SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I love that movie. I like Amadeus, and Lucy. As for HBO series I like Sam Adams and Rome.

Loved Amadeus saw it first 2 days it came out, once with date next with mom. Another Animal House star.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, almaman said:

I'll take Caine Mutiny as my fave Bogart flick. I downloaded a Friar roast of Bogey a few years back.

An amazingly good book, Herman Wauk's best.   Bogey as the bad guy never worked for me.  

My favorite line from Casablanca:

Peter Lorre: "And you Rick, I trust you despise me?"

Bogey: "If I gave you any thought I would." 

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Sequels that are better than the original?

I'll start off with one that most people probably won't agree with: Blade Runner 2049.

Now we're talking:

Empire Strikes Back (yes, it's a sequel)

Aliens

Terminator 2

Godfather 2

Spiderman 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Thor: Ragnarok

The Dark Knight

Caddyshack 2 (just kidding)

Both Bourne sequels

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

An amazingly good book, Herman Wauk's best.   Bogey as the bad guy never worked for me.  

My favorite line from Casablanca:

Peter Lorre: "And you Rick, I trust you despise me?"

Bogey: "If I gave you any thought I would." 

I wouldn't have thought of that line but I like it. My favorite line from any movie    Hobson says to Linda  Thank you for a memorable afternoon. Usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet a woman of your stature.   Anyone know what movie without looking it up? 

14 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I wouldn't have thought of that line but I like it. My favorite line from any movie    Hobson says to Linda  Thank you for a memorable afternoon. Usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet a woman of your stature.   Anyone know what movie without looking it up? 

Sounds like Groucho.

btw Groupon extending expiration dates on all already bought stuff.

45 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

they were bowling in "the big lebowski"   is that it?

29 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

they were bowling in "the big lebowski"   is that it?

Nope. LOL. I can't stand that movie either. When we lived together my brother would have that on constantly. I just don't get it. 

Hint. No bowling was actually in the movie. 

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Nope. LOL. I can't stand that movie either. When we lived together my brother would have that on constantly. I just don't get it. 

so not Kingpin.

32 minutes ago, almaman said:

so not Kingpin.

I thought someone would guess Kingpin which is why I wrote no bowling. 

The original Arthur.  When Dudley Moore meets Liza Minelli in Bergdorf Goodman's and John Geilgud get introduced to her. That movie has so many funny lines. He drives up to pick up a hooker and there are 2 standing there. He tells his driver give the other one $50 for coming in 2nd after he picks the one up (Gloria) . He goes into a high class restaurant with Gloria and see's family there. he introduces her as Princess Gloria and goes on about how small the country she's a princess of and say's it so small Rhode Island could kick it's ass in a war.  However, Geilgud steals the movie. His lines are funny and he plays the perfect butler. If you haven't seen it or seen it in a while go back and watch it. Imo the funniest movie I've ever seen. 

OK  guys I came accross an article from China that shows preliminary stats suggesting that people with an "O" blood type are significantly less susceptible to getting clinical Covid infections, and have a better prognosis if they do. The other groups all have a higher likelihood of getting it and having a bad outcome. This was a record study comparing the blood types of thousands of people that tested positive for Covid and their outcomes. The neagtive outcomes (disease or ARDS) were significantly lower in percentage terms than the total % in with a (+) test in the patient population studied. Conversely those with blood types A, B, and AB developed negative outcomes in significatnly larger % of cases, than they percentage of these blood types in the poulation that tested (+) for Covid.

I thought this was interesting. I cannot give the link because the article was being discussed by a panel of "experts" which could not agree with one another, as experts do.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:01 AM, brianstl said:

Some really good news for the country and really good news for Missouri.Dramatic change in the projected death totals in the IHME model.  Down around 12,000 for the country to 81,766. Missouri projected death down over 900 to  352 with a peak on April 13.

What we have have done is having an impact at least according to the models and could mean a much sooner return to normal.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

If the past couple days are any indication, it looks like the updated projection totals are going to be too high.  That is possibly more good news.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

5 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Big Lebowski is a good one. There is a bar in Hilton Head that I used to go to, Big Bamboo, that had Big Lebowski nights every Tuesday. The played the movie continuously on the big screen and $1 White Russians all night long.

brianstl likes this

I am aware the IHME death projection keeps on getting close to the number I predicted. This is no surprise to me, epidemics are always open ended events, minor changes at the start of the epidemic, and this includes regional changes, will have major effects in the mortality at the end. Models have to start with a broad range between worst case and best case death prediction scenarios and then tighten the curves as the epidemic progresses. Anyone that holds onto dire estimates saying such and such could happen, etc. has ulterior motives for making such statements. Politicians and funding seekers thrive on panic in many different ways.

Yes Corona may become a yearly event like the flu. In past years and seasons, prior to the development of accurate diagnostic tests for corona, there simply was no way to separate corona from influenza just by the clinical presentation and natural history of the  disease, including its progression to ARDS as a preterminal development. It is entirely possible that corona virus epidemics may  have been bundled with what we have been calling "influenza" for many  years. This makes it entirely possible that a lot of people in the population may have had prior experience with corona virus disease  which was not possible to detect as such. Those people who had prior experience with corona may have developed some degree of immunity, even if it is partial immunity, to it. This may also explain the genomic fragment variation found in current corona virus patient isolations.

Another possible outcome of  this epidemic is that it will transition from an epidemic into a chronic disease with an undeterminable number, at the present time, of cases occurring throughout the whole year, with perhaps a seasonal peak. This is exactly the way influenza works every year. Influenza never goes away, a few new cases occur throughout the year, with a seasonal peak in the early  months of the year, the "flu season." Corona may well have a cycle like the flu does. And just like it happens with the flu, the population of  this country, including the people totally panicked at this time by the Corona infection, may get to accept X number of deaths every year from Corona, like they do for the flu.

Unfortunately, this disease has become so embedded into the political process that it will be difficult to separate the truth from the absolute garbage that is floating out there. Something similar happened with HIV in the 1980's. By the way, the political garbage in which HIV and AIDS became embedded into resulted, in my opinion, in a huge amount of unnecessary excess deaths simply because accurate numbers were not available to reach accurate assessments of the effectiveness of new treatments. The band kept playing on and yesterdays events and deaths become unimportant to the population, the media, and the politicians. This, in no way, mitigates the terrible nature of the disease and the difficulties faced by  those people who have become infected with the virus, they are just forgotten. Out sight, out of mind as the saying goes. Political crap has no place in dealing with epidemics, but it has become our daily bread. Politicians and the media just love to keep the panic going in whichever way they can, they use it to further their needs and aims.

This too shall pass and become relegated to the same place that flu epidemics have in the popular consciousness, which is close to nil. We, the US, will not cease to exist because of this epidemic. Maybe it will happen some day, but definitely not this time around.

dennis_w likes this

Just to prove the point I made above, here is a Chinese article identifying the excess production of certain types of cytokines which can be correlated with a worse evolution of the Covid disease and a greater likelihood of death. I would like to invite our psychiatrist expert, as well as our chemist expert to give their learned opinions as to the significance of these findings. The article is here:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.02.20029975v1.full.pdf

Please go and take look at this data.