New Years Resolutions and Observations (please keep it going)

1 Travis Ford is a great recruiter and seems to be an adequate to below adequate coach otherwise.

2 I will not renew my season tickets or otherwise support Billiken athletics or St Louis university if the horror that is situation 2.0 isn't resolved to my satisfaction soon.

3 My children (2 boys) will not attend St. Louis University.

4 I will not allow NCAA basketball scores to effect my life and/or level of intoxication

Keep it going...........................................

55 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

1 Travis Ford is a great recruiter and seems to be an adequate to below adequate coach otherwise.

2 I will not renew my season tickets or otherwise support Billiken athletics or St Louis university if the horror that is situation 2.0 isn't resolved to my satisfaction soon.

3 My children (2 boys) will not attend St. Louis University.

4 I will not allow NCAA basketball scores to effect my life and/or level of intoxication

Keep it going...........................................

Not buying at all the narrative that Ford is a mediocre or less coach.  His job was remarkable last year with what all would agree was a very limited roster.  It was especially impressive how the team finished.  With the situation and a more challenging schedule it is difficult to criticize his work this year.  You don't have to be John Wooden to come up with a game plan to limit this roster of non shooters. My only concern is that Ford isn't going to continue to put up with this crap for much longer.

2 hours ago, HenryB said:

Not buying at all the narrative that Ford is a mediocre or less coach.  His job was remarkable last year with what all would agree was a very limited roster.  It was especially impressive how the team finished.  With the situation and a more challenging schedule it is difficult to criticize his work this year.  You don't have to be John Wooden to come up with a game plan to limit this roster of non shooters. My only concern is that Ford isn't going to continue to put up with this crap for much longer.

Travis' overall lack of coaching, game plan, using a time out, offensive strategy, lack of pressuring our chucker-in -chief to maybe not shoot every time down the court all tell me that maybe I shouldn't care if Travis gets pissed and leaves.  I've had it with the Bills from Pestello on down.  Maybe Travis Looked better than Crews did last year because he seemed to give two shittes unlike Crews. I wouldn't compare him to Wooden or even Spoon just yet 

8 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Travis' overall lack of coaching, game plan, using a time out, offensive strategy, lack of pressuring our chucker-in -chief to maybe not shoot every time down the court all tell me that maybe I shouldn't care if Travis gets pissed and leaves.  I've had it with the Bills from Pestello on down.  Maybe Travis Looked better than Crews did last year because he seemed to give two shittes unlike Crews. I wouldn't compare him to Wooden or even Spoon just yet 

Wow...You sure started the new year in a bad mood...I will cut you some slack because the situation can have that effect...but...pray tell where I compared Ford to Wooden?? I said the opposing coach didn't have to be Wooden to game plan against us because our roster has been decimated.  And Spoon? I never mentioned his name.  Every coach looks better with good players.....considering who Ford has I am very pleased with his performance.  Take out your bitterness on Fred, not me.

I will not boycott games regardless of what happens with S2 because if we want to kill the basketball program boycotting would be the final nail.

I want Gordon, Thatch, Pearson, Goodwin, French, Santos, JJ, and Bess to know they have my full support and that I will renew my season tickets.

There are poachers out there that would love to call the coaches of the 2018 recruits and talk about a fan boycott and the handling of S2 and that may get these guys to change their mind.

I want the 2019 guys we are recruiting to know I support SLU sports and will continue to introduce Billiken Basketball to other people.

I have not been happy at all with S2 but 2018 will be a better year as long as the 3 2018 recruits enroll in school and we get good players signed for 2019.

Zink, dlarry, drkelsey55 and 5 others like this

7 hours ago, CBFan said:

I will not boycott games regardless of what happens with S2 because if we want to kill the basketball program boycotting would be the final nail.

I want Gordon, Thatch, Pearson, Goodwin, French, Santos, JJ, and Bess to know they have my full support and that I will renew my season tickets.

There are poachers out there that would love to call the coaches of the 2018 recruits and talk about a fan boycott and the handling of S2 and that may get these guys to change their mind.

I want the 2019 guys we are recruiting to know I support SLU sports and will continue to introduce Billiken Basketball to other people.

I have not been happy at all with S2 but 2018 will be a better year as long as the 3 2018 recruits enroll in school and we get good players signed for 2019.

I agree boycotting is like cutting your nose off to spite yourself - same with not donating.  We are all not happy with what is happening but hurting the program makes no sense.  Now letting the powers to be know how we feel is fine.  Also, I look at the donation issue in two ways - 1. donating to the basketball program  2. donating to the school in general.  Now I feel little motivation to donate to the school in general - that will get the message across to Dr. P but not donating to the basketball program only hurts the one part of the school that we all have a common interest in.  I also agree that wanting the incoming recruits and the current top players to stay the course is important.

Another thing that I have found interesting - when Dr. P got the rankings for SLU to stop the downward slide and show some improvement then a lot of people were singing his praise but now that he has fumbled this matter (Situation 2) in some minds then he is not a leader, weak, and only a people pleaser.  Funny how people take a narrow view based on the matter at hand.

