Goodwin

WVBilliken

13 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-if Goodwin can play with a brace and the brace provides good support this could be a very nice development

-if I am Goodwin I am not ending my high school career to have surgery unless I have in my mind that I can make the league

Doesn't Jordan have in his mind that he can make it to the Association?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

Big Bill Fan, the recovery time for a Bankhart procedure is calculated for normal shoulder usage. This kid will subject his shoulder to a lot more stress than that while playing. In other words the longer the recovery and the more gradual the re strengthening the better the results will be. On the good side he is young, healthy, and very strong, he should heal reasonably fast. One point that you may or may not be aware of: the two most physically demanding occupations, in broad classification terms, are #1 professional athletes, and #2 professional dancers. Yes, there are variations between sports and the like, but as a pre professional and very competitive athlete in the running for his state's Mr. Basketball designation, you know Goodwin puts a LOT of stress on all of his joints during play, much more stress than anyone else in this board is likely to do. 

All true, but he will be receiving the best rehab available. Being ready for the start of the season should be no problem if he has the surgery right after his current season. 

Again, as a guy who lived through this, do not discount Old Guy here at all.  It comes down to decision points and choices .....

Can I win a state title and be Mr. Illinois basketball?  If the answer is yes or even maybe, a kid goes for it. He is young, indestructible, and will live forever.  After that, we'll worry about what's next when it's next.  A brace might work temporarily but I would all but guarantee surgery will occur long before he sees the floor as a Billiken.  

From da' couch in Maryland, even I can see we have a chronic issue here that means  the knife from where I sit.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don't know, either, but I'm 99.9% sure that the young man thinks he can get to the NBA.  What do you think?

-I don't know, he might want to be a doctor, I've not seen him interviewed to talk about the distant future or heard his people say what he wants other than to go to SLU whereas some kids (see the UK lineup) tell everyone up front they are one and done, he is not one and done but beyond that we'll see, I don't think a big deal Thicks

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

The scoreboard made it look like he scored the first 9 of the game to break it but I'm not 100%

According to this article, yep first 9 points for the Crusaders to break it.  Also, sounds like the entire SLU coaching staff was in attendance. 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/goodwin-sets-althoff-scoring-record-in-final-game-before-shoulder/article_fbc89820-e2b7-11e6-b60f-278a76a716b0.html

36 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

According to this article, yep first 9 points for the Crusaders to break it.  Also, sounds like the entire SLU coaching staff was in attendance. 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/goodwin-sets-althoff-scoring-record-in-final-game-before-shoulder/article_fbc89820-e2b7-11e6-b60f-278a76a716b0.html

Hard not to get excited just reading that article. He is going to be an absolute great Billiken.

Even if he has a 4 month recovery, he should be good to go by the time he steps on campus. I am pretty happy with the decision to have surgery. They can ease him in slowly and still let him have the second half of the summer to really work at it. 

He needs to work on his jump shot and needs to make better decisions with the ball if he's going to be a primary ball handler but I still think he'll be one of the top players in the A10 in a short period of time. 

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Hard not to get excited just reading that article. He is going to be an absolute great Billiken.

This. I'm more excited to have this kid in SLU blue than any recruit since Hughes.

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

Even if he has a 4 month recovery, he should be good to go by the time he steps on campus. I am pretty happy with the decision to have surgery. They can ease him in slowly and still let him have the second half of the summer to really work at it. 

He needs to work on his jump shot and needs to make better decisions with the ball if he's going to be a primary ball handler but I still think he'll be one of the top players in the A10 in a short period of time. 

The article just addresses the fact that he didn't want to risk a more severe injury, which would have longer term effects. But there had to be some consideration of a timeline. If he played the rest of the season and they went on a run, well now he's cutting further into the time in which he can prepare for his freshman season at SLU.

Is 4 months the estimated recovery time? If so, then this is right on the money. He'll be able to start working out and scrimmaging right after he graduates.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The article just addresses the fact that he didn't want to risk a more severe injury, which would have longer term effects. But there had to be some consideration of a timeline. If he played the rest of the season and they went on a run, well now he's cutting further into the time in which he can prepare for his freshman season at SLU.

Is 4 months the estimated recovery time? If so, then this is right on the money. He'll be able to start working out and scrimmaging right after he graduates.

4 months should be the maximum recovery time. It could be less depending on the severity of his injury. Of course, this assumes no complications.

Everybody's recovery time as required to gain full strength and stability of the joint varies, according to his level of health (excellent), his strength (excellent), and the uses he intend to put his shoulder to. The last one is the rub, this man needs a super shoulder after surgery in order to do what he intends to do. He should not speed up the time of training too much and should start the training gradually. Taking things easy, particularly the recovery and the subsequent rehab and training, is the best thing to do in this case. Many athletic people take rehab as an Olympic contest, they try to do more than asked to do and many of these wind up screwing up the process, easy does it. He has the time he needs for a full recovery if he does not try to push his way through recovery as he pushes his way to the hoop during games. It takes time.