Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Is Bobby aware that Billikens.com MBM’s don’t think this is a good fit. I know it’d be cruel to Jimmy but could someone please reach out to Huggins and let him know that Jimmy is a bad fit. WTF is he clueless?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought all year that this team was to "Yuri" centric, the same high screen or weave every time.  I thought that Ford needed to get Nesbitt/Hargrove more in the game, I was angry about it.  Then I watched the Northern Iowa game and saw what happens when the ball is not in Yuri hands for extended periods.  This team seemed lost and it gave me insight to what limits this team had and what Ford was doing.

Nesbitt and Hargrove need Yuri, they need someone to make things happen, they can't just beat a their defender to the hoop like Hughes, Jett or even Isabell.  They don't seem to have a go to move to score one on one either, like Bess or Perkins or Okoro.  Nesbitt and Hargrove seemed to score when ball if kicked to them, fast break or off a rebound but they don't make things happen one on one.  This is not uncommon for most Div I players, but I thought Nesbitt, a 4 star, would show signs of being able to beat defenders in the A10 with dribble drive or creating his own shot.  Hopefully next year, if he comes back.

7 minutes ago, SLU-Geo said:

I thought all year that this team was to "Yuri" centric, the same high screen or weave every time.  I thought that Ford needed to get Nesbitt/Hargrove more in the game, I was angry about it.  Then I watched the Northern Iowa game and saw what happens when the ball is not in Yuri hands for extended periods.  This team seemed lost and it gave me insight to what limits this team had and what Ford was doing.

Nesbitt and Hargrove need Yuri, they need someone to make things happen, they can't just beat a their defender to the hoop like Hughes, Jett or even Isabell.  They don't seem to have a go to move to score one on one either, like Bess or Perkins or Okoro.  Nesbitt and Hargrove seemed to score when ball if kicked to them, fast break or off a rebound but they don't make things happen one on one.  This is not uncommon for most Div I players, but I thought Nesbitt, a 4 star, would show signs of being able to beat defenders in the A10 with dribble drive or creating his own shot.  Hopefully next year, if he comes back.

I saw Nesbitt beat his man off the dribble quite often.  He just didn't have a strategy to seal the deal.  In high school he could rise over whatever passed for opposition and dunk it.  Finishing in college requires thinking a couple of steps ahead.  

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I saw Nesbitt beat his man off the dribble quite often.  He just didn't have a strategy to seal the deal.  In high school he could rise over whatever passed for opposition and dunk it.  Finishing in college requires thinking a couple of steps ahead.  

I agree with this. I think he could beat his man but if help got there in time he was stuck. Hargrove has a 3 and a dunk. His 3 is set and slow, he needs the ball delivered. GJim also has not shown a consistent ability to create his own. I don’t know if there is a stat but I’d bet a large percentage of his shots had an assist. Okoro and Linssen also need to be fed. I thought Fred when he’s the 3rd or 4th option offensively started to show an ability to get to the rim on his own plus he gets a lot of junk points. 

This is why the loss of Perkins was so big. He was the one thing that could prevent teams from being all in on stopping Yuri. He didn’t need Yuri. He can shoot the 3 off the catch or dribble, pull up midrange or finish at the rim. 

billikenbill and dennis_w like this

18 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I agree with this. I think he could beat his man but if help got there in time he was stuck. Hargrove has a 3 and a dunk. His 3 is set and slow, he needs the ball delivered. GJim also has not shown a consistent ability to create his own. I don’t know if there is a stat but I’d bet a large percentage of his shots had an assist. Okoro and Linssen also need to be fed. I thought Fred when he’s the 3rd or 4th option offensively started to show an ability to get to the rim on his own plus he gets a lot of junk points. 

This is why the loss of Perkins was so big. He was the one thing that could prevent teams from being all in on stopping Yuri. He didn’t need Yuri. He can shoot the 3 off the catch or dribble, pull up midrange or finish at the rim. 

Yep. Perkins really is one of the most exciting players I have seen, because whether he is taking his man or anything else, the other player has lost the moment he touches the ball. No feeling someone out, no indecisiveness. Just a cold move and finish.

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Davidson's Michael Jones enters the portal.  Thank god for us.  

No graduate programs at Davidson so I don't think he had the option to return (for whatever it's worth)

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If he wants to continue to play college basketball he has no choice.  Jones is a senior.

4 minutes ago, NH said:

No graduate programs at Davidson so I don't think he had the option to return (for whatever it's worth)

Good call, it said he was a junior but didn't look into it any more than that. Still best that he leaves this conference. 

4 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Curbelo being a pre-season all American was such a joke. Can’t shoot 3s and had almost as many turnovers as assists this year

Terrible.  18% from three and nearly 1:1 on A/TO.  Doesn’t guard.  Remarkable he even got minutes in the Big 10

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

GMU picked up Victor Bailey from Tennessee.  Very underrated pickup.  Between him, Oduro, and fernandez I expect them to be better next year

I'm also a big UT Vol fan and Victor Bailey, Jr had trouble this season getting any PT. The only game he got significant PT this year was at Mizzou and he scorched his Daddy's former Alma Mater as Sr. was a star WR for Mizzou Football team. He's capable knocking down treys. 

wgstl likes this

18 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

There are so many impressive names in the portal… we just need to hold onto our dudes and snag a few. 

It’s free agency for 18 year olds.  Where can I get minutes, makes some NIL money, and win some games.  Landscape is changing I think for the better

rgbilliken likes this

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Yeah, all that talk about how awful Curbelo is …………

I would take him in a heartbeat on next year’s team.  He would get a ton of minutes on next year’s team.

If we were looking for a starting point guard, I would agree with you.  Curbelo is a true point who had a bad season against great competition.  No shame in that.  But we need someone to play alongside Yuri as well as back him up.  Curbelo can only play point.  He can't shoot and is a liability on defense.  He'd be a bad fit here.

The ideal transfer for us is an all-conference combo guard from a bad mid-major team looking to move up.