Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

20 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Our only hope for D-1 survival is Coach Ford staying. Then, maybe Bess and Foreman don't transfer, and the 3 recruits stay commmited. He's a great recruiter, and proven he's a solid game coach  Those of us who bleed Billikens Blue, can't jump ship, no matter how much we detest Pestello.

COACH PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!! YOU ARE ONLY HOPE.

The way SLU has handled this. Wouldn’t be surprised if they were the ones to “ask” Ford to leave

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

but it is a religious institution.

SLU is only a religious institution when it is convenient for them. When it is advantageous, they fervently argue that they are not a religious institution.

http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/2007/02/st-louis-university-is-a-secular-institution-not-a-catholic-or-jesuit-university/

So to recap, they can pick and choose when to act as a religious institution. SLU's administration makes me sick.

1 minute ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

We have to do something at next home game 

I'm sure you and the other 200 people there will think of something clever. Only one problem: this school doesn't care about athletics, particularly men's basketball.

I won't step foot inside Chaifetz any longer unless it's for a concert (super pumped for Sam Smith this summer you guyyyssss!!!)

The appeals panel has an easy cop out:  "This appeal does not allow us to adjudicate the punishment, but rather judge the process.  From our vantage point, the university followed its guidelines and adhered to its obligations under the same.  For these reasons, the appeal is denied."

Okay so they brought in someone from Philadelphia to railroad the players.  Was this already known?  Was it that same one person deciding this punishment? 

Maybe the appeals board will realize that this punishment is ridiculous 

9 minutes ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

SLU is only a religious institution when it is convenient for them. When it is advantageous, they fervently argue that they are not a religious institution.

http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/2007/02/st-louis-university-is-a-secular-institution-not-a-catholic-or-jesuit-university/

So to recap, they can pick and choose when to act as a religious institution. SLU's administration makes me sick.

Great point. Forgot about this! I remember arguing about this in my admin law class at SLU.

22 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

This is very disappointing, but I think we're all ignoring the environment that we're living in today. Just because these four may not be charged with a crime, that doesn't mean they didn't violate the moral code of a private university. I'm unaware of what the student code is at SLU, but it is a religious institution. Their standard might be higher than a public institution and the players should have known what that standard was before signing up.

What I'm surprised about is how very few are blaming the players for their irresponsible and reckless actions. Yes, I know that there are plenty students and student-athletes across the country that might have committed similar acts which went unpunished, but that doesn't excuse their behavior.

Moral code?????  Are you telling me the girls were paragons of virtue?  Last time I checked the actions of the girls violated the 10 commandments as well.  Where is the outrage against their violation of morality?  The players knew what they were doing and so did the girls.  I want to vomit listening to this crap.

Just now, gobillsgo said:

Seriously, where is Dr Chaifetz in all this?  

What do you want Dr. C to do? Pay off the Title IX office? Look, this is horrible and i'm effectively done with SLU (i'll cheer for the guys on the court) but I don't think asking donors to pay off the university is the direction 99% of us want this to go either. 

Long time reader limited but haven't posted in so long I forgot my login and had to re-register.  Anyway, I would question at this point whether there isn't a challenge to the decision (or appeal opportunity) based on discrimination in such a way that either Title IX or its application in this case violates the players' rights (civil rights, equal protection, etc.).  Aside from whoever videotaped and posted the video online, all other participants in this act should face the same penalties-- assuming they were all otherwise consenting to their acts.  If the evidence shows consensual activity by the participants, then again, I would think the guilty party is the recorder/poster and all of the other participants are basically on equal footing.  The disparate treatment raises the question as to why there is disparate treatment-- is it because the players are men (sexual discrimination) or because the players are African American and the girls white- (racial discrimination).  Unless the players colluded to secretly videotape the acts and also colluded to post the video, application of the rule here appears ripe for challenge.

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

What do you want Dr. C to do? Pay off the Title IX office? Look, this is horrible and i'm effectively done with SLU (i'll cheer for the guys on the court) but I don't think asking donors to pay off the university is the direction 99% of us want this to go either. 

Who said anything about paying anyone off?  He could’ve been putting pressure on Pestoolo to enforce reasonable deadlines. 

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

He signed a LOI. Unless Ford goes, he won’t be released. 

Now if I was Ford, I’d be taking literally any other job I could get. 

It would be another garbage move by SLU not to release him if he requests it.  This is NOT what he signed up for.

The only bigger garbage move was waiting until the first week of the new semester to railroad the S2 kids to ensure the incurred maximum damage.

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

He signed a LOI. Unless Ford goes, he won’t be released. 

Now if I was Ford, I’d be taking literally any other job I could get. 

fords stuck.  he wont make the kind of money he is getting paid anywhere else considering he really hasnt accomplish anything yet.    his plan for success was basically just blown up and you dont get paid for a plan.   sure if a good offer came, i wouldnt hesitate to jump, but ford is likely not getting such an offer.