OT: Porter out for the year

billiCAN

8 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

We have 2 stud freshman starting in Goodwin and French.

Tilmon and Porter were rated higher.  Quit acting like Martin is in same boat as Ford.  SLU will be better in the long run, Martin hasnt fully developed talent yet.

Edited by teamarete
Not sure why this was a troll post?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, STL Hoops Insider said:

At first it did annoy me a little being called a troll because I legitimately wanted to be accepted here  and was just posting about players I felt were legitimate Billiken level recruits or D1 players of interest. I didn’t think that was trolling. However, now being considered a troll no matter what I post and having a post limit that often spans multiple days, I stopped caring what people think. I post in the game threads as a fan and speak my mind.  Many of you are way too sensitive. We live in St. Louis where people are murdered every day, but you’re up in arms in protest of once in a blue moon Mizzou mention. Life is a lot harder than that.

So, I've defended you before, but you make it hard.  What the hell does "Billiken level recruits" mean?  We've signed two guys in consecutive years that were at or near top 50 level.  A few years ago, we had a one and done guy who was a Top 3 recruit strongly consider us.  If you think that there is such a thing as a "Billiken level recruit" then you are not a fan of this program like the rest of us are and claiming that you are is just pandering to us.  People who are Billiken fans and come to this board to discuss the Billikens and issues surrounding Billiken fandom don't think that any recruit is out of reach.  If you do, and writing and believing that there is such thing as a "Billiken level recruit" tells me that you do, then at least don't claim that you are a Billiken fan.  Just admit that you are a fan of the local basketball scene, that you want local players to have success, that you would prefer that they have that success at a local college, and that you think that the best players from the area should go to Mizzou or elsewhere.  If you did, at least we'd all understand where you are coming from instead of this continuous, strange argument over whether or not you are truly a Billiken fan or a troll.

ACE and billiken_roy like this

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So, I've defended you before, but you make it hard.  What the hell does "Billiken level recruits" mean?  We've signed two guys in consecutive years that were at or near top 50 level.  A few years ago, we had a one and done guy who was a Top 3 recruit strongly consider us.  If you think that there is such a thing as a "Billiken level recruit" then you are not a fan of this program like the rest of us are and claiming that you are is just pandering to us.  People who are Billiken fans and come to this board to discuss the Billikens and issues surrounding Billiken fandom don't think that any recruit is out of reach.  If you do, and writing and believing that there is such thing as a "Billiken level recruit" tells me that you do, then at least don't claim that you are a Billiken fan.  Just admit that you are a fan of the local basketball scene, that you want local players to have success, that you would prefer that they have that success at a local college, and that you think that the best players from the area should go to Mizzou or elsewhere.  If you did, at least we'd all understand where you are coming from instead of this continuous, strange argument over whether or not you are truly a Billiken fan or a troll.

Jayson Tatum NEVER seriously considered SLU.

As a matter of fact I don't think he even had an official visit at SLU.

Just now, Tilkowsky said:

Jayson Tatum NEVER seriously considered SLU.

As a matter of fact I don't think he even had an official visit at SLU.

Oh, Lord.  Compared to you, STL Hoops Insider definitely doesn't seem to be a troll.  You piping in did more than I ever could to help him in that regard.

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

or if Crews wasnt the coach. 

i dont think Crews being the coach was as much a negative as crews refusing to consider justin as an assistant.   add to it that coach k got the chance to be the usa 18u coach that summer and had jason's complete attention every day for like 45 days, it was a killer.   but i agree, we were indeed a finalist.   

had he come here, we would immediately been a conference contender and likely could have gotten close to a bubble team.  think back to our roster for hughes one year.  he didnt have all that much of a supporting cast either and we got to the tourney.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont think Crews being the coach was as much a negative as crews refusing to consider justin as an assistant.   add to it that coach k got the chance to be the usa 18u coach that summer and had jason's complete attention every day for like 45 days, it was a killer.   but i agree, we were indeed a finalist.   

had he come here, we would immediately been a conference contender and likely could have gotten close to a bubble team.  think back to our roster for hughes one year.  he didnt have all that much of a supporting cast either and we got to the tourney.  

