SLU Women's Soccer Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another “Gaebe Goal” and it’s 2-0! She’s an unstoppable force!! Stats are way more lopsided than the score. 13 shots on goal to one for SJU.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:14 AM, courtside said:

SLU 4 Duquesne 0

Two 4-2-3-1 teams. As expected, Duquesne was going to have some trouble with the pace, athleticism, skill, and depth of SLU. And they were also going to be less likely to move more players forward and take more chances, even when down in the game. And that’s what they did, staying in their formation throughout despite the score.

…………….

Explained previously the difference in offense for SLU since Gaebe has started, Kelly moved to the wing along with Larson, and, Groark in the middle. 

Thursday night goals vs Duquesne in the 1st, 9th, and the 11th minutes for SLU. 

Previous games since the personnel and formation change:

SLU goal 5th minute v George Mason. 

SLU goal 9th minute, v VCU.

SLU goal 16th minute v Richmond.

SLU goal 24th minute v UMass.

SLU goal 10th minute v Rhode Island.

SLU goal 1st minute v Duquesne.

Prior to the changes, SLU hadn’t scored in the 1st half in the previous 4 games. 

Lots of quality combination play and passing from SLU that produced endless shots and scoring chances But finishing was inefficient. Four goals is good enough. Like it or not the NCAA and the polls want and expect to see some lopsided scores based on the opponent for SLU. It helps move the needle. There are several strong teams similar to SLU’s level, that aren’t separated by much.

…………….

NCAA released its current top 16 teams which includes season results up to, and prior to, Thursday’s games. It’s a progress report, and, it will change a little bit.

Penn State, FSU, UNC, Stanford, Texas Tech, BYU, UCLA, Clemson, Notre Dame, Arkansas, Brown, Alabama, Xavier, Memphis, Mississippi State, Georgia. 

14 of the 16 teams were in the RPI top 16. 2 were swapped out.

SLU is just beyond this group. If SLU can win out in convincing fashion, the next 4 games, and, get a little help from some other teams, they can make the top 16 and, potentially have multiple home games in the NCAA Tourney.

……………

RPI after Thursday’s games:

BYU 4

Brown 7

SLU 16

Xavier 19

Nebraska 22 (22 goals for Dale)

Dayton 57

Utah State 71 

Creighton 127 (couldn’t hold road lead)

…………….

18 different goal scorers so far this season for SLU. Only 5 healthy field players, all defenders, have yet to score this season. 

…………….

SLU has 54 goals. Only 2 teams have more, BYU and Texas.

……………

SLU is 4th nationally in goals per game.

…………..

It’s SLU’s 5th Atlantic 10 Regular Season title in 6 seasons

………….

SLU 3 Saint Joseph’s 0 

4-2-3–1 for SLU. 

It is the 7th game in a row that SLU has scored in the 24th minute or sooner, sometimes much sooner. This is when Gaebe has started. It’s SLU’s 5th game in a row starting Gaebe at forward, Kelly and Larson on the wings, and, Groark in the middle. It’s been effective for SLU. 

SLU is a well balanced team. But the strength of its teams is, forcing turnovers, winning 50/50 balls, combination play in transition. 

……………..

SLU’s goals vs Saint Joseph’s were scored in typical SLU fashion, of winning 50/50 balls in the middle of the field with its defensive midfielders, combination play transition, and set pieces.

22nd minute. Lawler wins the 50/50 ball at midfield, and she distributed to Kelly on the wing, who sends Gaebe in space in on goal. 1-0.

56th minute. Earning corners, and finishing them in a variety of plays are practiced often at SLU. Luebbert to Heckel, to Gaebe, 2-0.

88th minute. Nice play by Gary in the middle of the field to J Preusser on the wing who curls for Sawyer behind the defense. 3-0.

Lots of pressure and chances all game. SLU sat 3 of its best attacking players with a lot of time left, hoping to tack on one or two more with the next 11. 

……………

Shots 25-2. SLU is 6th nationally in shots per game. SLU is 7th nationally in assists per game. SLU is top 4 nationally in scoring offense. SLU is top 7 in assists per game. 

………………

SLU won its 5th A10 regular season title in its last 6 seasons. They are seeking their 6th straight A10 Conference Tourney Title.

……………….

Brown: Ivy League Champs.

Nebraska: Big 10 Co-Champs.

Xavier: One more game for Big East Co-Champions.

BYU: Likely finishing 2nd by a half game in the Big 12.

Utah State: Playing for 2nd place next week in Mountain West. 3rd at worst. 

…………….