7 hours ago, CBFan said:

I'm not formally boycotting games.  I've just found it nearly impossible to motivate myself to go.

3 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I'm not formally boycotting games.  I've just found it nearly impossible to motivate myself to go.

I was somehow able to motivate myself to go the last 3 years of the crews era,  if that was possible, anything is possible. 

21 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I agree boycotting is like cutting your nose off to spite yourself - same with not donating.  We are all not happy with what is happening but hurting the program makes no sense.  Now letting the powers to be know how we feel is fine.  Also, I look at the donation issue in two ways - 1. donating to the basketball program  2. donating to the school in general.  Now I feel little motivation to donate to the school in general - that will get the message across to Dr. P but not donating to the basketball program only hurts the one part of the school that we all have a common interest in.  I also agree that wanting the incoming recruits and the current top players to stay the course is important.

Another thing that I have found interesting - when Dr. P got the rankings for SLU to stop the downward slide and show some improvement then a lot of people were singing his praise but now that he has fumbled this matter (Situation 2) in some minds then he is not a leader, weak, and only a people pleaser.  Funny how people take a narrow view based on the matter at hand.

Yup, never adjust your opinion or expectations based on increased data or further performance history.  seems like a good rule.  This thing has been an absolute boondoggle and his leadership qualities are rightly being questioned by some.

1 minute ago, LindellWest said:

Yup, never adjust your opinion or expectations based on increased data or further performance history.  seems like a good rule.  This thing has been an absolute boondoggle and his leadership qualities are rightly being questioned by some.

My point was you need to take the entire picture into account not just the matter that is at hand at the moment.  This issue should be factored in but so should all of his actions.

resolution: b/c i dont live in STL currently , still watch every bills game either on TV or my computer, probably my computer.

observation:if we don't win the a-10 tournament we're *&^%$#,,,

our shot percentage needs to go up, if we hit our shots we can win,, FT's included

bess needs to continue to step up as a leader and get the guys moving,

i blame it all on the new billiken , i know this is late but the truth is that that guy is supposed to be a googly eyed friendly dude not a mean tough aggressor,, the billiken defeats its foes by  tricks not be being mean and scrary.....  call it what u will ,, the reason we're losing is because the new billiken aint got the right face,,, man i miss my friend the real billiken, miss the good ol bill, that new won has done no good to our program or our school

billiken_roy likes this

14 minutes ago, youjustgotKMed said:

resolution: b/c i dont live in STL currently , still watch every bills game either on TV or my computer, probably my computer.

observation:if we don't win the a-10 tournament we're *&^%$#,,,

our shot percentage needs to go up, if we hit our shots we can win,, FT's included

bess needs to continue to step up as a leader and get the guys moving,

i blame it all on the new billiken , i know this is late but the truth is that that guy is supposed to be a googly eyed friendly dude not a mean tough aggressor,, the billiken defeats its foes by  tricks not be being mean and scrary.....  call it what u will ,, the reason we're losing is because the new billiken aint got the right face,,, man i miss my friend the real billiken, miss the good ol bill, that new won has done no good to our program or our school

"Ol Bill" = Biondi? "New Billiken" = Pestello? Or are you talking mascots?

19 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I can't boycott games I've already paid for.....I can decide to Join brother Moytoy and not renew my tix.......It'd be a shame to miss Gordon in person though........Fook!

To be fair, if I lived in STL then I likely would have renewed my tix. But I'm with @Box and Won something feels different with this one and it has really crushed my passion. 

i miss biondi, majerus and the old billiken,,, even tho there was a lot of "no confidence" votes in biondi,, i really liked him and thought he was a great guy and great for the school,,,, biondi wouldve let the boys play and gotten those rioters off the campus faster

Biondi would have ended this situation 2 nonsense in a couple of weeks. Everyone involved in it would have been expelled and the title IX proceedings ended, he would have saved a ton of money compared to what this thing is costing the University. Then he would have hired a high power lawyer to defend the University against law suits, spending some of the money saved. He probably would have commissioned a new statue to commemorate the event, spending the rest of the money saved. That is the Biondi I know of. I am glad Biondi is not SLU's President during situation 2. Pestello may have his issues, but nothing like Biondi had.

GBL_Bills likes this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Biondi would have ended this situation 2 nonsense in a couple of weeks. Everyone involved in it would have been expelled and the title IX proceedings ended, he would have saved a ton of money compared to what this thing is costing the University. Then he would have hired a high power lawyer to defend the University against law suits, spending some of the money saved. He probably would have commissioned a new statue to commemorate the event, spending the rest of the money saved. That is the Biondi I know of. I am glad Biondi is not SLU's President during situation 2. Pestello may have his issues, but nothing like Biondi had.

Best Old guy post I've ever read

3 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

Then why did S1 take 5 months to resolve?

S1 shouldn’t be compared to S2.  First, Title IX didn’t apply to sexual assault cases then. The  “Dear Colleague” letter didn’t go out until 2011.  

Second, S1 involved multiple heavy hitters trying to pull Biondi/SLU in different directions.  One of those people just happened to have a family member involved in the case and a school at SLU named after him.