SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

root was very good in "man in the high castle" as well.    while his Radio days were great, nothing tops his performance in "office space" imo.

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

root was very good in "man in the high castle" as well.    while his Radio days were great, nothing tops his performance in "office space" imo.

Check out Barry on HBO if you haven't already.  He, Bill Hader, and an actor who plays a character named Noho Hank are all outstanding.

GBL_Bills and Pistol like this

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Well it looks like we will still be under 26,000 tomorrow.  We will eventually pass it before the weekend, but I think Old Guy projection will be closer than anything we got from the models that were touted as gospel early on.  Old Guy maybe an A$$, but he clearly knew what he was talking about here.  

We were projected to have 40 deaths over the last two days in Missouri.  It looks like we ended up with six.  The projection yesterday for the US was 2,150, it looks like the total 1,659.  Yesterday was supposed to be peak death according to the IHME.

Looks like we should pass 26K mamana as I predicted 6 days ago. Over O g 's 26K total was all I'm addressing. If the other 450K remaining cases all land in the recovered list than much kudos to O g. if it stays @ 39%  dead it's gonna be a lot higher than 26K

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Well it looks like we will still be under 26,000 tomorrow.  We will eventually pass it before the weekend, but I think Old Guy projection will be closer than anything we got from the models that were touted as gospel early on.  Old Guy maybe an A$$, but he clearly knew what he was talking about here.  

We were projected to have 40 deaths over the last two days in Missouri.  It looks like we ended up with six.  The projection yesterday for the US was 2,150, it looks like the total 1,659.  Yesterday was supposed to be peak death according to the IHME.

You are forgetting that the estimates go until August in the models.  Also, NY had a scale down of deaths for a couple of days and then it blew up to 2 days of record setting death totals.  This isn't over for a long time.

9 minutes ago, almaman said:

Looks like we should pass 26K mamana as I predicted 6 days ago. Over O g 's 26K total was all I'm addressing. If the other 450K remaining cases all land in the recovered list than much kudos to O g. if it stays @ 39%  dead it's gonna be a lot higher than 26K

Today would have been less than six days.  You predicted that we would pass it in less than six days.  You add the total of the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th would be five days.  I will even give you the totals from today and we still probably won't pass it in 6 days total.  Of course we are going to pass 26,000 eventually, but I am comfortable saying that 26,000 will be closer to the total than 90,000-120,000.  

billiken_roy likes this

6 hours ago, brianstl said:

First, 26k U.S deaths in such a short amount of time is an enormous amount that easily could and should have been significantly less with better preparation, better response, better execution.

Second the number of deaths is vastly underreported. Many have  died, and are dying, at home without testing, without treatment etc...And this of course doesn't count long term health effects for many that get the virus.

We are well over 25k U.S. COVID-19 deaths mid day Tuesday April 14, 2020, likely reaching the 26k number tomorrow, Wednesday, at the latest. Old Guy said many times there would be less than 26k deaths for the duration of the pandemic, which hopefully ends before 2022. We will be counting dead bodies for a long time to come next year.

Old Guy said in multiple posts that sports could and should play in March, including SLU. He said the spread rate, and mortality rate were low. He has said it primarily only affects old folks. 

Old Guy declared Dr. Fauci as a "real expert, he is good," only later to suggest Fauci was inflating numbers to increase CDC funding and power. 

Old Guy said this would all be over by May and that everyone was having a massive overreaction to the pandemic such as closing schools and places of business. If not strict mitigation, as Old Guy opposed the numbers would be even signficantly worse than the already terrible 25k number in a matter of just weeks.

Old Guy said Fauci's word was not gospel, and that he is not remotely related to the Lord in Heaven and he has no supernatural powers.

In March, Old Guy said to "Put the Bubbly in the fridge," saying we be getting closer to the end. This of course as incorrect as it was, was quite an interesting choice of words as he at the same time was petulantly complaining about COVID-19 songs.