Arkansas won its 4th SEC Title in 5 seasons. They made the Elite 8 the year they didn’t win it. SLU is 2-0 v Arkansas in the past few seasons.

…………….

Current NCAA Top 16 seeds:

12 of 14 won their weekend games. 2 play Monday. Both should win. Number 1 lost but they will still be top 16. 1 will drop out. More will eventually lose in conference tourneys. 

………………

RPI after Sunday:

BYU 3

Brown 7

SLU 14

Xavier 21

Nebraska 23

Dayton 57

Utah State 70

Creighton 127

………………

SLU hosts VCU Friday night in the A10 Conference Tourney.

……………..

Gremio14 and slufanskip like this

As we head into post season play, just a reminder of the overtime rules that now apply. From the NCAA website:

No more golden goal in the postseason

The rule: The days of the golden goal are over. As of 2022, if a postseason game (meaning conference or NCAA tournament) is tied after 90 minutes, overtime will not end when one team scores a goal. Even if a team scores seconds after kickoff in the first OT period, the game must continue until both 10-minute periods have been completed. Should the score remain even after both OTs, a penalty kick shootout will decide the winner.

What it means: While golden goal rules seem to generate exciting finishes in knockout soccer, in theory, the sudden-death rules affect the quality of play in practice. Often, neither team commits numbers forward for fear of leaving itself vulnerable to a tournament- or season-ending counterattack goal. The general idea behind this rule change is to improve the quality of play, giving teams a chance to get back into the game even after conceding in overtime.

Looking back, the Billikens have not played OT minutes since 2021, when in the second OT Lyndsey Heckel got the golden goal to win the game against Rhodey (add got buried under a pile of all her teammates in an event captured on video, which ended with Jess Preusser, also buried under there screaming “Get Off!”. If you haven’t seen it I’m sure there are copies somewhere on the internet.)

The last penalty shootout was April 30, 2021 against Washington in the NCAA tournament, which Washington won 4-3. All three who scored in the shootout are still on the team, they are Abbie Miller, Caroline Kelly, and Jess Preusser, so if it comes to a shootout and you are looking for experienced players who have made a penalty shot in a shootout, that’s the list.

Before that, the last shootout was back on Nov 7, 2013, in Katie Shields first year of coaching against UMass in the A10 tournament, which the Billikens lost.

Just a reminder for everyone one what the rules are, the Billikens have not found themselves in this situation too many times. While a better goalkeeper gives you an advantage, it’s a very small advantage at best. 

Pistol likes this

On 10/16/2023 at 10:40 AM, courtside said:

SLU in the polls:

Top Drawer Soccer: 14

College Soccer News: 21

TDS poll:

BYU 4

SLU 14

Brown 15

Nebraska 16

Xavier 22

CSN Poll:

BYU 5

Brown 17

Xavier 20

SLU 21

Nebraska 26

SLU NCAA nationally ranked stats:

3rd in total goals.

5th in scoring offense.

8th in assists per game.

SLU in the polls:

Top Drawer Soccer: 11

College Soccer News: 15

……………

TDS:

BYU 4

SLU 11

Brown 12

Nebraska 15

Xavier 25

…………….

CSN:

BYU 5

Brown 14

SLU 15

Xavier 20

Nebraska 22

Dayton 25

……………

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

As we head into post season play, just a reminder of the overtime rules that now apply. From the NCAA website:

No more golden goal in the postseason

The rule: The days of the golden goal are over. As of 2022, if a postseason game (meaning conference or NCAA tournament) is tied after 90 minutes, overtime will not end when one team scores a goal. Even if a team scores seconds after kickoff in the first OT period, the game must continue until both 10-minute periods have been completed. Should the score remain even after both OTs, a penalty kick shootout will decide the winner.

What it means: While golden goal rules seem to generate exciting finishes in knockout soccer, in theory, the sudden-death rules affect the quality of play in practice. Often, neither team commits numbers forward for fear of leaving itself vulnerable to a tournament- or season-ending counterattack goal. The general idea behind this rule change is to improve the quality of play, giving teams a chance to get back into the game even after conceding in overtime.

Looking back, the Billikens have not played OT minutes since 2021, when in the second OT Lyndsey Heckel got the golden goal to win the game against Rhodey (add got buried under a pile of all her teammates in an event captured on video, which ended with Jess Preusser, also buried under there screaming “Get Off!”. If you haven’t seen it I’m sure there are copies somewhere on the internet.)

The last penalty shootout was April 30, 2021 against Washington in the NCAA tournament, which Washington won 4-3. All three who scored in the shootout are still on the team, they are Abbie Miller, Caroline Kelly, and Jess Preusser, so if it comes to a shootout and you are looking for experienced players who have made a penalty shot in a shootout, that’s the list.

