New Transfer Option

Ibruce

14 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I wondered the same, but I just looked up to see how many years Keith Carter got to play at Valpo after transferring from SLU halfway through his freshman year and it was just 2.5 years.  He actually appealed hoping for another year of eligibility, but was denied. 

I also looked up Carter. Unless the rule is intended to discourage transfers during the season, it makes no sense why that is the case.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I also looked up Carter. Unless the rule is intended to discourage transfers during the season, it makes no sense why that is the case.

I am pretty certain that is the case for basketball, if you play in a season it counts as a full season unless the NCAA grants you a waiver. So this fall would count as his first year and the 2nd semester of next season would count as his second year and he would have two full seasons after that.

40 minutes ago, slusam said:

If Graves played a full year at BC and then transferred he would have three years left. If he leaves after a semester he only has 2.5 years left. That doesn't make any sense. If this is true why would anyone transfer at the semester break.

He still has three years of eligibility left. He could sit out this coming semester, then all of next year, then begin in 2018-19 season with three years of eligibility left. However, since he will likely play second semester next year, that uses his second year of eligibility, meaning he would only have two left. 

10 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

He still has three years of eligibility left. He could sit out this coming semester, then all of next year, then begin in 2018-19 season with three years of eligibility left. However, since he will likely play second semester next year, that uses his second year of eligibility, meaning he would only have two left. 

This. If you play at all in a given year it counts as a full season. You can't split it up and say that I only played half the year so it only counts against half of my eligibility.

Seriously I really appreciate everyone saying yes to this guy. Also I am very ticked off that I got for proposing to take a 4* from MU, a team with over 7 4* players because they were Marquette's scraps and aparently MU is nothing but average. Let me tell ya something, if Marquette was in the A10, they would win every year, The big east recruits at a significantly higher level than the A10, but hopefully soon SLU will be Elite among a few competitive teams for the title, VCU, Dayton and RI. We are very bad this year and a complete turnaround can happen, but we cant be so picky. This transfer would be a great option. 

On 12/18/2016 at 3:53 PM, goonaha said:

Ford and staff is at the City of Palms Classic in Ft. Myers. Watching Jordan Walker.

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

This. If you play at all in a given year it counts as a full season. You can't split it up and say that I only played half the year so it only counts against half of my eligibility.

Yeah, that reminds one of Cody Ellis and his situation.

This Graves kid has good offensive skills...the big questions are his D and his staying power ... 

1 hour ago, Zink said:

I'd say he takes some off-balance jumpers, but his form on those is still great. Looks more like a shot-choice thing than poor form. His shoulders are always square and his hips rotate through; his hands and arms are consistently doing the same thing even if his feet aren't. At least in this video I don't see any red flags.

He made 12 of 33 3 point attempts at BC, so that is pretty solid for a freshman point guard. He struggled from other areas of the court though, 19 for 50 from the field. Had games of 15 (4-7 from 3) and 13 (3-3 from 3), so some solid games early in his career. Sometimes I get concerned watching kids who seem to fade away or drift on a lot of their shots (watching the video again you are right that he was forced into those shots as opposed to being set jumpers which I did not see one set shot), but you are right that he has solid form on the upper half which is much tougher to correct. Nice looking player.

3 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Seriously I really appreciate everyone saying yes to this guy. Also I am very ticked off that I got for proposing to take a 4* from MU, a team with over 7 4* players because they were Marquette's scraps and aparently MU is nothing but average. Let me tell ya something, if Marquette was in the A10, they would win every year, The big east recruits at a significantly higher level than the A10, but hopefully soon SLU will be Elite among a few competitive teams for the title, VCU, Dayton and RI. We are very bad this year and a complete turnaround can happen, but we cant be so picky. This transfer would be a great option. 

Marquette has finished 68, 93 and 97th in Pomeroy the past 3 years. No f'ing way they win the A-10 or even come close any of those three years. God I hate Marquette fans...

Just now, kshoe said:

Marquette has finished 68, 93 and 97th in Pomeroy the past 3 years. No f'ing way they win the A-10 or even come close any of those three years. God I hate Marquette fans...

