Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
brianstl

Former Billiken in the news

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. Still remember Derek from those great clagget and highmark teams.

I’d like to see the video to know what really happened but sounds like much ado about nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. Still remember Derek from those great clagget and highmark teams.

I’d like to see the video to know what really happened but sounds like much ado about nothing.

Pretty much my opinion on the incident, too. 

I saw the name and the first thing that popped into my mind was a three pointer he hit.  I can’t remember who it was against.  The Bills were up big in the final minutes. Spoon clears the bench. The team kept running plays and setting screens to try to get him a three.  I think he missed two and then he got one.  The crowd went crazy.  Don’t know if hit another in his time on the team, but I remember that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Record books say Derek never hit a 3.

My recollection is Derek was a scholarship baseball player who got injured and tried out for the basketball team.  Played for two years and then played baseball only his sr year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Record books say Derek never hit a 3.

My recollection is Derek was a scholarship baseball player who got injured and tried out for the basketball team.  Played for two years and then played baseball only his sr year.

Well my memory sucks then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I like your version better. 

I looked at the media guide.  He didn’t hit a three.  The game was against Augustana in 93-94.  The Bills were up by over 30 with 5 minutes to go and Spoon cleared the bench.  He hit a shot, but it wasn’t a three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

-nice article, great to see him getting his degree, good luck Tommie, wishing you much success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Besides being a great Billiken BB player, he was a class kid.  So was his family.

I'm glad to see that he is making some Euros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bauman said:

Besides being a great Billiken BB player, he was a class kid.  So was his family.

I'm glad to see that he is making some Euros

Nicely said, one of my all time favorites and will never forget the serious look he had on his face when he played the game.

Happy to see he is playing and making money and I wish for only the best for Dwayne and his family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Nicely said, one of my all time favorites and will never forget the serious look he had on his face when he played the game.

Happy to see he is playing and making money and I wish for only the best for Dwayne and his family.

Does anyone know if this is the top German division?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, willie said:

Does anyone know if this is the top German division?

Yes it is, Basketball Bundesliga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played for Gladiators Trier. I was stationed close by and spent a lot of time there. The basketball team wasn't big then, don't know if it is now. Hockey was the biggest sport in the late 80's even bigger than soccer drawing crowds of 4-5k per game in a town of about 100k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've researched a lot about European leagues and they still confuse me a lot.

Last year Evans played on Ludwigsburg.  They finished 3rd in Bundesliga, not too shabby, and qualified to play in the Champions League which they finished 4th.  The Champions league would be akin to an NCAA team playing in the CBI, a third tier playoff.

Now he is on Ratiopharm which finished last year 10th in Bundesliga.  For some reason though Ratiopharm is going to play in the Eurocup, which is the NIT of Europe, the second tier league.  

Evans may be a bench player on Ratiopharm.  They have some good talent, including Luke Harangody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Jordair for making it back to the NBL in Australia after a two year absence after his knee injury in the summer of 2016.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hawks are the team that Cody Ellis plays for.  It has some A10 flavor with Rotnei Clarke and Demitrius Conger, also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad for Dwayne.  In my opinion, he was the best player of the Majerus bunch.  He was such a sound player.  It would have been great if Cody Ellis was around for one more year.  Evans having to play more 4 his senior year with Ellis gone I think hurt his output and opened things up for Jett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

I am glad for Dwayne.  In my opinion, he was the best player of the Majerus bunch.  He was such a sound player.  It would have been great if Cody Ellis was around for one more year.  Evans having to play more 4 his senior year with Ellis gone I think hurt his output and opened things up for Jett.

I feel kind of the opposite.  Jett in his Jr year was the best offensive player on the team.  He was forced to defer to Evans and Mitchell.  Jett should have been given the keys earlier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I feel kind of the opposite.  Jett in his Jr year was the best offensive player on the team.  He was forced to defer to Evans and Mitchell.  Jett should have been given the keys earlier.  

this is a take I didn’t know I needed. you wonder, if majerus was around, how things  might have developed vs. crews simply re-rolling the dice each season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty scary brawl during the Australia - Philippines game.  Kevin was on the bench during the melee. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...