OT: Porter out for the year

billiCAN

15 minutes ago, jamestown007 said:

Please...Please get your information right before you speak. You do NOT know My sons academic history at all..MY SON, Joseph didn't not attend 3/4 years of his academics at Vashon. He only went Madison College Prep his freshman year. The school closed and everyone for the most part transferred to Vashon. No it was definitely not my first choice, but we went. We won state...it was a great year of basketball, but I constantly found myself at odds with both the school, the board of education, and the Superintendent of St Louis City schools, Dr Adams. Trust me he knows me by name. I was a thorn in his side..I spoke up against the curriculum at the school and the lack of challenge for the kids..as well, the lack of consistency in leadership, due to the fact that in three years Vashon had  4 head principle changes! Thats ridiculous! As a parent of a child attending SLPS I wanted the best for all of our children..But the Superintendent and the Board have other things in mind, other Thenmaking a better way for these inner city youth. So, to hush me up, they allowed for Joseph to go to Central Visual Performing arts which has NO SPORTS programs and he is challenged where, I was supposed to shut up, keep quite and allow for them to continue to not challenge the rest of the kids in SLPS. It was then that I was approached and asked to run for the Board of Education..I was endorsed by Our very own Post Dispatch and St Louis American newspaper..as well, almost all of the huge voting turnout wards in the city! With this being said, Joe has always maintained no less then a 3.5 GPA, and has plans on going to school to study to be an electrical engineer. NOw sadly there are only two schools that offer calculus as a class in SLPS, Metro and McKinley. However, guess what, East St Louis does..go figure! So as far as Joe being qualified..TRUST ME, he is fine! Thank you for your concern! We have this under control! 

Clayton offers calc 1& 2; athletics are ok.  After my granddaughter exhausted all of Clayton's math courses, they paid her way to take calc 3 at Wash U.  Good luck on his future - sounds like a great kid with his head on straight 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-one question and one comment for you....did you have to move or how did your son obtain residency to attend ESL? 

-and given less than 1% of high school bball players make the NBA, I say in all sincerity all the best to your son with education leading to having a successful life

Thank you! We are aware of the numbers..and even though every child has that dream, we are firmly grounded...Josephknows that that's a high mountain to climb...However after doing the research, ODU is a great school, with a beautiful campus! as well, the average graduate out of any electrical engineering program makes $85k...with ODU they come out $110...with NASA, and the largest ship yards in the country..The FBI headquarters along with just a long list of possibilities in that area. We are pleased with the offer from and the decision that ODU choose Him! they had him high on their recruiting charts! What they see...WE SEE and have been saying..With head Coach Jeff Jones, Asst Coaches Brian Stiff (ex NBA player) Asst Coach Richardson, we are honored and ready to be a Monarch! its a WIN WIN...on both ends..i wish the best of luck for St Louis Billiken basketball..I truly do.. They didnt sell the school well..ijs...all they said and offered was...that Joe gets to stay home...that was it..We never talked at one time about school and academics...at least from what I can remember..

As well....Umm. The other guy posted an article from 2007????? in regards to racial tensions in Virginia! LOL, seriously! LOL

Edited by jamestown007
Left out some information

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

A more current example. It sounds a lot like what's happened recently at Mizzou, or a lot of other places. (Not to mention that 80-foot tall Confederate memorial right downtown, which - like everywhere else - has seen protests and counterprotests.)

This thread is way off track and probably would've and should've died an unceremonious death weeks ago had STLHI not kept bumping it with nonsense.

Anyway, I don't think anyone wishes ill upon Joe Reece or ODU, and I personally hope he's another in a long line of local/state/regional players tearing it up in college hoops.

I will say from over a decade of experience on this board: Absolutely no good comes from parents posting here. Reading it is bad enough. Posting is worse.

jamestown, i havent ripped on your son's own academics.   i have ripped on vashon and east st louis academics.   i have one question.   if you truly were about preparing your son to become an engineer, wouldnt it  have made more sense to move to say clayton, or parkway or in illinois to edwardsville, or ofallon or belleville where all have outstanding reputations for college prep especially in math related subjects to prepare for an engineering major?    i speak as the father of a former college athlete that went to college to become an engineer.   so i have some experience on the college prep scenario for athletes more concerned about their academic future.   while east st louis might technically offer calculus and other college prep coursework, i question their track record of graduating high academic achieving college students.   

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

jamestown, i havent ripped on your son's own academics.   i have ripped on vashon and east st louis academics.   i have one question.   if you truly were about preparing your son to become an engineer, wouldnt it  have made more sense to move to say clayton, or parkway or in illinois to edwardsville, or ofallon or belleville where all have outstanding reputations for college prep especially in math related subjects to prepare for an engineering major?    i speak as the father of a former college athlete that went to college to become an engineer.   so i have some experience on the college prep scenario for athletes more concerned about their academic future.   while east st louis might technically offer calculus and other college prep coursework, i question their track record of graduating high academic achieving college students.   

The ability to up and move school districts is not something that just anyone can do, much less afford to move in to some of the ones you mentioned...

Just now, Zink said:

The ability to up and move school districts is not something that just anyone can do, much less afford to move in to some of the ones you mentioned...

they apparently did it moving from central city to east st louis.    and there are lesser priced neighborhoods in the illinois cities i mentioned.    

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

they apparently did it moving from central city to east st louis.    and there are lesser priced neighborhoods in the illinois cities i mentioned.    

True. I don't want to get into a huge political debate, but the fact that moving away from your home and community is seen as the best (only?) way to ensure your son gets a decent education is pretty ridiculous in a country as wealthy as ours. Mobility is a (sorry for using such a leftist/pinko/commie term ahead of time) privilege.

