Vaccine Requirement at Chaifetz

STLHoopsFan

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

power brian.  power and control.  it's their new drug of choice.

It is obvious at a minimum one person involved in this decision has a desire to extend these mandates beyond COVID into the future by inclusion of the flu in the statement.  That is laying the groundwork.  

I skimmed through the announcement and I did not see any place where a refund is mentioned - maybe I missed it.  I think with the negative test requirement and the tests being free I am not sure they are obligated to refund - not saying they won't in some form or another.  I was like many who have said they were surprised that the school did not require it previously.  While we are finding that people may not be 100% protected from being vaccinated what we do know is that being vaccinated significantly decreases the severity of COVID.  We have  friends - a couple - she got vaccinated only because all the women in her circle would not let her join any of the gatherings they have until she was vaccinated but her husband did not and he came down with it last week.  She now has it but she has what she described as cold like but he is really struggling and his doctor is wanting to put him in the hospital but he does not want to go.  Now I am sure if the doctor insisted he would go.  From what I have been told he is rethinking his previous decision.  I don't really talk to him about this stuff because at best it will end in a minor argument so I have just steered clear of him. 

Given that there has been no enforcement of the mask requirement a the games and I understand why they chose not to it does put them in a bad situation PR wise.  If you say you have a requirement then it needs to be enforced.  I wore mine during all the games and asked those who I take to comply and they have all been fine with it but I have noticed that those complying has really shrunk.  By the way The Fox has a vaccine requirement or a negative test within 24 hours and their attendance has been full house level.  The Blues have done the same so we were basically an outlier.  This should not have been a big surprise in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I skimmed through the announcement and I did not see any place where a refund is mentioned - maybe I missed it.  I think with the negative test requirement and the tests being free I am not sure they are obligated to refund - not saying they won't in some form or another.  I was like many who have said they were surprised that the school did not require it previously.  While we are finding that people may not be 100% protected from being vaccinated what we do know is that being vaccinated significantly decreases the severity of COVID.  We have  friends - a couple - she got vaccinated only because all the women in her circle would not let her join any of the gatherings they have until she was vaccinated but her husband did not and he came down with it last week.  She now has it but she has what she described as cold like but he is really struggling and his doctor is wanting to put him in the hospital but he does not want to go.  Now I am sure if the doctor insisted he would go.  From what I have been told he is rethinking his previous decision.  I don't really talk to him about this stuff because at best it will end in a minor argument so I have just steered clear of him. 

Given that there has been no enforcement of the mask requirement a the games and I understand why they chose not to it does put them in a bad situation PR wise.  If you say you have a requirement then it needs to be enforced.  I wore mine during all the games and asked those who I take to comply and they have all been fine with it but I have noticed that those complying has really shrunk.  By the way The Fox has a vaccine requirement or a negative test within 24 hours and their attendance has been full house level.  The Blues have done the same so we were basically an outlier.  This should not have been a big surprise in my opinion.

The whole things a joke... if the vaccine is  effective, no one should care if someone else is or isn’t...meanwhile there are scores of healthy young individuals with heart ailments from the vaccine...but let’s force everyone to take an experimental vaccine....

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is obvious at a minimum one person involved in this decision has a desire to extend these mandates beyond COVID into the future by inclusion of the flu in the statement.  That is laying the groundwork.  

Wether or not this is true, it certainly feeds into this narrative and the concerns raised by many that organizations and government entities will use mask mandates beyond Covid's lifespan.

HenryB and JMM28 like this

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Is there going to be a "beyond COVID"?

