brianstl

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, BilliKat said:

Wow! What a week! 
my sweet Lillian Kathleen arrived on Wednesday and now okoro? 
sometimes, life is just GREAT!

F4407119-CF1D-4EA0-BE4F-23974464C8CB.jpeg

Billy Kat, your Lilian Kathleen is an absolutely gorgeous newborn. Congratulations and all the best to the family.

BilliKat likes this

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Respectfully is good, thanks.  But respectfully;  I actually read through this entire topic, and so far, I was the first and only person to suggest that roster spots may have some relationship with this ongoing crisis.  Makes perfect sense to me, and I am a higher ed insider who thinks about all this in relation to higher ed, so I just brought it up.

Doc, the problem is we are all well aware of corona and the impact it has on everything. Every single thread on this board could be hijacked by a discussion of corona if we wanted to as it permeates everything everywhere.

not sure a thread welcoming our newest recruit needs to be another place to start corona discussions...

51 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Billy Kat, your Lilian Kathleen is an absolutely gorgeous newborn. Congratulations and all the best to the family.

20 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

LilliKat? Congratulations and sign her up.

Thank you. Feeling very blessed.

hopefully some day!

22 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Doc, the problem is we are all well aware of corona and the impact it has on everything. Every single thread on this board could be hijacked by a discussion of corona if we wanted to as it permeates everything everywhere.

not sure a thread welcoming our newest recruit needs to be another place to start corona discussions...

Which new recruit are u referring to: LiliKat or Okoro? Or both. 

BilliKat likes this

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Linssen has not yet signed a LOI or whatever a transfer signs. Doesn’t mean he won’t. 

Transfer doesn't sign anything. He enrolls.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

They sign a grant-in-aid agreement, I believe.

SLU website hasn’t posted anything on Linssen. They have an article on Lorentsson posted. Typically when the paperwork is in and official, they will post an article on a new signee. 

Don’t know if this means anything or not. 

3 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Guys. Not good to speculate negatively about newcomers who just committed to our program just days ago.  

Stating the SLU website has not posted an article on Linssen is not speculation. There is no article.

12 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Patience is a virtue, even with edits. 
What do you want the U to do? Put out an official press release on something unofficial? That is what this board is for.

As I previously wrote, the SLU website posted an article on Lorentsson. Strickland had an article when he signed. I would expect one on Linssen when his paperwork is final and one on Okoro when his is final. That is all I have said. No speculation, no connecting dots.

Others can jump to any conclusion they want to, because as you have said that is what is done on this board. 

11 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I suppose a guy could chose to become a walk-on giving up their scholarship, but I’m not sure what sort of scholarship opportunities are available to them in the scenario or if they would have to pay full freight. Probably not something players the level of Thatch would do very often. I’d have to do some research to see if I could find some examples. Maybe if a guy could afford to do so?

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that Doug McDermott did that one year at Creighton.  I think they had a player get an unexpected extra year from the NCAA, which put them over the scholarship limit.  So he just used tuition remission/dad paid the rest for that year so everyone could stay.  But that's a pretty rare/unusual situation.

Edit:. Link to article.  I was originally close.  Just no tuition remission, had to pay it all   https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/gibbs-eligiblity-means-doug-mcdermott-to-walk-on-at-creighton/

13 hours ago, dlarry said:

If campuses remain closed until the New Year I find it hard to believe lower level basketball leagues will be playing.

The NBA might open operations but these two aren’t NBA ready.

If the G league and over seas leagues aren’t open these two will be left with 2 options

1. Remain in school, earn a degree, possibly play college ball.

2. Sit on your couch, workout on your own and hope the G league returns to action.

As it pertains to JGood and French, hands down the two most important pierces of our team, I’d say there’s a 95% chance they’re both back.  The odds were already stacked against them talent-wise (JGood needs to develop a more consistent jumper and French can’t play bully ball at 6’7 at the next level).  Add in the pandemic where teams aren’t even hosting workouts for prospects, it makes it even harder for those fringe NBA guys to come to the surface.

I think it will end up being a fairly simple choice for them.

TheChosenOne likes this

8 hours ago, laurk said:

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that Doug McDermott did that one year at Creighton.  I think they had a player get an unexpected extra year from the NCAA, which put them over the scholarship limit.  So he just used tuition remission/dad paid the rest for that year so everyone could stay.  But that's a pretty rare/unusual situation.

Edit:. Link to article.  I was originally close.  Just no tuition remission, had to pay it all   https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/gibbs-eligiblity-means-doug-mcdermott-to-walk-on-at-creighton/

Great find, thanks. I was racking my brain and this is the exact situation I couldn’t place.

8 hours ago, Fraz42 said:

As it pertains to JGood and French, hands down the two most important pierces of our team, I’d say there’s a 95% chance they’re both back.  The odds were already stacked against them talent-wise (JGood needs to develop a more consistent jumper and French can’t play bully ball at 6’7 at the next level).  Add in the pandemic where teams aren’t even hosting workouts for prospects, it makes it even harder for those fringe NBA guys to come to the surface.

I think it will end up being a fairly simple choice for them.

Agree. Obviously there are a lot of bad situations right now, but I do feel for these guys like Goodwin and French who declared for the draft in the hopes of getting in front of NBA teams and receiving feedback regardless of their chances of being drafted. I would be curious to hear if they get anything out of the process given the situation.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this