Home - Home with Butler

ACE

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, slusam said:

SLU beat Butler 3 times during the2012-2013 season. They were a better team then and it didn't help us get into the Big East.

home, away, and neutral site... the ultimate ass whooping

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Could this lead to a potential bid for the big east? Maybe the big east's way of seeing how we do against one of their better teams

Actually, it's probably a sign of the opposite...there is no BE any time soon. I've heard from various people over the years that teams in the BE were told not to schedule SLU, Dayton, etc. for some time on the idea that they were potential invites and that could screw up scheduling a bit if they had non-cons scheduled (Xavier and Butler had that happen when Butler joined the A10 I believe). This probably means the BE has made it clear there is no expansion any time soon, which is fine given where the program currently stands.

I think you guys are thinking way into this series.  Just two schools in the midwest with recent history and success, in a short drive, wanting a home and home. If this was against a Seton Hall I doubt anyone brings up BE news.

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think you guys are thinking way into this series.  Just two schools in the midwest with recent history and success, in a short drive, wanting a home and home. If this was against a Seton Hall I doubt anyone brings up BE news.

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

The ability for SLU to get into the BE will rest on things much bigger than the results of a game or two against a current BE team.  

Are you sure the BigE Commissioner didn't direct a conference team to give us a play in game?  What happened to the results of that Wichita St to.A10 play in game?

48 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

Awesome news! Travelling with the student bus for the game at Hinkle and winning that close game was one of my best experiences as a student

completely different student section then whats there now

Great news if the game falls on a weekend I would like to travel to that game, I miss playing Butler.

I like the way it is schedule playing on the Butler home court first then Butler coming to St. Louis to face additions of Mr. Thatch and Gordon and another 4 star recruit to go along with a team with a year of playing time together.

One way to prove SLU belongs in the Big East is to schedule as many Big East teams in the non conference schedule and beat them.

Butler will have 7 new players next year, five incoming freshmen, one transfer and one RS freshman.  Martin and Wideman will be their senior starters.  Martin is either lights on or lights off.  He has amazing range and can either carry the Bulldogs or sink them if he is off.  Wideman is a wide man, similar in stature and game to Foreman. Paul Jorgeson a transfer from GW likely starting at PG.  Baldwin had an exciting freshman year as a starter.  6'10" Fowler will perhaps start at center.  He has extended range (10 of 21 from 3 in limited duty), so he could be a matchup problem for us.

With this news we really have a good idea what most of the schedule will look like.  18 conference games, the two tournaments, SIU and @Butler.  That is 28 of the 31 games.  At most 17 regular seasons home games. 

My guess is we get one of the remaining 3 games as the beginning of a home/home here and the other two are buy games.  I hope that they find some bigger name willing to start a home and home here.  It isn't going to be the most attractive home schedule this season otherwise.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

With this news we really have a good idea what most of the schedule will look like.  18 conference games, the two tournaments, SIU and @Butler.  That is 28 of the 31 games.  At most 17 regular seasons home games. 

My guess is we get one of the remaining 3 games as the beginning of a home/home here and the other two are buy games.  I hope that they find some bigger name willing to start a home and home here.  It isn't going to be the most attractive home schedule this season otherwise.

What are the two tournaments? We all know about the 2K classic which will have 4 games, but what am I forgetting?

i only count 24 of 31 games when including siu and butler.

58 minutes ago, kshoe said:

What are the two tournaments? We all know about the 2K classic which will have 4 games, but what am I forgetting?

i only count 24 of 31 games when including siu and butler.

According to an email sent out by associate athletic director Frank Alloco at USF we are also playing in the Las Vegas Classic with Nevada, USF, and SIU.  

http://donscentral.com/thread/1198/allocco-email-next-years-schedule

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

According to an email sent out by associate athletic director Frank Alloco at USF we are also playing in the Las Vegas Classic with Nevada, USF, and SIU.  

http://donscentral.com/thread/1198/allocco-email-next-years-schedule

I didn't think you could do two tournaments or if you could you wouldn't want to because there isn't much money to be made from playing the second tourney. The primary reason the tourneys exist is that they only count as one game in a schedule that would otherwise only be 28 games. Not sure why you'd want to throw away the flexibility of 4 games of your choice for two buy games at home and two games against mediocre opponents in Vegas.

I'm thinking the AD's e-mail was mistaken about our involvement.

10 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I didn't think you could do two tournaments or if you could you wouldn't want to because there isn't much money to be made from playing the second tourney. The primary reason the tourneys exist is that they only count as one game in a schedule that would otherwise only be 28 games. Not sure why you'd want to throw away the flexibility of 4 games of your choice for two buy games at home and two games against mediocre opponents in Vegas.

I'm thinking the AD's e-mail was mistaken about our involvement.

They changed the rules on tournaments a few years back.  You can play in two, but the second fully counts against the maximum number of games.  Nevada played in two last season.  

You schedule two if you are having trouble scheduling top 100 opponents and you think you have a chance to be a tournament team. Nevada had an RPI of 29 and USF was at 94.  You schedule two if you already had one scheduled and something like a spot in the 2K Classic opens up. Or, the guy at USF doesn't know what he is talking about. Not sure what the case is here.