Ingvi "Thor" Gudmundsson - Redshirting?

SluSignGuy

I think this has been alluded to in Game Day Threads, but do we have any knowledge whether Gudmundsson may be hurt or planning to redshirt?  If we did not use him with our foul situation in the Seton Hall game.  I could only really assume we don't want to burn a year of his eligibility.  Or did I miss a more official announcement?

Hankton hasn't played yet either, right? I didn't get the impression we were going to redshirt either of them, and that it was more a function of Ford not being comfortable playing them because we haven't had any comfortable wins yet. But maybe they will redshirt him, I don't know.

25 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I think this has been alluded to in Game Day Threads, but do we have any knowledge whether Gudmundsson may be hurt or planning to redshirt?  If we did not use him with our foul situation in the Seton Hall game.  I could only really assume we don't want to burn a year of his eligibility.  Or did I miss a more official announcement?

Or maybe he is deemed a practice player at this point in college career?

Unless we have an unreal season (which I think we will, especially compared to recently), not playing these guys will lead to transfers with players getting eligible right away recently. 

I don’t think this will be the case since players like Jacobs, KC and Thor look up to the top guys playing and know playing time is available next year 

I think it benefits Ingvi more to play this year, even if he only gets garbage time in blow outs. 

Next year he will be competing against a very similar style player in Gibson Jimerson, who by all accounts is one of the best shooters in the country at his age.  Having some game time for a good college team will be beneficial for Ingvi. 

When we speak of red shirting haven't been talking about why do that anymore because of the grad transfer rule.

I would not red shirt any one anymore I want as many players available in case of injury, suspensions, etc...

With the grad transfer rule I do not think there is any reason to do that with the exception of the medical red shirt.

We are currently playing with 8 players because that is what we have available at this time. Welmer and Santos are out for good, Hankton and Jacobs are injured but not out. The only left over scholarship player available at this time, other than the 8 that are playing, is Gudmunsson which Ford is not playing because he wants to develop him more before entering play. The way it is, if we get into serious foul problems in any future games we will probably have to play (ready or not) Gudmunsson or the walk ons. That is, until Hankton and Jacobs can play again. I fully expect to see Gundmunsson and or the walk ons playing at some point before the A10 play starts. Our off conference schedule is much tougher than the A10 will be.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

He was amped up when he was put in.  He went to a spot and was just waiting for the ball.

I hope Ford knows the Icelandic language because I’m sure he had some choice words for Thor after he jacked up that 40 footer. 

It’s all good in my book, I like the confidence.

29 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I hope Ford knows the Icelandic language because I’m sure he had some choice words for Thor after he jacked up that 40 footer. 

thor in 30 years talking to his grandchildren:

"well i went to college at saint louis university.   the first game i got in, i got the pass, took two dribbles left then fired up a 40 footer.   just barely missed, but man had that went it, my whole life would have changed.   i would have played in the nba made the hall of fame and we would have had one of those big houses over in Skerjafjörður, Reykjavik .   But it missed and the last 30 years ive worked for the public library system in Iceland.   not a bad job, but man if i had only made that shot..........."

42 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Ford, Rammer, and Earl were laughing about it on the postgame show. 

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

I love the confidence.  I just hope he turns out to have the shot to match that confidence.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

thor in 30 years talking to his grandchildren:

"well i went to college at saint louis university.   the first game i got in, i got the pass, took two dribbles left then fired up a 40 footer.   just barely missed, but man had that went it, my whole life would have changed.   i would have played in the nba made the hall of fame and we would have had one of those big houses over in Skerjafjörður, Reykjavik .   But it missed and the last 30 years ive worked for the public library system in Iceland.   not a bad job, but man if i had only made that shot..........."

Lol

This is an A+ post