Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

I don’t comment, just lurk to see what’s going on but I’m done. I was in the pep band in the 90’s, am a season ticket holder and went to 10 ncaa games the Bills played in.  I’ve spent my last dime for awhile. This process is just asinine. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

All you suckers saying “I can never be a Billiken fan again” will be the first on the bandwagon once SLU fires Chris May and makes it into the big dance in the year 2050.

I’ll be ready again when I’m 74. 

2 hours ago, Scoop said:

Hopefully the appeal can knock down the punishment.  Take it to 1 year, get everyone back next year and move on.  KM needs to come in and talk to these guys.  I truly believe JGood loves SLU and this city.  He is the glue.  Get him to stay and play and maybe we can avoid total melt down.  

This is my hope 

I really think the Board of Trustees needs to be held accountable in this situation.  Alongside major changes in senior leadership, shakeups on the board are clearly warranted.  There are way too many Trustees to be effective.  If they cannot see how much irepairable damage this has caused, they need to be removed and replaced.

In my view once a suspension goes beyond 6 months and certainly a year, it ends up punishing the program,  school and fans, rather than the player, as the player simply leaves.  I don't think anything constructive is achieved once the penalty exceeds 6 months. 2 year suspensions are like multiple life sentences. No one is going to do that, you might just as well expell them.  If i thought these players really posed a threat to other students I would view it differently. 

SouthSide_Billiken likes this

Just now, BigMouthBilliken said:

All you suckers saying “I can never be a Billiken fan again” will be the first on the bandwagon once SLU fires Chris May and makes it into the big dance in the year 2050.

Been through this too many times. For me it goes back to when I was a kid and they denied admission to Upchurch.  Each screw up has been worse.  I don’t  think I want to be emotionally invested when they top this one.

We can argue the faults and merits of Chris May, but this isn’t on him. 

35 minutes ago, Billiken82 said:

+1

See you at the next home game. I will continue to support the players not suspended or expelled. They are working hard out there and deserve support. I know this decision hurts. I wanted them back on the team fully. I just didn't expect it will happen. I am pushing 50 and a good many of fans I talked to who are my age predicted the same. Call me names if you want. Sticks and stones..etc... if the young guys want change, go run for your local legislator and make change happen. Before you do that I want you to think about something. This country elected a president in 2016 who has what you call a dubious history when it comes to things of this nature. Do you realize that is what motivated the Me Too movement? I cannot be certain but I feel that perhaps none of this result would have came to be without those two factors.  Remember for every action there is an equal reaction. I know you all will think that's silly but I think it actually has Merit.  everything that has gone on over the last year has put a microscope on all things related two sexual assault or related unseemly activity. some people just don't want to believe it but I think it's true. I want you to remember that I really do love the SLU Billiken basketball program. I go to Every men's game into as many of the women's game as I can. when my kids ask about what happened I can only say that a group of young people made decisions they probably wish they hadn't. Please don't stop supporting the players who are still in the program. Their commitment deserves respect. As with the situation with Reed and Mitchell, this too shall pass.

SLUMAMA likes this

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hey BigMouth a lot of these guys are not likely to be alive by 2050

Ouch, I resemble that remark. Better put down this pizza and go for a walk.

2 hours ago, Scoop said:

Hopefully the appeal can knock down the punishment.  Take it to 1 year, get everyone back next year and move on.  KM needs to come in and talk to these guys.  I truly believe JGood loves SLU and this city.  He is the glue.  Get him to stay and play and maybe we can avoid total melt down.  

Excellent post!  Both pragmatic and realistic. This is currently the best result we can hope for - JG is an elite player.  The best we’ve had since the Legend.  If the suspension gets reduced to 1 year, I’ll bet he stays.

13 minutes ago, JeffinMH said:

See you at the next home game. I will continue to support the players not suspended or expelled. They are working hard out there and deserve support. I know this decision hurts. I wanted them back on the team fully. I just didn't expect it will happen. I am pushing 50 and a good many of fans I talked to who are my age predicted the same. Call me names if you want. Sticks and stones..etc... if the young guys want change, go run for your local legislator and make change happen. Before you do that I want you to think about something. This country elected a president in 2016 who has what you call a dubious history when it comes to things of this nature. Do you realize that is what motivated the Me Too movement? I cannot be certain but I feel that perhaps none of this result would have came to be without those two factors.  Remember for every action there is an equal reaction. I know you all will think that's silly but I think it actually has Merit.  everything that has gone on over the last year has put a microscope on all things related two sexual assault or related unseemly activity. some people just don't want to believe it but I think it's true. I want you to remember that I really do love the SLU Billiken basketball program. I go to Every men's game into as many of the women's game as I can. when my kids ask about what happened I can only say that a group of young people made decisions they probably wish they hadn't. Please don't stop supporting the players who are still in the program. Their commitment deserves respect. As with the situation with Reed and Mitchell, this too shall pass.

People like you are the reason we live in the overly sensitized divided world that we live in today. You validate your asinine views prefacing them with a reminder that your superior wisdom allowed you to predict this outcome. You then pontificate about a larger issue completely unrelated to this situation (i.e., the 2016 Presidential Election). Finally, you jump onto your moral high horse before riding off to another public forum where you will again make a fool of yourself.

BILLS324 likes this

20 minutes ago, JeffinMH said:

As with the situation with Reed and Mitchell, this too shall pass.

That situation occurred with the best freshman class in well over 20 years taking the court. 

This situation empties out our talent, most likely costs us Gordon, and makes future recruiting much more difficult. It might be 3-5 years before the team is even good enough to finish at or above .500. 

We could reasonably lose these fourS2 players, Bess, Foreman, Gordon, and even Thatch next year. Who knows maybe Santos and Pearson leave.  I think only Santos on that list would have to sit out a year. I am also assuming SLU does the right thing and releases players from their LOIs.

While it is emotional right now, I don’t think I am overstating the damage done. I am maybe too optimistic in thinking Ford doesn’t give up and also walk away. 

5 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Excellent post!  Both pragmatic and realistic. This is currently the best result we can hope for - JG is an elite player.  The best we’ve had since the Legend.  If the suspension gets reduced to 1 year, I’ll bet he stays.

+1.....will be interesting to see how this affects Ford. Best recruiter we’ve ever had. I think he knew about the expulsion & it’s no coincidence they offered the 2018 point guard from Chicago right away.

Our best hope is we have 3 returning players next year in JJ, French, and Santos. If we are lucky we will keep 2 of our current recruits. This is as bad as it gets. I don’t even think Fords recruiting skills will be able to bridge that gap. He has 8+ scholarships to fill this Spring. 

So someone I talked to is pretty in the know about SLU’s Title IX organization. He knew the SLU swimmer who was suspended for sexual assault and who eventually filled a lawsuit (and won) against the University after being cleared. Apparently in that case, the hearing officer that was appointed (it is a different person every time) was a women’s and gender studies professor. If this situation is anything like that one, the Hearing Officer that was appointee was likely a SLU tenured professor, likely in the gender studies program.

i suppose the hearing officer appointed is always a SLU professor, which I did not know before talking to this friend of mine (who coincidentally has had conversations with Kratky before...)