Recruiting Jordan Barnes would have helped.  The guy isn't a future All-American, but he is better the than almost everyone Crews landed.

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

+1 Glad you've seen the error of your ways. You hit the nail on the head. He's always viewed SLU recruiting this way - too often pushing the idea of SLU taking second tier recruits. He would then criticize SLU for not offering a lot of these guys who would wind up at D2 or some obscure JUCO. When we do hit the jackpot with a local recruit like Gordon, vtime is then nowhere to be found. He should have been celebrating SLU signing a blue chop local recruit. Instead, he conveniently took a vacation from the board the day Gordon signed and for quite a while after. Now if we had signed Sanjay Watts Jr., he would have been VERY excited. :lol:

I didn’t conveniently disappear, they gave me a post limit, and some time I can’t post for days at a time. I voiced my  pleasure in signing the local recruits Goodwin/Thatch/Gordon. I love the emphasis on area recruiting. I think you could a perennial A10 champion by only recruiting the state of Missouri and St. Louis/Metro East area.  I never said SLU should only re riot what you call 2nd tier players, I just know SLU can be successful in their league without a roster full of high major players.

13 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I didn’t conveniently disappear, they gave me a post limit, and some time I can’t post for days at a time. I voiced my opinion pleasure in the local recruits Goodwin/Thatch/Gordon. I love the emphasis on area recruiting. I think you could a perennial A10 champion by only recruiting the state of Missouri and St. Louis/Metro East area.  I never said SLU should only re riot what you call 2nd tier players, I just know SLU can be successful in their league without a roster full of high major players.

Hey dipspit, when the hole just keeps getting deeper, you need to stop shoveling. Why don't you a go find a fan forum with a higher caliber of membership. We're just not worthy of your  golden pronouncements. Maybe you should stick to Tigerboard.

And yeah, I know the mods have a strangely high tolerance for trolls on here. It's almost like they prefer the riffraff, but I just don't understand what YOU bring to the table.

teamarete likes this

2 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Hey dipspit, when the hole just keeps getting deeper, you need to stop shoveling. Why don't you a go find a fan forum with a higher caliber of membership. We're just not worthy of your  golden pronouncements. Maybe you should stick to Tigerboard.

And yeah, I know the mods have a strangely high tolerance for trolls on here. It's almost like they prefer the riffraff, but I just don't understand what YOU bring to the table.

No disrespect, but I feel I’ve brought more to the table than you ever will. When I ran a recruiting service, I brought useful information and interviews/videos of playersvwhen no one was doing it 10 years ago. Then I moved on to actual college coaching for 6 years, including games against nationally ranked NCAA D1 teams, which allowed me to give a unique coach’s perspective to the board. I brings years of experience in this field. What do you bring?

5 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

No disrespect, but I feel I’ve brought more to the table than you ever will. When I ran a recruiting service, I brought useful information and interviews/videos of playersvwhen no one was doing it 10 years ago. Then I moved on to actual college coaching for 6 years, including games against nationally ranked NCAA D1 teams, which allowed me to give a unique coach’s perspective to the board. I brings years of experience in this field. What do you bring?

Did you find the posts about McKinney 

On 12/12/2017 at 3:04 PM, Coach314 said:

Yeah.  Now.   

Do you know how many games Mckinney and Reece went to last year at Chaifetz?  How many times they were invited to practice?  

Mckinney rebuffed SLU's recruiting almost immediately. To make it seem like Ford dropped the ball is just an outright lie.  There are certain players & coaches in the area who want nothing to do with SLU.  Mckinney falls in this group.  

Liddell for now is still very much in play.  The big offers are just now coming and most likely SLU, Mizzou, and Illinois, for all the time they have spent will not be able to nab him either.

10 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Unique?  Nonsense.

ACE likes this

15 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I didn’t conveniently disappear, they gave me a post limit, and some time I can’t post for days at a time. I voiced my  pleasure in signing the local recruits Goodwin/Thatch/Gordon. I love the emphasis on area recruiting. I think you could a perennial A10 champion by only recruiting the state of Missouri and St. Louis/Metro East area.  I never said SLU should only re riot what you call 2nd tier players, I just know SLU can be successful in their league without a roster full of high major players.