He then of course engaged in bullying infantile behavior with multiple posters who refuted some of his information. He was dismissive of randomized controlled trials, as well as signficicant side effects (which have been as bad as advertised) in particular drugs for COVID-19. He had no interest in the patients who rely upon that particular drug nor its shortage for them. He incorrectly proceeded to dismiss the need for ventilators and manufacture a Chloroquine vs ventilators either or discussion that no one else was having. 

Old Guy repeatedly mocked the very vital, very underserved medical specialty of Psychiatry, as if it were less important than other medical specialties.

Old Guy hasn't acknowledged that the vast majority of U.S. cases have come from Europe.

Old Guy doesn't believe there are any Independent Voters and thinks people who don't vote don't care, without any acknowledgement of rampant voter suppression and voter purging.

These are just a few, in this thread alone.

To almaman and brianstl:

You both may consider me to be an ass, a feeling that is mutual if I may  say so. However, knowledge and expertise has nothing to do with personality. Yes boys, this ass knows what he is talking about and thank you for your very reluctant recognition of that fact. Yes, my estimate will be much closer than Fauci's or Ferguson's. Probably even closer than the IHME's model used in the briefings. Reluctant recognition has always been highly appreciated by me. I has helped me a lot in my life and career to be recognized for my ability and knowledge, as reluctantly given as the recognition might have been. Remember this please, the real asses are the ones that have no idea what it is they are talking about. Again, thank you.

MB73 likes this

14 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Eugene Levy was always over rated in  my opinion.  He peaked in 1984 in the movie Splash  Give me David Foley and the Kids in the Hall everyday and twice on Sunday.  Find some channel somewhere playing News Radio.......Dave Foley AND the late great Phil Hartman.  God I miss Phil Hartman......

Have you seen his work in the Christopher Guest movies?

Kids in the Hall possibly most disappeared high profile comedy troop in history. Foley may have been most active after show was over. All of their stuff not very visible. Last thing I knew them doing. Death comes to Town. It was hard to find even when it was new.If you haven't seen it's got some great stuff.

On 4/9/2020 at 2:24 PM, almaman said:

O Gs 26K. line in the sand will be passed in less than 6 days if we avg the same total as last 2 days divided by 2. 

Trump needs you in the inner circle Old Guy your alternative facts will fit right in with the other crooks and idiots.

I said his 26K would be topped in 6 days. Wednesday is the 6th day. 29 hours left, 795 till we hit 26K. 1550 so far today. I'm sticking with my prediction. But obviously it is going to go over his predicted #. those 26K and all after are a big frigging drag and I mourn for them all. my main point is being echoed by most right thinking folks around the globe the idiot that the Russians help take over our country and now is acting like a dictator caused many uncalled for deaths that could of been avoided.

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

To almaman and brianstl:

You both may consider me to be an ass, a feeling that is mutual if I may  say so. However, knowledge and expertise has nothing to do with personality. Yes boys, this ass knows what he is talking about and thank you for your very reluctant recognition of that fact. Yes, my estimate will be much closer than Fauci's or Ferguson's. Probably even closer than the IHME's model used in the briefings. Reluctant recognition has always been highly appreciated by me. I has helped me a lot in my life and career to be recognized for my ability and knowledge, as reluctantly as the recognition might have been. Remember this please, the real asses are the ones that have no idea what it is they are talking about. Again, thank you.

As always hope you are correct. seems kind of unlikely as we have 10% of the total cases resolved at a death rate of 39% down 1% since Saturday.There are still 550K remaining cases. If we cut the % in half once all cases are resolved and no new case occur we would have way more than 26K. I'm afraid to do the math it's depressing.

26 minutes ago, almaman said:

I said his 26K would be topped in 6 days. Wednesday is the 6th day. 29 hours left, 795 till we hit 26K. 1550 so far today. I'm sticking with my prediction. But obviously it is going to go over his predicted #. those 26K and all after are a big frigging drag and I mourn for them all. my main point is being echoed by most right thinking folks around the globe the idiot that the Russians help take over our country and now is acting like a dictator caused many uncalled for deaths that could of been avoided.

No you said less than six days.  That would include the total from the 9,10, 11, 12, and 13th.  5 days<6 days, 6 days=6 days.  