Before that, the last shootout was back on Nov 7, 2013, in Katie Shields first year of coaching against UMass in the A10 tournament, which the Billikens lost.

Just a reminder for everyone one what the rules are, the Billikens have not found themselves in this situation too many times. While a better goalkeeper gives you an advantage, it’s a very small advantage at best. 

The vast majority of college coaches I know, and I know a’few, prefer the Golden Goal. They didn’t like the rule change at all. They wanted to be different snd unique and not just copy everything Europe.

Many of them would also disagree that it improves the quality of play. Many would say the opposite. The teams that sit back and don’t attack in OT are the same teams that sit back and don’t attack in regulation. No team that thinks it has a good chance to win would sit back instead in OT and play for unpredictable PK’s, out of fear of a counter. 

slufanskip likes this

31 minutes ago, courtside said:

The vast majority of college coaches I know, and I know a’few, prefer the Golden Goal. They didn’t like the rule change at all. They wanted to be different snd unique and not just copy everything Europe.

Many of them would also disagree that it improves the quality of play. Many would say the opposite. The teams that sit back and don’t attack in OT are the same teams that sit back and don’t attack in regulation. No team that thinks it has a good chance to win would sit back instead in OT and play for unpredictable PK’s, out of fear of a counter. 

I agree with you on this, both paragraphs were copied and pasted directly from the NCAA website.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-men/article/2023-08-06/how-college-soccer-overtime-works

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I agree with you on this, both paragraphs were copied and pasted directly from the NCAA website.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-men/article/2023-08-06/how-college-soccer-overtime-works

Not to mention the fun and excitement of joy of victory, and the agony of defeat. 

Besides, teams don’t all have the luxury of having @slufanskip in goal so that they can sit 8 behind the ball and wait for PK’s. 

35 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I am probably a level below a soccer novice and I think the Golden Goal is a better way to decide a game than pk's

I agree with you. After 2 OT’s and no goals though, you probably need to do something else, keep adding OT periods and players will start dropping from exhaustion. Maybe play the first OT fully, and if someone is ahead when it’s over they win and no second OT, and if you need to go to another OT the golden goal applies in the 2nd? If it’s still no result after 2 OT’s, then I think you have to do something else. I would prefer the old NASL and MLS innovation, the shootout instead of PK’s.  For those who don’t know, instead of starting the ball at the penalty spot they started 35 yards from goal, the player had 5 seconds to get off the shot and could do anything in that timeframe, the goalkeeper started on the goal line and could move however they wanted to stop the shot. I think it made for a more natural soccer style of play than just kicking  a PK (save the PK’s for in game infractions like they are today). Chances of this happening are 0% though. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I agree with you. After 2 OT’s and no goals though, you probably need to do something else, keep adding OT periods and players will start dropping from exhaustion. Maybe play the first OT fully, and if someone is ahead when it’s over they win and no second OT, and if you need to go to another OT the golden goal applies in the 2nd? If it’s still no result after 2 OT’s, then I think you have to do something else. I would prefer the old NASL and MLS innovation, the shootout instead of PK’s.  For those who don’t know, instead of starting the ball at the penalty spot they started 35 yards from goal, the player had 5 seconds to get off the shot and could do anything in that timeframe, the goalkeeper started on the goal line and could move however they wanted to stop the shot. I think it made for a more natural soccer style of play than just kicking  a PK (save the PK’s for in game infractions like they are today). Chances of this happening are 0% though. Oh well.

2 balls or no goalie in OT :)

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I said a long time ago (this season) that the ladies would win the A10, win one in the NCAAs and then go home.  It has been SOP for this program.

So what do the soccer gurus think if we are upset in the A10 tourney.  Are we in anyway?

Three dots positioned outside the penalty area.  Teams get to choose straight on, right or left.  Each team runs a set piece from their chosen spot.  Once the ball is put into play from the chosen dot, the outcomes are either a goal, out of bounds, goalie has possession, or ball is cleared back out past the line that marks the penalty area.  The last three result in the end of the possession.  A goal results in a point.  Keep running set pieces until one team scores and the other doesn't.

24 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Three dots positioned outside the penalty area.  Teams get to choose straight on, right or left.  Each team runs a set piece from their chosen spot.  Once the ball is put into play from the chosen dot, the outcomes are either a goal, out of bounds, goalie has possession, or ball is cleared back out past the line that marks the penalty area.  The last three result in the end of the possession.  A goal results in a point.  Keep running set pieces until one team scores and the other doesn't.

Interesting