Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 1 month later...

Wake Forest is parting ways with Danny Manning. (Jeff Goodman)

Steve Forbes, Pat Kelsey, Ryan Odom, Wes Miller, Earl Grant, and others possible contenders there.

Six seasons for Manning there, and never finished above .500 in rugged ACC. Had an NCAA a few years ago, and, he turned that into a coach friendly six year deal with very large buyout. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, courtside said:

Wake Forest is parting ways with Danny Manning. (Jeff Goodman)

Steve Forbes, Pat Kelsey, Ryan Odom, Wes Miller, Earl Grant, and others possible contenders there.

Six seasons for Manning there, and never finished above .500 in rugged ACC. Had an NCAA a few years ago, and, he turned that into a coach friendly six year deal with very large buyout. 

Danny Manning is one of my all time favorite college players.

In 1988 Manning was a one man wrecking crew that lead his KU team to a National Championship.  Manning averaged 27 points a game for 6 games.  Manning scored 31 in the National Championship game against OU.

I think Wake Forest is a tough job for any coach and if Manning cares to coach again I think he will go to a lower rated conference and have some success and stay there.

With the pandemic going on I wonder how many coaching changes will happen because of the unknown future of when games will be played again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, almaman said:

I am guessing less movement with coaches this year because of this. It is offset by the dizzying player movement these days for us hot stove couch potatoes.

 

Why should a school take on a big contract when they are not even sure what next season looks like.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why should a school take on a big contract when they are not even sure what next season looks like.

 

Take on a big contract and in many cases buy out an existing contract. At this point and in the near future I have to imagine the number of coaches being fired with years remaining on their deals will be fairly limited. So Mizzou is likely stuck with their pile of sh!t coaching staff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CBFan said:

With the pandemic going on I wonder how many coaching changes will happen because of the unknown future of when games will be played again.

On the A10 front, so far it seems to have allowed Jeff Neubauer to continue cashing checks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted earlier that I checked NBC's coaching carousel and all the changes so far. Until WF letting Manning go, all the moves were with the mid majors. As someone said above, the uncertainty caused by the virus is the reason. Plus school's finances are coming into play. Buyouts can be expensive. New signees more so. And any new P5 hires last year didn't get a full season, so they get a longer leash. If any school surprises me, it's Indiana. I've got some IU fan friends and they tell me Archie is not well liked in Bloomington. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slu72 said:

I posted earlier that I checked NBC's coaching carousel and all the changes so far. Until WF letting Manning go, all the moves were with the mid majors. As someone said above, the uncertainty caused by the virus is the reason. Plus school's finances are coming into play. Buyouts can be expensive. New signees more so. And any new P5 hires last year didn't get a full season, so they get a longer leash. If any school surprises me, it's Indiana. I've got some IU fan friends and they tell me Archie is not well liked in Bloomington. 

I sure hope Wake promotes from within or selects a high profie assistant coach, former Alum/NBA guy in that taking a lower level P5 or a mid major head coach would sure be devastating.  Yes, May 20th is a long way out, but these are not normal times.  And the right/wrong choice, plus possible immediate transfer rules, quite a shakeup coud occur with just 1 head coaching opening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I posted earlier that I checked NBC's coaching carousel and all the changes so far. Until WF letting Manning go, all the moves were with the mid majors. As someone said above, the uncertainty caused by the virus is the reason. Plus school's finances are coming into play. Buyouts can be expensive. New signees more so. And any new P5 hires last year didn't get a full season, so they get a longer leash. If any school surprises me, it's Indiana. I've got some IU fan friends and they tell me Archie is not well liked in Bloomington. 

Archie walked away from a great situation in Dayton and walked into the over expectations of the Indiana fans.  
Has any coach at Indiana have any success since firing Bobby Knight?

Has OSU had any success since firing coach Ford?

More lessons learned about moving to a P5 head coach position from a successful mid major program.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Archie walked away from a great situation in Dayton and walked into the over expectations of the Indiana fans.  
Has any coach at Indiana have any success since firing Bobby Knight?

Has OSU had any success since firing coach Ford?

More lessons learned about moving to a P5 head coach position from a successful mid major program.

Unless Archie gets it turned around there, and by that I mean like makes a Final 4 or two, he'll be gone. According to my IU friends, IU fans don't take to his personality all that well either. Hell, IU fired Davis two seasons after making a Final 4. I see a likely return to the A10 in Archie's future. 

It's tough for any coach to succeed a legend. UNC, UCLA, IU are examples just to name a few. Whoever follows Coach K, Boeheim, and Calipari are going to find themselves in the hot seat from day 1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Unless Archie gets it turned around there, and by that I mean like makes a Final 4 or two, he'll be gone. According to my IU friends, IU fans don't take to his personality all that well either. Hell, IU fired Davis two seasons after making a Final 4. I see a likely return to the A10 in Archie's future. 

It's tough for any coach to succeed a legend. UNC, UCLA, IU are examples just to name a few. Whoever follows Coach K, Boeheim, and Calipari are going to find themselves in the hot seat from day 1. 

Thank you 72 I could not remember who took over after Bobby Knight and it appears Davis had some success.
I do not remember what Archie’s personality is like.  I wonder how the Indiana fans would have felt about Rick Majerus’s personality had he coached for them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Thank you 72 I could not remember who took over after Bobby Knight and it appears Davis had some success.
I do not remember what Archie’s personality is like.  I wonder how the Indiana fans would have felt about Rick Majerus’s personality had he coached for them?

Here’s a good example of Archie’s personality. He’s a pompous ass.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Thank you 72 I could not remember who took over after Bobby Knight and it appears Davis had some success.
I do not remember what Archie’s personality is like.  I wonder how the Indiana fans would have felt about Rick Majerus’s personality had he coached for them?

They'd have loved Rick, because he would have had them winning at a high level. Plus, he had more than a little Booby in his personality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Thank you 72 I could not remember who took over after Bobby Knight and it appears Davis had some success.
I do not remember what Archie’s personality is like.  I wonder how the Indiana fans would have felt about Rick Majerus’s personality had he coached for them?

Hoosier fans don't care about personality, they care about outcomes.  They measure success in Big Ten titles and runs to the championship game because that's what peak Bobby Knight delivered.  The level of success Majerus had at SLU and in his last few years at Utah would not have been nearly good enough.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, slu72 said:

Buyouts can be expensive. New signees more so. And any new P5 hires last year didn't get a full season, so they get a longer leash.  

All of the P5/P6 schools had full regular seasons. 

11 hours ago, CBFan said:

Has any coach at Indiana have any success since firing Bobby Knight?

Yes. Tom Crean took the Hoosiers to three Sweet Sixteens and won two Big XII regular seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Compton said:

Yes. Tom Crean took the Hoosiers to three Sweet Sixteens and won two Big XII regular seasons.

Except Indiana has never been in the Big XII, even when the Big Ten has had more than 10 teams and the Big XII has had less than 12 teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Except Indiana has never been in the Big XII, even when the Big Ten has had more than 10 teams and the Big XII has had less than 12 teams.

A truly miraculous accomplishment on the part of Crean. 

Of course. Big Ten. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Compton said:

All of the P5/P6 schools had full regular seasons. 

Yes. Tom Crean took the Hoosiers to three Sweet Sixteens and won two Big XII regular seasons.

 

7 hours ago, 4thgenBill said:

They lost in the title game to Maryland in the 01-02 Season. 

Thank you for the information it appears the Indiana program will never be happy and sooner or later might have trouble finding a coach to risk a good mid major position to coach a Indiana program with unreasonable expectations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...