Jump to content

USC and UCLA to Big 10???


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

CBS and Turner Sports has a good thing going on with March Madness. 

ESPN and Fox are pretty much on the sidelines, except for reports from the sites.  They are buying into these SEC and Big 10 football moves to the tune of billions per year.  Do you think they quietly will sit by until 2032 before figuring out a more lucrative deal for their leagues on March Madness?

If the Big10 and SEC form their own tournament, it should be called the Big Whoops.

HoosierPal likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If the Big10 and SEC form their own tournament, it should be called the Big Whoops.

Agreed. I don’t think the Big 10 and SEC could get more money by forming their own basketball championship tournament. Would that really compete with March Madness? It’s more likely ESPN and Fox get together and outbid CBS and Turner sports for the rights in 2032 when the current contract expires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

CBS and Turner Sports has a good thing going on with March Madness. 

ESPN and Fox are pretty much on the sidelines, except for reports from the sites.  They are buying into these SEC and Big 10 football moves to the tune of billions per year.  Do you think they quietly will sit by until 2032 before figuring out a more lucrative deal for their leagues on March Madness?

If the split into pieces of Div1 into haves and have nots comes to happen, it  may well be financed by ESPN and FOX to the detriment of CBS and Turner. Money is king. The NCAA will do nothing as long as they get their share.

HoosierPal likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arizona,Arizona State, Colorado and Utah are meeting with the Big 12 today, Sports Illustrated reports

AnkielBreakers likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Agreed. I don’t think the Big 10 and SEC could get more money by forming their own basketball championship tournament. Would that really compete with March Madness? It’s more likely ESPN and Fox get together and outbid CBS and Turner sports for the rights in 2032 when the current contract expires.

I like your optimism.  I hope you are right.  I really do.

The networks are throwing around billions.....billions of dollars.  Currently March Madness nets about $1 billion to the NCAA which they spread out across their kingdom after their take.  If Fox/ESPN can deliver $1billion+ to two (or three) 20 team leagues, the take per team increases dramatically.  College Admin is focused solely on the dollars.  They don't care that the SIUE's of the world will get kicked to the curb.

Paying whatever penalty is needed to CBS/Turner can be skimmed off the top. 

2032 is way too far away for ESPN and Fox to sit by. What will TV look like in a decade?  Will the NCAA even exist?  You know that these new Power Conferences will make their own rules.  Strap in.  It's going to be a wild ride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Looks like the B10 is going hard after ND and not so hard after Oregon. ND would be the cherry on the top for them. They’ve wanted the Irish forever. 

Rumors are flying, aren't they.  They change by the hour.  ND can wait this out but if/when Florida State and Clemson bolt to the SEC, their options will be fewer than they are now.  Would Clemson/Florida State remain in the ACC if ND comes in full time?  That might save the ACC, but they would need to poach some teams from where (Pac 12?) to keep up.  If the Big 12 and the 4 from @BLIKNSpost come to an agreement, the Pac12 is dead. 

Just waiting for an existing league member to get kicked out of their league.  Then the fun really starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I like your optimism.  I hope you are right.  I really do.

The networks are throwing around billions.....billions of dollars.  Currently March Madness nets about $1 billion to the NCAA which they spread out across their kingdom after their take.  If Fox/ESPN can deliver $1billion+ to two (or three) 20 team leagues, the take per team increases dramatically.  College Admin is focused solely on the dollars.  They don't care that the SIUE's of the world will get kicked to the curb.

Paying whatever penalty is needed to CBS/Turner can be skimmed off the top. 

2032 is way too far away for ESPN and Fox to sit by. What will TV look like in a decade?  Will the NCAA even exist?  You know that these new Power Conferences will make their own rules.  Strap in.  It's going to be a wild ride.

I tend to agree with this. The bigs are greedy and with enrollment growth forecasted to slow down, the $$’s become even more important. Face it, the rah rah Joe College days are dying and being replaced by the Jerry McGuire show me the money era. 

HoosierPal likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I tend to agree with this. The bigs are greedy and with enrollment growth forecasted to slow down, the $$’s become even more important. Face it, the rah rah Joe College days are dying and being replaced by the Jerry McGuire show me the money era. 

True, but football and basketball are different sports. No one can deny that David can beat Goliath in basketball, but can’t do it in football, or at least, hasn’t as much in the past.

I think that if the bigs wanted to cut out the small schools, they needed to do it before the cat got out of the bag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

True, but football and basketball are different sports. No one can deny that David can beat Goliath in basketball, but can’t do it in football, or at least, hasn’t as much in the past.

