Signed Recruits' Thread

WVBilliken

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Fair didn't really think about that. Guess Kramer could get some minutes there. 

Oh no, I was literally just asking. Ive only seen 2 clips of Parker, and he was handling the ball in both. Im wondering is Parker- Fred-nesbitt can all rotate on back up PG.  Im sure Thames will get a chance, don't like to rely on frosh tho. 

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Oh no, I was literally just asking. Ive only seen 2 clips of Parker, and he was handling the ball in both. Im wondering is Parker- Fred-nesbitt can all rotate on back up PG.  Im sure Thames will get a chance, don't like to rely on frosh tho. 

Parker is a decent ball handler but not much of a passer. I find it unlikely that he would play point guard.

Just my opinion but I think the most likely Deandre Jones replacements are: 1) similar transfer, 2) Nesbitt, 3) Rashad Williams, 4) Kellen Thames

10 minutes ago, NH said:

Parker is a decent ball handler but not much of a passer. I find it unlikely that he would play point guard.

Just my opinion but I think the most likely Deandre Jones replacements are: 1) similar transfer, 2) Nesbitt, 3) Rashad Williams, 4) Kellen Thames

Williams hasn't shown anything this season to tell me he'd be relied on as a backup PG.  I'd put Thatch in the mix.  He seems like our 3rd option right now behind Yuri & Jones.

billiken_roy likes this

I am surprised that people doubt Kramer as a player next year. I haven’t seen him play, but I expect him to play the most. He is similar to GJ. I see Kramer as a guy who can spell GJ and give some shooting and defense. Kramer showed he could do that with BBE and put up pretty good numbers (~10 minutes).

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Williams hasn't shown anything this season to tell me he'd be relied on as a backup PG.  I'd put Thatch in the mix.  He seems like our 3rd option right now behind Yuri & Jones.

Maybe so, but Fred hasn’t played at that spot a single time this year (or in his 4 years at SLU). Rashad has played point in garbage time and at his prior stops. I agree he hasn’t shown the skill set of a PG, so we’d be better suited to find another option there.

11 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I am surprised that people doubt Kramer as a player next year. I haven’t seen him play, but I expect him to play the most. He is similar to GJ. I see Kramer as a guy who can spell GJ and give some shooting and defense. Kramer showed he could do that with BBE and put up pretty good numbers (~10 minutes).

Not knocking Kramer, but I think people forget GJ was the 4th most efficient scorer in all of EYBL his final year. 

Zink and BuiltFordBills like this

35 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not a huge sample size but in their last game he definitely played off ball most of the time (much more similar to Gibson).  Most possessions the PG would break press and bring ball up, he would be out at the wing waiting for a kick out for his shot or to drive.  A few times he got the ball from handoffs and then looked to attack.

wgstl likes this

2 hours ago, NH said:

Maybe so, but Fred hasn’t played at that spot a single time this year (or in his 4 years at SLU). Rashad has played point in garbage time and at his prior stops. I agree he hasn’t shown the skill set of a PG, so we’d be better suited to find another option there.

Fred has served as the point guard for short periods this season when Yuri was out.  

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Fred has served as the point guard for short periods this season when Yuri was out.  

I don't think there have been any minutes without Deandre Jones or Yuri Collins on the floor, other than the garbage time when Williams ran the point. 

3 hours ago, NH said:

This roster is still crying out for a combo guard - a Mike McCall type player.

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I expect Kramer and Thames to be at the end of the rotation, but get minutes.  The fact that he is similar to GJ is probably not good for him getting minutes.  We just have two many upper classmen that will get minutes head of them.

8 minutes ago, NH said:

I don't think there have been any minutes without Deandre Jones or Yuri Collins on the floor, other than the garbage time when Williams ran the point. 

Roy may be technically correct, but you are pretty much right.  According to the lineup ratings page at https://evanmiya.com/ there have been 9 offensive & defensive possessions of Thatch/TJ/Jimerson/Nesbitt/Linssen.  That lineup had a -58.3 net rating in the very very limited sample.  I assume the website filters out garbage time lineups when the game is in hand because as far as I can tell no other non Yuri or Jones lineups are listed.

To my point on Thatch being better suited than Williams to handle a backup PG role.  Thatch has been tasked with secondary ball-handling duties many times this season while sharing the floor with Yuri or Jones.  He brought the ball up a few times against single man pressure vs VCU.  IMO he is the most reliable non-Yuri or Jones ball handler currently (Nesbitt is probably better, but less reliable).  Thatch also has the 3rd highest assist rate on the team (11.1) behind Yuri (very very far behind Yuri's 43.0) and Jones 17.7.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I agree, but he really needs to be taller than McCall.

I think a taller Mike McCall would have been playing in the Big East or another P5 program. Majerus was good at getting really skilled players who a lot of P5 schools would pass on because they were a couple inches shorter than the ideal height those programs are looking for: McCall, Mitchell, Evans, Conklin. These type of players are perfect for the A-10. I'll take a slightly smaller, highly skilled, high IQ player any day.  

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I agree, but he really needs to be taller than McCall.

Seems Nesbitt could be that guy?  Needs to improve ball handling which can be done. 

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think a taller Mike McCall would have been playing in the Big East or another P5 program. Majerus was good at getting really skilled players who a lot of P5 schools would pass on because they were a couple inches shorter than the ideal height those programs are looking for: McCall, Mitchell, Evans, Conklin. These type of players are perfect for the A-10. I'll take a slightly smaller, highly skilled, high IQ player any day.  

Ford isn't Majerus.

BilliesBy40 likes this

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Ford seems to have no faith in Nesbitt handling the ball.

I disagree- he's handled the ball a fair amount and you can't compare Ford's faith in him handling VCU's defense to any other team- they can speed up a lot of players and force them into turnovers.  The key to winning that game was playing Jones 36 minutes. 

cgeldmacher and A10Ref like this

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Ford seems to have no faith in Nesbitt handling the ball.

Nesbitt isn’t there this year. Goodwin really improved as a ball handler after his first year, and so can Nesbitt.

Edit: Goodwin’s assist to TO ratio was a lot better his first year than I remember. It seemed like he improved as a point guard though from year 1 to 2.

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Even with his increased ballhandling responsibility over the second half of the season, Nesbitt only averages 1.2 turnovers a game.  That's pretty good for a freshman.  The next step is to improve his passing off the dribble.

In conference games he lead our wings in turnovers per 100 possessions at 3.1  He averaged more turnovers than assists in conference games.  All his advanced numbers where down in the conference season. Jordan regressed as a player after Christmas.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

In conference games he lead our wings in turnovers per 100 possessions at 3.1  He averaged more turnovers than assists in conference games.  All his advanced numbers where down in the conference season. Jordan regressed as a player after Christmas.

I disagree with this. Jordan was more efficient in conference play than he was in non-con. His shooting percentage from 2, 3 and FT all improved in conference play. I also think his defense improved as the year progressed. 

I don’t think Jordan made tremendous improvements or anything, but to say he “regressed” feels pretty harsh considering he had most of his best games in conference play (with some stinkers mixed in as well).

35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Nesbitt handled the ball more than the rest of our wings so of course he had more turnovers.