OT: Mizzou’s Title IX story also involves recording w/o consent

TheBand

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/more-women-file-complaints-against-suspended-mizzou-basketball-player/article_ccfd2008-8f2f-5aa2-9631-e7986aad2e2b.html

One woman said she reported an incident in which Phillips allegedly filmed a sexual encounter between them without her consent. Another outlined multiple allegations of predatory behavior toward her and other women by Phillips.”

• 5 months later...

Thanks for posting @dlarry, I am looking forward to the season and the positive vibe with our favorite basketball team is great but I will not forget the injustice until those responsible are unemployed.

Happy Friday

billiken_roy likes this

It's become clear to me that the pendulum has swung so far to the female side of things in Title IX cases that you are inevitably going to have many instances of disgruntled women claiming Title IX violations as a way to seek revenge on men they are mad at. If you believe half of what Terrance Phillips wrote, it's clear that was the largest motivation for his accusers.

It has always been the case that disgruntled women could falsely claim physical abuse by then men, but typically there is some sort of sign that physical abuse actually occurred. In this way, most of the complainants had to be legit because there was actual evidence.  With Title IX all it takes is a woman saying that she once had sex under the influence with a man and now regrets it or is uncomfortable around that man. That simple accusation basically stains that man forever and in the case of athletes more often then not gets them kicked off the team.

gobillsgo likes this

43 minutes ago, kshoe said:

It's become clear to me that the pendulum has swung so far to the female side of things in Title IX cases that you are inevitably going to have many instances of disgruntled women claiming Title IX violations as a way to seek revenge on men they are mad at. If you believe half of what Terrance Phillips wrote, it's clear that was the largest motivation for his accusers.

It has always been the case that disgruntled women could falsely claim physical abuse by then men, but typically there is some sort of sign that physical abuse actually occurred. In this way, most of the complainants had to be legit because there was actual evidence.  With Title IX all it takes is a woman saying that she once had sex under the influence with a man and now regrets it or is uncomfortable around that man. That simple accusation basically stains that man forever and in the case of athletes more often then not gets them kicked off the team.

Sheesh!  Is the answer to return to having unisex colleges?!

46 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Is Betsy Devos actually going to repeal the kangaroo court portion of Title 9? Anyone know of any updates to that? I thought that was one of her biggest promises. Not trying to get political but that was something I was looking for

There is nothing to repeal. The Obama administration sent a letter that basically reinterpreted something that had been around forever. They told schools to use a terribly low standard of proof or they would risk losing federal funding. There was no legislation enacted, just taking a 50? year old law and using the gray area in the wording to interpret it how they like. 

The academic world of course ran with this with glee. 

Devos's update was basically saying "you don't have to do this anymore, but we're going to try to rewrite the actual law to make this a fair process for both parties." 

The academic world had already feasted on the opportunity to build more useless departments, hiring sympathetic-to-the-cause females to fill the role of judge, jury, and executioner with very little oversight for threat of scandal. The Devos update has largely been ignored by these schools for those and many other reasons. There is bureaucracy to protect! 

It sounds like this guy was guilty of one thing - not being smart enough to date/fornicate with people from different friend groups. The system gave these scorned friends a way to forever label this guy as a criminal. Good for him for speaking out. I hope some outlet gives him a longer form chance to write or tell his story. 

29 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

There is nothing to repeal. The Obama administration sent a letter that basically reinterpreted something that had been around forever. They told schools to use a terribly low standard of proof or they would risk losing federal funding. There was no legislation enacted, just taking a 50? year old law and using the gray area in the wording to interpret it how they like. 

The academic world of course ran with this with glee. 

Devos's update was basically saying "you don't have to do this anymore, but we're going to try to rewrite the actual law to make this a fair process for both parties." 

The academic world had already feasted on the opportunity to build more useless departments, hiring sympathetic-to-the-cause females to fill the role of judge, jury, and executioner with very little oversight for threat of scandal. The Devos update has largely been ignored by these schools for those and many other reasons. There is bureaucracy to protect! 

It sounds like this guy was guilty of one thing - not being smart enough to date/fornicate with people from different friend groups. The system gave these scorned friends a way to forever label this guy as a criminal. Good for him for speaking out. I hope some outlet gives him a longer form chance to write or tell his story. 

Back in my day (boy, does that make me feel old!), people would have called Phillips a "dog," but they wouldn't have been trying to ruin his life.

Oh, and he is a dog!

All men are dogs really.  By the same token all women are (insert your own epithet here.)  We all want sex and we all want it to be like it is in the movies.  When your lover turns out to be Aziz Ansari instead of Jerry McGuire you do not get to run the the relationship police.  This is nuts and has to end.

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Is Betsy Devos actually going to repeal the kangaroo court portion of Title 9? Anyone know of any updates to that? I thought that was one of her biggest promises. Not trying to get political but that was something I was looking for

I doubt it.  She is too busy trying to locate where she left all her yachts.

rgbilliken and willie like this

I love how if anyone ever suggests that women should be held to some sort of comparable level of accountability as men, you automatically get labeled as a victim blamer and misogynist. The more I hear about these sorts of stories, the more I start to believe that a significant portion involve women outright making up claims of rape.

34 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I love how if anyone ever suggests that women should be held to some sort of comparable level of accountability as men, you automatically get labeled as a victim blamer and misogynist. The more I hear about these sorts of stories, the more I start to believe that a significant portion involve women outright making up claims of rape.

You only hear about the stories that have question marks. As a person who has had students (plural, unfortunately) directly affected by sexual assault, your post comes off as misguided if not malicious. If you’d had kids in your office in tears explaining why they missed class that week you probably wouldn’t be so quick to judge. Btw, I’m talking mostly about your second sentence and the use of the phrase “significant portion”.

Edit: Just adding that none of the stories I was privy to (where the University’s investigation was an open and shut case) ever got published. The men involved were removed from school via one avenue or another and the press didn’t say a word. Note that I’m not saying these stories necessarily should get published, just that you hear about the stories that get clicks. The headline: “Yet another female student gets raped” doesn’t exactly sell papers, ya know? Except when it’s by an athlete, I suppose. 

Edited by Zink

There have been instances where men have filed similar Title 9 claims and the courts have upheld  basically this come down to who files first  M en are less likely to file therefore most of these cases end up with man being accused  situations like these are a result of how people have been covering these claims up for years now people pay for sweeping under the rug   Things will change given time but until then it will be bumpy  Devois actually made it worse by removing the 90 day time requirement for resolution