GDT: SLU vs Rockhurst

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Goodwin doesn't concern me.  His positives outweigh the o-fer.  It will come.  He is the first true point guard, even though he';s a rookie, we've had since Jett.  He can take it to the hole and dish.

When a player is struggling to score, a guy who can pass is your best friend. Bishop will make Goodwin's life a lot easier.

moytoy12 likes this

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm still surprised Rashed Anthony isn't more of a factor.

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Seton Hall signed him after the spring signing period in June due to a late transfer opening up a scholarship. Anthony was available that late because the schools which had shown interest decided to pass. Then he rode the pine at Seton Hall for 4 years.  He's just a guy.

William Iken likes this

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Seton Hall signed him after the spring signing period in June due to a late transfer opening up a scholarship. Anthony was available that late because the schools which had shown interest decided to pass. Then he rode the pine at Seton Hall for 4 years.  He's just a guy.

:(

Does anyone know what Travis was so po'd at Foreman for in the second half?  Travis screamed out "when are you going to foucking finish something?" and was about to yank Foreman when Goodwin intervened and Travis backed off.

Travis is really demonstrative during games.  More so than anyone we've had since Sodeburgh.....

7 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Does anyone know what Travis was so po'd at Foreman for in the second half?  Travis screamed out "when are you going to foucking finish something?" and was about to yank Foreman when Goodwin intervened and Travis backed off.

Travis is really demonstrative during games.  More so than anyone we've had since Sodeburgh.....

jesus. was that before he scored?

The game I saw tonight could have been played by two different teams. In the first half we were tentative, shot lots of 3 pointers that did not go in and allowed Rockhurst to set the tempo and the play mode. Ours was not a very good team playing against Rockhurst  in the first half and if we had played the second half like we played the first Rockhurst could very well have beaten us. The second half was a lot more physical with a lot more action close to the basket, we dominated the second half tempo and play although the play was not pretty. Goodwin is incredibly selfless and distributes the ball freely he may well be learning to lead the team, his shot will come.

After seeing tonight's game I think we can win against Virginia Tech if they play the whole game like they played in the second half against Rockhurst. They need to be physical all the time against them. I was glad to see Foreman breaking through and getting to play better and with more confidence. I was glad to see Psimitris come in and drill a 3 pointer in the 2 minutes he played. I also was very glad to see French becoming more of the French I hoped he would be. I wish Anthony would do something when he was in, a rebound or an assist would do just fine but I just do not see him doing much. I think the guy we really need to have right now is Welmer, wonder when Ford will let him play. As far as the last 3 players go they were not present tonight either. For the time being at least, I think the team must learn to play with the 8 guys we have with the possible addition of Psimitris here and there and Welmer when he is ready. I do believe we can do fine against teams that rely on offensive and have little defensive capacity. This may not be the case when we face teams that are primarily defense minded. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

He looks a lot better in practice.  Can shoot and finish around the hoop better than Foreman.  Foreman looks way more comfortable away from the basket and is a better rebounder and defender.  If French wasn't so good defensively I think we'd be seeing more of Anthony.

He's no where near the player that Bishop is though.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Goodwin doesn't concern me. 

Since Ford has compared Goodwin to Marcus Smart (another guy who learned to run the point on the fly), I thought it would be interesting to compare their first two collegiate games. Its kind of crazy how similar the stats are through two games. The only real difference is shooting percentage (and Smart's was also nothing to ride home about). This reaffirms the belief there is nothing to worry about with Goodwin. Even a guy who won Big 12 Player of the Year had a learning curve when it came to finding offense for himself and for his teammates. Thus far, Goodwin's floor game has been impressive. He makes everybody around him better. He has also shown great maturity not letting his frustration impact the rest of his game. He's due for a big game or two in New York!

Game 1     Min     Pts   FGM    FGA    3PM  3PA  FTA   FTM    Reb   Ast   TO  Stl  Blk
Smart 34 8 1 6 0 2 6 7 7 7 1 2 1
Goodwin 34 6 0 12 0 4 6 10 10 4 3 4 2

Game 2                          
Smart 32 14 3 11 0 2 8 8 9 3 5 4 1
Goodwin 33 8 1 6 0 2 6 8 6 8 2 4 2

Averages MPG   PPG    FG%  3PT%    FT%  RPG  APG   TO/G   SPG   BPG
Smart 33 11 0.235 0 0.933 8 5 3 3 1
Goodwin 33.5 7 0.056 0 0.667 8 6 2.5 4 2

#FreeAdonys #FreeBishop

Zink and wgstl like this

22 minutes ago, thetorch said:

He looks a lot better in practice.  Can shoot and finish around the hoop better than Foreman.  Foreman looks way more comfortable away from the basket and is a better rebounder and defender.  If French wasn't so good defensively I think we'd be seeing more of Anthony.

He's no where near the player that Bishop is though.

So, judging by what you saw in practice there is some hope for Anthony being able to contribute in a positive fashion to the team.

Coach Ford was REALLY high on VT, during his post game comments tonight.  He said they are the fastest team he has ever seen.  If I heard him correctly he said they scored 100 points in one game and 130 points in their other game, kind of a Loyola Marymount like offense.

Va Tech defeated Detroit 111-79 and The Citadel 132-93. Those are impressive numbers but against less than impressive programs. What stands out to me is the exhibition game they played as a hurricane relief fund raiser where they defeated South Carolina 86-67 on the road. Now, that's an impressive win.

5 hours ago, bauman said:

Coach Ford was REALLY high on VT, during his post game comments tonight.  He said they are the fastest team he has ever seen.  If I heard him correctly he said they scored 100 points in one game and 130 points in their other game, kind of a Loyola Marymount like offense.

Yes, we have to out rebound and slow down VT somehow if we are going to do do well next Saturday. They have a very high number of assists and rebounds in a game. They just buried Detroit and Citadel, both of which appear to be mediocre to bad teams. I think we have a chance even without Bishop or Henriquez.

15 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Yes, we have to out rebound and slow down VT somehow if we are going to do do well next Saturday. They have a very high number of assists and rebounds in a game. They just buried Detroit and Citadel, both of which appear to be mediocre to bad teams. I think we have a chance even without Bishop or Henriquez.

VT game is this Thursday, right?

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

He rode the pine behind arguably the best front line in the Big East.

My rule of thumb is that grad transfers don't choose a destination where they'll sit. This is almost always true. I figured there was a mutual realization that he'd have a legit role here.

I didn't think he was going to be a 30-minute guy, I didn't think he was going to be a 10-and-10 guy; I thought he would have more of an even minute split with French and Foreman, but so far, French has proven himself to be by far the best of the bunch, Foreman has been serviceable, and Anthony is easily 8th of 8 of our current scholarship players.

Some kids are realistic about the role of sports in their life.  I think Anthony is the rare case if a kid using basketball to get an education rather than getting an education so he can play basketball.  He wasn't going to play at all at Seton Hall this year.  Giving our frontcourt breather minutes is just a return to the role he's accustomed.  And he gets to take grad school classes.