This is going to change absolutely no one's mind, so it's probably not worth my effort to type it out, but it will make me feel slightly better.  I very well may have already said this in the past.  I have a kiddo who was a couple months premature and spent a couple months in the NICU.  During that time, I couldn't visit her if I got sick.  Masks DO provide some level of help in reducing the spread of respiratory illness no matter how many times Roy says they are useless.  It's not a huge impact, but it helps.  They are also incredibly cheap and not at all burdensome to wear (although generally people seem to need a better education on proper usage, fit, and on/off procedures to increase effectiveness).  I never thought about it back when my kid was in the NICU pre-COVID, but it would have been great if myself & everyone I was around in public during cold & flu season wore masks so I had to worry slightly less about not being able to see my fragile infant child for weeks if I got sick (or worse bringing an illness into the NICU).  Therefore, I'm all for any public health measure that is even marginally effective, costs taxpayers virtually nothing and is not burdensome.  Masking during cold & flu season especially with the ongoing COIVD pandemic is sort of a no brainer to me.  Masks protect those around you more than you though, so they're really only marginally effective if everyone wears them.  I'm not really even talking about Billiken games or concerts here because those are avoidable if someone was in my situation, but like grocery stores & businesses that you can't avoid.

I honestly couldn’t care less if anyone gets vaccinated or not. But the vaccines aren’t “experimental”. mRNA vaccines have been around for decades. There’s nothing “experimental” about them. And if you think the university hasn’t already considered how much money they might lose before making this announcement, you’re kidding yourselves. If you don’t want to get vaccinated, get your refunded. I fully understand not wanting to pay for games you can’t attend. But you’re not “sticking it to the university” by asking for a refund. There’s a decent chance that large part of this announcement comes from students, if we’re being totally honest.

stmdragons and RUBillsFan like this

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

there still is nothing at slubillikens.com or a personal email explaining such.   old grads that havent went to slu for 40 years have no reason to check a .edu website and some probably dont have twitter.   i do go to slubillikens.com every game to retrieve my tickets for that game, so a pop up there would be nice but an email to our personal email would be better and a robo call wouldnt hurt as well.   they better put it out a little better than they have so far are they are going to have a lot of pizzed off season ticket holders the night of the 18th.   surely they arent that dumb.  

This is SLU we’re talking about. With a few exceptions, SLU hasn’t always been great with some matters of logistics. The vaccine requirement came directly from the university administration, not the athletic department. I could completely see a scenario in which the university announces the vaccine/negative test requirement, and now the athletic department has to figure out how to work out the logistics and implement this requirement. 

I’d expect them to have something put together in the coming days which could be emailed to season ticket holders/single game ticket holders, posted on slubillikens.com, maybe Ticketmaster too, etc.

22 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

We told them up front they weren't purchasing tickets if this was the way it was going to be. They then came out and said you didn't need a test or the vaccine so we bought tickets. They better refund us or make us exempt from this bull****!

billiken_roy likes this

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Wether or not this is true, it certainly feeds into this narrative and the concerns raised by many that organizations and government entities will use mask mandates beyond Covid's lifespan.

I have been at meetings where a couple (not all) of our HR people and one person from our wellness department said we should make the vaccine for influenza mandatory for our employees.  We can't even fill a ton of positions right now and they want to add a flu vaccine mandate on top of the COVID vaccine mandate we may or may not be forced to comply with.  Both times at the meetings I was at where it was brought up, the idea was dismissed.  I assume it has come up at other meetings.  

billiken_roy likes this

6 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Is there going to be a "beyond COVID"?

This is going to change absolutely no one's mind, so it's probably not worth my effort to type it out, but it will make me feel slightly better.  I very well may have already said this in the past.  I have a kiddo who was a couple months premature and spent a couple months in the NICU.  During that time, I couldn't visit her if I got sick.  Masks DO provide some level of help in reducing the spread of respiratory illness no matter how many times Roy says they are useless.  It's not a huge impact, but it helps.  They are also incredibly cheap and not at all burdensome to wear (although generally people seem to need a better education on proper usage, fit, and on/off procedures to increase effectiveness).  I never thought about it back when my kid was in the NICU pre-COVID, but it would have been great if myself & everyone I was around in public during cold & flu season wore masks so I had to worry slightly less about not being able to see my fragile infant child for weeks if I got sick (or worse bringing an illness into the NICU).  Therefore, I'm all for any public health measure that is even marginally effective, costs taxpayers virtually nothing and is not burdensome.  Masking during cold & flu season especially with the ongoing COIVD pandemic is sort of a no brainer to me.  Masks protect those around you more than you though, so they're really only marginally effective if everyone wears them.  I'm not really even talking about Billiken games or concerts here because those are avoidable if someone was in my situation, but like grocery stores & businesses that you can't avoid.