Ok since I guess you don't follow college basketball too much, MU just got a new coach, Wojo from Duke, who had to play with 7 scholarship players after Buzz left and was gifted with geting Luke Fischer to transfer in. Let me show you their current roster at the beginning of the year and tell me how it stacks up to the A 10. 

(Ok rankings based on verbal commits overall rankings per player, just to keep it steady across the board)

Juan Johnson 4* (27 Overall, 4 position) Katin Reinhart 4* ( 37 overall, 7 position) Luke Fischer 4* (64 overall, 9 position) Duane Wilson 4* (overall 55, 12 pos)

Hanif Cheatam 4* (75 overall, 25 pos) Matt Heldt 3.7* (111 overall 27 pos) Markus Howard 4* (29 overall, pos 7) Sam Hauser 3.7* (100 overall, 18 pos)

They lost Henry Ellison 5* to early pro and Sandy Cohen and Traci Carter both 4* this year. Please explain how we don't want this kind of roster again? Also please tell me how this would stack against the A10? I am a huge SLU fan, grew up watching MU, but you can't ignore the parallels between the two programs, especially right now (new coach coming in to turn the program around, similar cities and recruiting areas) 

Maybe I'm coming off as a jerk for being realistic, but the truth is, we are turning around quick, but we aren't going to be the 2013-2014 team right away. We need a fresh roster, people that fit Ford's style. Jalen Johnson as an upperclassmen will be a stud, and this is still Welmer's freshmen season but other than that there is plenty of room on the roster for change. Transfers help turn around teams. 

9 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Ok since I guess you don't follow college basketball too much, MU just got a new coach, Wojo from Duke, who had to play with 7 scholarship players after Buzz left and was gifted with geting Luke Fischer to transfer in. Let me show you their current roster at the beginning of the year and tell me how it stacks up to the A 10. 

(Ok rankings based on verbal commits overall rankings per player, just to keep it steady across the board)

Juan Johnson 4* (27 Overall, 4 position) Katin Reinhart 4* ( 37 overall, 7 position) Luke Fischer 4* (64 overall, 9 position) Duane Wilson 4* (overall 55, 12 pos)

Hanif Cheatam 4* (75 overall, 25 pos) Matt Heldt 3.7* (111 overall 27 pos) Markus Howard 4* (29 overall, pos 7) Sam Hauser 3.7* (100 overall, 18 pos)

They lost Henry Ellison 5* to early pro and Sandy Cohen and Traci Carter both 4* this year. Please explain how we don't want this kind of roster again? Also please tell me how this would stack against the A10? I am a huge SLU fan, grew up watching MU, but you can't ignore the parallels between the two programs, especially right now (new coach coming in to turn the program around, similar cities and recruiting areas) 

Maybe I'm coming off as a jerk for being realistic, but the truth is, we are turning around quick, but we aren't going to be the 2013-2014 team right away. We need a fresh roster, people that fit Ford's style. Jalen Johnson as an upperclassmen will be a stud, and this is still Welmer's freshmen season but other than that there is plenty of room on the roster for change. Transfers help turn around teams. 

thank god you've finally been able to prove yourself and tell us off. Yes Marquette is indeed superior than the A10. 

"We would have won the A10 every year,... except 2016, and 2015, and 2014... and so on...

P.S. I wish SLU would have gotten the draw Marquette got in 2013... That Bills team doesn't lose to Syracuse. Or Michigan for that matter....

23 minutes ago, kshoe said:

So I ran Marquette;s numbers for the last 3 years and then I put Marq in the A-10 and you are correct ...no way they win  the A-10...I come up with three 7th place finishes. 

15 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I don't care what he did at BC, that highlight video, along with his high school background, are at a high level.  Some of his moves are really unorthodox, and maybe a little too raw.  It might be why he wanted to leave BC, the coaching may not have sit well with him.  It is a huge addition.  PG  and backup PG are the biggest question marks next year. 

Why would anybody leave once the second semester started?  That makes no sense - do I think someone may leave in the spring - sure but not now.  As far as Bishop goes, he can still play plenty next year.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1
Fix technical issue. (Try viewing source to delete unwanted text/code.)

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why would anybody leave once the second semester started?  That makes no sense - do I think someone may leave in the spring - sure but not now.  As far as Bishop goes, he can still play plenty next year.

I meant intent to transfer before spring like a lot of players have done already, just not on our team