:lol: The archives on this board make it quick and easy to prove your nonsense to be a lie. You disappeared for quite a while right before Gordon signed. You only came back to lament Mizzou's loss of Porter Jr., but still had no comment about Gordon. And you never commented on the Goodwin and Thatch commitments. While Mizzou was in the crapper, during Ford's first season, you only made a handful of posts on the board. Since Martin went to Mizzou about 8 months ago, you have made 25 PAGES of posts and counting! This is just one of many reasons why you have no credibility on the board.

Sure I have, both were committed almost a year before signing. You leave out l me posting about Pearson while everyone else was considering him a plan B or C to Rhoden.  Many had reservations about Pearson.  I also wasn’t one of the ones voicing concerns about Gordon flip flopping.  And I posted several times about wanting SLU to land Reece. I’m excited to see what can happen in 2019, but I’m not sure how the situation will affect recruiting, if at all. Locally you have the big 3 of McKinney, Hargrove, and Liddell. Regionally you have Hall, Mosley, Wilson. I know some on this board big fans of Collins.

1 minute ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Sure I have, both were committed almost a year before signing. You leave out l me posting about Pearson while everyone else was considering him a plan B or C to Rhoden.  Many had reservations about Pearson.  I also wasn’t one of the ones voicing concerns about Gordon flip flopping.  And I posted several times about wanting SLU to land Reece. I’m excited to see what can happen in 2019, but I’m not sure how the situation will affect recruiting, if at all. Locally you have the big 3 of McKinney, Hargrove, and Liddell. Regionally you have Hall, Mosley, Wilson. I know some on this board big fans of Collins.

i watched reece this past week and he is definitely not worthy of the billikens.   old dominion apparently has never seen him play.  i think he would be a good first sub off the bench for umsl

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i watched reece this past week and he is definitely not worthy of the billikens.   old dominion apparently has never seen him play.  i think he would be a good first sub off the bench for umsl

Nice! He's the next Frank Cussamano!!

11 hours ago, thetorch said:

Do you know how many games Mckinney and Reece went to last year at Chaifetz?  How many times they were invited to practice?  

Mckinney rebuffed SLU's recruiting almost immediately. To make it seem like Ford dropped the ball is just an outright lie.  There are certain players & coaches in the area who want nothing to do with SLU.  Mckinney falls in this group.  

Liddell for now is still very much in play.  The big offers are just now coming and most likely SLU, Mizzou, and Illinois, for all the time they have spent will not be able to nab him either.

Interesting take.  Tate has a good relationship with coaches down at Vashon.  Ford and Tate would visit Mario McKinney during open gyms last fall.  Mario had 0 offers at the time.  There was an opportunity to build a relationship with him.  The Coaching staff liked him but didn't want to offer.  They wanted to wait and evaluate more.  2nd game of the season last year Mario has a big game against Nationally ranked Wheeler Academy.  SLU gives him an offer after other high majors start offering.  Other schools began to make McKinney a priority in the class of 2019.  Not SLU.  Which is fine.  Perhaps they have other kids targeted.  But if he was high on their list of recruits they had an opportunity to offer 1st.

And as to your questions...No, I don't know how many games/practices McKinney/Reece were invited to.  I know that Reece's dad wanted him to attend school out of state.  I know SLU and a couple other schools had cooled on Reece anyway.  I know I was there during those open gyms.   I know I was there in Atlanta at the game against Wheeler.  I know the conversations I have had with Mario McKinney Sr before lil Mario received his 1st offer,  during last season and the ones we still have to this day.  

So I guess we will agree to disagree. 

What? He would play right now! We don’t have any players!!!!  He would not be an immediate impact player no, I agree with that. But he is an excellent offensive rebounder and can shoot from the perimeter and challenge shots.  He’s a kid that will look better surrounded by other talented players and filling a role. He can be an excellent stretch 4. Not the shooter Jalen Johnson is but more athletic.

6:20-6:45 mark, tell me this is not the type of athlete we need in the program.