I am sorry for your troubles.  Anyone with a sick child has my heart.  I once got a lot of flack on this board for saying that this is a "you problem" rather than an "us problem."  It' still true.  It's possible to cut down on virus transmission in a very small way by masking up the entire population of the world.  This is not a practical thing to do.  If everyone wore a mask correctly and changed it every couple hours and washed themselves incessantly it might have value.  The same value as a strict 15 mph speed limit and cars filled with marshmellow fluff.

Masks aren't at all burdensome you say?  I say bunk.  Do you have to talk all day and try to be understood in a mask.  If you did you'd see the burden.  I'm triple vaxxed and give blood every 45 days religiously. Never having been exposed to  cmv, my blood is great for sick babies so I'm told.  I think I've done my part.

19 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

We told them up front they weren't purchasing tickets if this was the way it was going to be. They then came out and said you didn't need a test or the vaccine so we bought tickets. They better refund us or make us exempt from this bull****!

This is what I wonder about. Was this always the plan? 
get everyone’s season ticket money with less restrictions and then pop it on everyone come conference games?

It doesn’t matter to me I’ve got my jabs and will continue going either way but I don’t like changing things up mid season.

billiken_roy and StlBills like this

20 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I am sorry for your troubles.  Anyone with a sick child has my heart.  I once got a lot of flack on this board for saying that this is a "you problem" rather than an "us problem."  It' still true.  It's possible to cut down on virus transmission in a very small way by masking up the entire population of the world.  This is not a practical thing to do.  If everyone wore a mask correctly and changed it every couple hours and washed themselves incessantly it might have value.  The same value as a strict 15 mph speed limit and cars filled with marshmellow fluff.

Masks aren't at all burdensome you say?  I say bunk.  Do you have to talk all day and try to be understood in a mask.  If you did you'd see the burden.  I'm triple vaxxed and give blood every 45 days religiously. Never having been exposed to  cmv, my blood is great for sick babies so I'm told.  I think I've done part.

I'm not saying everyone should have to wear masks at all times.  I don't do that.  That would be burdensome.  Just wearing a mask to the grocery store, doctor's office, or pharmacy during cold & flu season isn't burdensome.  I work in an office setting and wearing a mask when I'm in common areas or meetings isn't burdensome.  Also you don't need to change masks every 2 hours and people should absolutely be washing their hands regularly even if they aren't masking.

Edit: Also wanted to add that I appreciate your showing more heart this time around and your donating blood.  That's awesome.  As I said, I don't expect my post to change anything or change anyone's mind, just offering my thoughts / personal experience.

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

get everyone’s season ticket money with less restrictions and then pop it on everyone come conference games?

It doesn’t matter to me I’ve got my jabs and will continue going either way but I don’t like changing things up mid season.

Lol at thinking SLU ever has a plan.

AGB91, JMM28, majerus mojo and 1 other like this

46 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

the blues may require both, but they do not even come close to enforcing it.   the games i have seen it is hard to find a mask.  

i just dont understand both.   if i got the vax, why do i need a mask.  especially since most of the masks are nothing more than clothing accents and do nothing to stop the virus.   now if you have those true hospital operating room masks, those work.   of course they are so uncomfortable, most people would say, forget it.   

but still what exactly was the point of getting the shots if i still have to wear the masks like those that didnt?  the whole thing has turned into a bunch of nonsense.    particularly since it sounds like the newest fear of this newest varient is sounding like the common cold (btw, the common cold is a covid virus).  so many of the big time politicians are caught without their masks so what do they know that we dont?   even our very old president has been caught numerous times when he thought he was off camera without a mask.   i can see the cards (i wish they werent so simple one has to believe eventually counterfeit vax cards will be commonplace count on it).   but the mask nonsense has to just stop.  

