentage and amount of 3’s the hit was I thought we played our best D in a while last night. At the beginning of the game it was same old, same old. Get beat off the dribble, kick, hit a 3. However, we really shored that up ( in a large part to playing Yuri and LH Jr together). We kept them out of the lane and made them rely on contested 3’s. They made them, they made some deep ones, contested ones, and some that looked like a wtf,,, shot. It happens. Despite that we won. 

Player of the match was easily GJim. It even appeared that the level of energy and intensity he played with in getting to the rim all night carried over his to his quickness on D. 

52 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Refs were awful

6 three point attempts is criminal

We take Yuri Collins for granted

I love Jordan Goodwin

Yuri was getting a taste of what GJim feels like getting held off the ball all game long. The freedom of movement idea especially off the ball doesn’t seem to apply to GJim or Yuri

16 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

And it’s ok to enjoy a win, something you Ford haters need to learn…

I enjoyed the heck out of the game last night.  It was a fun fast paced win. 

But I also learned that they still have trouble closing out games and that worries me going into the A10 tournament.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I enjoyed the heck out of the game last night.  It was a fun fast paced win. 

But I also learned that they still have trouble closing out games and that worries me going into the A10 tournament.

I sometimes wonder if you realized our opponents have scholarships as well? Basketball at this level is extremely competitive and blowouts are the exception not the rule… but I get it, bitching and complaining for some is always more gratifying than praising…

39 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I don't think we went into super slowdown mode like we have in the past. That was maddening.  I think you have to give Duquesne and our HORRIBLE freethrow shooting the credit for the game being tighter than it should've been at the end.......

I agree but hitting free throws is all part of the closing out deal.  If they had hit their FTs then the great shooting by the Dukes would have been a not factor - simply trading points.