Ford offered Vashon sophomores Cam'ron Fletcher and Kobe Clark back in the summer. Guess what? Those kids aren't coming here either. The adults around them aren't interested in seeing them at SLU. It is what it is.

As for the posters who piled up on Joe Reece's dad -- you're barking up the wrong tree. He not only talks the talk, the walks the walk. And yeah, Norfolk has race problems. But St. Louis is in it's own category. Those of you who are living in comfortable suburban bubbles really have no idea how bad it is.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Ford offered Vashon sophomores Cam'ron Fletcher and Kobe Clark back in the summer. Guess what? Those kids aren't coming here either. The adults around them aren't interested in seeing them at SLU. It is what it is.

It gets annoying when "insiders" come on the board and speak in generalities like "making a recruit a high priority" when the truth of the matter is the local recruit doesn't want to go to SLU.  And that's OK.  No kid going to Vashon or having anything to do with Coach Irons will ever consider SLU.  We offer, do our due diligence and when it isn't met with interest we move on.  We shouldn't get criticized for that.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

It gets annoying when "insiders" come on the board and speak in generalities like "making a recruit a high priority" when the truth of the matter is the local recruit doesn't want to go to SLU.  And that's OK.  No kid going to Vashon or having anything to do with Coach Irons will ever consider SLU.  We offer, do our due diligence and when it isn't met with interest we move on.  We shouldn't get criticized for that.

Good post, I saw Polk is coaching at Vashon now, does that change the equation at all?

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

As for the posters who piled up on Joe Reece's dad -- you're barking up the wrong tree. He not only talks the talk, the walks the walk. And yeah, Norfolk has race problems. But St. Louis is in it's own category. Those of you who are living in comfortable suburban bubbles really have no idea how bad it is.

Reece’s dad deserves credit for looking out for his son’s interest outside of basketball.  Not enough people do that.  A good student with involved parents can learn at just about any school.  It might not be the ideal situation, but you have to do the best with the resources you have available.  It sounds like Mr. Reece is doing all he can.

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Good post, I saw Polk is coaching at Vashon now, does that change the equation at all?

No. Polk creates his own "situations" every couple years.  Not someone SLU deals with.

On December 19, 2017 at 8:21 AM, kmbilliken said:

The statement you made was not a correct one.

Since you didn't elaborate I can only assume Tatum never considered SLU seriously and never had an official visit to SLU since you didn't come up with a date of said visit.

Thanks.

the above is a jason tatum tweet showing we were indeed in jason's final 4 of school choices.

the below link is tatum talking to channel 4 almost exclusively about maybe playing at SLU

http://www.kmov.com/story/29223294/would-jayson-tatum-dare-stay-home-and-go-to-slu

if you read the 2016 recruiting thread, you will see that people close to tatum were insinuating slu might be the choice "he's going to shock the world"   or "i cant say what his decision will be, but it will be eventful".  etc

but then when the fiba world team is announced and tatum of course is on the roster and the head coach is coach k we were doomed.   imagine, coach k gets to whisper in his ear every single day and no one else does.   coach k gets jason's peers on the team to mock the billikens and push for the dukies.   it was over.   

as to an official visit, i dont know if he did or not.   he was on campus most every day over the summers.   he attending almost every billiken home game.   he had numerous unofficial meetings with the billiken coaches.   at this point, why waste an official visit on a place he is so familiar with when he is limited to how many all expenses paid trips he can go on?    there is no rule that says your final choice has to have been with a school you took an official visit to.   to insinuate that even meant anything in this specific situation is pretty stupid.  

but there is no doubt tatum considered slu till the very end and the billikens program  was his ultimate second choice.  

on one hand it would have been great for tatum to be a billiken, however, if that had happened, how much longer would we have been saddled with crewsplatt.   it was almost worth it to finish second.  

There would be absolutely no reason for Tatum to have taken an "official" visit to SLU. Official visits are mostly so the school can pay your travel and lodging on the visit. 

I would be surprised if Gordon ever took an "official" visit to SLU. 

14 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

There would be absolutely no reason for Tatum to have taken an "official" visit to SLU. Official visits are mostly so the school can pay your travel and lodging on the visit. 

I would be surprised if Gordon ever took an "official" visit to SLU. 

Gordon took his official visit to SLU the weekend of September 22-24.

Tatum's official visit was when Crews drove him through campus on the golf cart and 20 people showed up to cheer him.  (I was one of the 20, along with my unhappy fiance who not knowing Jayson Tatum from Adam knew he wasn't coming to SLU after seeing that display.

Read the second half of this Phil Mushnick, NY Post's article about Martin buying teenagers.   

https://nypost.com/2017/12/02/complacent-media-give-broken-sports-world-a-pass/

'In April, Missouri signed the nation’s No. 1 high school recruit, 6-foot-10 swingman Michael Porter Jr. He was injured in the season’s first game — he’s likely out for the season following back surgery — but he’s still considered NBA-bound, as early as next season.

Why Missouri? Funny you should ask.

The school hired his father as an assistant coach. And unless Porter Sr. is working for free, how can any logical human — or shrub — not conclude Missouri paid off Senior to deliver Junior?

Any college president with an active sense of fundamental right from wrong would have told Missouri coach Cuonzo Martin, “Oh, no you don’t. We don’t buy teenagers.”

You think this would pass muster in Missouri Law School’s ethics classes? Then again, the academician who enabled the North Carolina no-show-classes scandal was fully enabled by a professor of ethics.