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

As always hope you are correct. seems kind of unlikely as we have 10% of the total cases resolved at a death rate of 39% down 1% since Saturday.There are still 550K remaining cases. If we cut the % in half once all cases are resolved and no new case occur we would have way more than 26K. I'm afraid to do the math it's depressing.

Almaman, I want to remind you that you plus everyone else is also afraid to do much of anything at this time. You are not the only one hoping I am correct but scared that I might not be. You are scared because everything you have been hearing from multiple sources are singing a different tune from mine. Fear is not a good state of mind and it is not compatible with clear thinking. I hope you still have that bottle of bubbly in the Fridge. My wife and I opened one bottle on Easter to celebrate the resurrection of the Lord, of course, but also in anticipation of the termination of the epidemic. I do not think we will have to wait for long.

All the best to you, take some time to walk outside, watch the sun shine and the little green buds on the tree branches, and think of how nice and sweet life can be.

dennis_w likes this

1 hour ago, courtside said:

First, 26k U.S deaths in such a short amount of time is an enormous amount that easily could and should have been significantly less with better preparation, better response, better execution.

Second the number of deaths is vastly underreported. Many have  died, and are dying, at home without testing, without treatment etc...And this of course doesn't count long term health effects for many that get the virus.

We are well over 25k U.S. COVID-19 deaths mid day Tuesday April 14, 2020, likely reaching the 26k number tomorrow, Wednesday, at the latest. Old Guy said many times there would be less than 26k deaths for the duration of the pandemic, which hopefully ends before 2022. We will be counting dead bodies for a long time to come next year.

Old Guy said in multiple posts that sports could and should play in March, including SLU. He said the spread rate, and mortality rate were low. He has said it primarily only affects old folks. 

Old Guy declared Dr. Fauci as a "real expert, he is good," only later to suggest Fauci was inflating numbers to increase CDC funding and power. 

Old Guy said this would all be over by May and that everyone was having a massive overreaction to the pandemic such as closing schools and places of business. If not strict mitigation, as Old Guy opposed the numbers would be even signficantly worse than the already terrible 25k number in a matter of just weeks.

Old Guy said Fauci's word was not gospel, and that he is not remotely related to the Lord in Heaven and he has no supernatural powers.

In March, Old Guy said to "Put the Bubbly in the fridge," saying we be getting closer to the end. This of course as incorrect as it was, was quite an interesting choice of words as he at the same time was petulantly complaining about COVID-19 songs.

He then of course engaged in bullying infantile behavior with multiple posters who refuted some of his information. He was dismissive of randomized controlled trials, as well as signficicant side effects (which have been as bad as advertised) in particular drugs for COVID-19. He had no interest in the patients who rely upon that particular drug nor its shortage for them. He incorrectly proceeded to dismiss the need for ventilators and manufacture a Chloroquine vs ventilators either or discussion that no one else was having.

Old Guy hasn't acknowledged that the vast majority of U.S. cases have come from Europe.

Old Guy doesn't believe there are any Independent Voters and thinks people who don't vote don't care, without any acknowledgement of rampant voter suppression and voter purging.

These are just a few, in this thread alone.

Very good post. 

30 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

It appears we are now over 26k deaths: https://t.co/x5XMCC3cKk?amp=1

long way to go to get to that 240,000 discussed a couple of weeks ago.   

dennis_w and MB73 like this

42 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

The article is a little confusing because it appears that the national total might have already included these numbers as they have been reported to NCHS for over a week.  It appears that it was just the total for NYC own official count that needed to be updated.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The article is a little confusing because it appears that the national total might have already included these numbers as they have been reported to NCHS for over a week.  It appears that it was just the total for NYC own official total that needed to be updated.

Agreed, there is some confusion.  I do think it highlights that we are likely under reporting mortality numbers.  In any event, this stinks and makes me think we're likely in a bad place for a while. 

49 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Are you going to celebrate this? Do you realize that the new total was caused by officials in NY deciding to add more than 3,700 deaths "suspected" to be caused by Covid to their totals. When you play with funny or fake (read "suspected") numbers the sky is the limit, is it not?