4 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I don’t think this was the plan the whole time. And I do think everyone who bought tickets, who has an issue with it deserves a full refund. Things change. Situations change. And there’s no way to prove this, but I’d be willing to bet money that students complained to the administration about it. 

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t think this was the plan the whole time. And I do think everyone who bought tickets, who has an issue with it deserves a full refund. Things change. Situations change. And there’s no way to prove this, but I’d be willing to bet money that students complained to the administration about it. 

Ive been wondering what the temperature is as far as students and their support of the bills. Feel like the student section has been really disappointing this year compared to years past. 

4 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ive been wondering what the temperature is as far as students and their support of the bills. Feel like the student section has been really disappointing this year compared to years past. 

From what I've seen student turnout was really good the first few games and then Mercer game since it hasn't  been very good.  My guess is that SLU was plying students with a bunch of really nice giveaways / free food and once that stopped students stopped coming.  Students are fickle like most fans though.  If the team wins a bunch they'll show up.

RiseOfTheBillikens likes this

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Not sure. But I’ve heard the argument in the past that students have to share classrooms with athletes and managers and students who attend games. So they could get Covid without ever attending a game. Don’t bite my head off, it’s not my argument. I’m just saying that I think student outcry played at least a part in this decision 

RiseOfTheBillikens likes this

53 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I honestly couldn’t care less if anyone gets vaccinated or not. But the vaccines aren’t “experimental”. mRNA vaccines have been around for decades. There’s nothing “experimental” about them. And if you think the university hasn’t already considered how much money they might lose before making this announcement, you’re kidding yourselves. If you don’t want to get vaccinated, get your refunded. I fully understand not wanting to pay for games you can’t attend. But you’re not “sticking it to the university” by asking for a refund. There’s a decent chance that large part of this announcement comes from students, if we’re being totally honest.

You’re full of crap... it most definitely is experimental... notice you completely ignore those who are having adverse reactions from it... again if you want it fine, but stop forcing others to take it... I’m far more worried about the intoxicated fools trying to drive home, who can’t go two hours without a half a dozen over priced beers...

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not saying everyone should have to wear masks at all times.  I don't do that.  That would be burdensome.  Just wearing a mask to the grocery store, doctor's office, or pharmacy during cold & flu season isn't burdensome.  I work in an office setting and wearing a mask when I'm in common areas or meetings isn't burdensome.  Also you don't need to change masks every 2 hours and people should absolutely be washing their hands regularly even if they aren't masking.

You don't work as a customer facing employee 09:00-5:30 having to explain complicated concepts to clients with, often with only a working knowledge of the English Language.  Again if you did you might feel differently.  Most of my clients are unvaxxed (assumption on me part) and most of them are doing the chin strap move.  I'm hoarse and dry-mouthed at the end of the day and it hasn't served any purpose I can see. 

In answer to your first question, yes there will be a "beyond covid" and it's coming soon.  If I had to guess, It'd be November of next year at the very latest.  People in Florida and most of Texas are laughing at us.  We've all just had enough.  

I appreciate the kind words in your edit.  I did not intent to be a troll.   I do wish you and yours well.

2 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You’re full of crap... it most definitely is experimental... notice you completely ignore those who are having adverse reactions from it... again if you want it fine, but stop forcing others to take it... I’m far more worried about the intoxicated fools trying to drive home, who can’t go two hours without a half a dozen over priced beers...

Side effects of Lipitor include:

Man BIG BILL,  I sure hope you don't have high cholesterol, because I'm sure you'd get that muscle wasting problem......doesn't sound good at all

BilliesBy40 likes this

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Ummmmm…when did I say any of that. I literally started my post saying I don’t care if anyone gets vaccinated or not. Also, a vaccine having side effects doesn’t mean it’s experimental. It means it has side effects for some people. Just like every prescription drug on the market. There’s a GINORMOUS difference there.