I think that if the bigs wanted to cut out the small schools, they needed to do it before the cat got out of the bag.

I think there are different ways to maximize revenue in football and basketball. Remember, however much money the networks throw at this, they expect a return on their investment. The football playoff side gives a way to increase their revenue, I think the format in place for basketball does that already. I could be wrong, I admit that.

 

On another topic, exactly how would a conference kick out a member? I would have thought the legal agreements sighed by the various colleges in forming or joining a conference would stop that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I think there are different ways to maximize revenue in football and basketball. Remember, however much money the networks throw at this, they expect a return on their investment. The football playoff side gives a way to increase their revenue, I think the format in place for basketball does that already. I could be wrong, I admit that.

 

On another topic, exactly how would a conference kick out a member? I would have thought the legal agreements sighed by the various colleges in forming or joining a conference would stop that.

CUSA kicked us and UNC-C out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We and Charlotte left CUSA for the A10 in 2005-06 right as Louisville, DePaul, Marquette, South Florida and Cincinnati left for the Big East; TCU joined the Mountain West and Army went back to independent in football.  We've never been "kicked out" of a conference to my recollection. 

Littlebill and AGB91 like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you follow the markets you should have noted that the Bond yields for the 2 and 5 year bonds compared to the 10 year bonds inverted today for the second time this year. I you do not know what this means, do not worry, be happy. Money flows are not eternal. You can spend/invest billions as long as you can make even more billions from your investment, but at some point the money flow dwindles. Yield inversions indicates trouble ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's rumor

Florida reportedly doesn’t want Miami to join, Tennessee doesn’t want UNC, and Kentucky doesn’t want Louisville. Louisville brings in the second-most revenue among public ACC schools. Miami’s revenue isn’t public, but it’s estimated that they are near the top as well — plus they bring a hometown team in a huge market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Today's rumor

Florida reportedly doesn’t want Miami to join, Tennessee doesn’t want UNC, and Kentucky doesn’t want Louisville. Louisville brings in the second-most revenue among public ACC schools. Miami’s revenue isn’t public, but it’s estimated that they are near the top as well — plus they bring a hometown team in a huge market.

what-the-fuck-wtf.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Today's rumor

Florida reportedly doesn’t want Miami to join, Tennessee doesn’t want UNC, and Kentucky doesn’t want Louisville. Louisville brings in the second-most revenue among public ACC schools. Miami’s revenue isn’t public, but it’s estimated that they are near the top as well — plus they bring a hometown team in a huge market.

And I doubt USC wants Clemson to join.  Out of all those, Tennessee has the worst argument as to why UNC cant join. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whole "School A doesn't want School B" argument doesn't mean much anymore. Individual schools have less power as these conferences grow. Every other school in the conference will have tens of millions of reasons to overrule whatever school is whining about a particular new entrant.

BilliesBy40 likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They just need to start over and divide all D1 football schools by geography. 

Then take all the non football D1 schools and do the same. 

Football playoffs come out of each conference and March Madness stays the same. 

Unfortunately this wouldn’t give the current football blue bloods enough power so it will never happenstances. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

They just need to start over and divide all D1 football schools by geography. 

Then take all the non football D1 schools and do the same. 

Football playoffs come out of each conference and March Madness stays the same. 

Unfortunately this wouldn’t give the current football blue bloods enough power so it will never happenstances. 
 

 

too logical

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

The whole "School A doesn't want School B" argument doesn't mean much anymore. Individual schools have less power as these conferences grow. Every other school in the conference will have tens of millions of reasons to overrule whatever school is whining about a particular new entrant.

Agreed. Texas A&M REALLY didn’t want Texas to join the SEC. Didn’t matter at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

They just need to start over and divide all D1 football schools by geography. 

Then take all the non football D1 schools and do the same. 

Football playoffs come out of each conference and March Madness stays the same. 

Unfortunately this wouldn’t give the current football blue bloods enough power so it will never happenstances. 
 

 

Extremely logical and sensible. It has zero chance of happening. The big boys want to divide up the pie the way they to, not share equally with everyone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

The whole "School A doesn't want School B" argument doesn't mean much anymore. Individual schools have less power as these conferences grow. Every other school in the conference will have tens of millions of reasons to overrule whatever school is whining about a particular new entrant.

I mean, it’s not saying A school is attempting to block B, it just says they don’t want them, and I can see why. They’ll lightly ask the commissioner to not allow it, but everyone knows it won’t mean anything 

 

that being said I believe the schools have to vote, so likely it would just be that single school voting against. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...