Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm curious why we would make fun of the ONLY member of the media that is an admitted Billiken fan that shares somewhat inside information for us?

Because Frank is awesomely Pro-Billikens and I feel like he can withstand a good-nature jab or two. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Because Frank is awesomely Pro-Billikens and I feel like he can withstand a good-nature jab or two. 

Frank is pro- everything local, including Mizzou and Illinois. Sometimes I think he is fed mis-information from SPUMAC sources such as SLU having a chance at Tillmon or Watson (to keep the scent off of their tampering), but I gotta give him credit regarding Goodwin and Gordon - he was one of the first to report that SLU had a good shot.

btw, ej was incredible over the weekend winning the illinois state championship.   first time i can remember a downstate school winning the state championship for a 4A (largest schools in illinois) since they went to 4 class system.   laphonso ellis and east st louis lincoln won in the 80's but it was still 2 class system then.   ej set state records for most blocked shots in a game and total for a final four.    he also passed joe wiley for most points for one season for belleville west and passed milton wiley for most points in a career at belleville west.   

rumors are flying around hargrove from eastside looking to move to belleville.   their team would be even better next year.  

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Can you imagine if we fielded a team with Goodwin, Gordon, and Liddell all starting? The hometown squad would be leading us straight to the final four! Also imagine the impact that would have on the regional fanbase...

NCAA team, maybe even Sweet 16, but there are a bunch of teams like Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and the like that are full of 5 and 4 stars.  But possibly the best SLU team in my decades as a fan, yes.  If Ford can pull another "rabbit out of his hat" this spring signing period we may not have to wait for EJ.  A top notch point guard who can hit the 3, and a swing guy who can do the same, would take this squad over the top.  

A side note, have seen some sites list Demarius Jacobs as a PG.  I believe the group of him, Goodwin and Thatch could be adequate manning the PG position.  But one slick ball handing true PG would seal the deal for the Bills at that position.

I've never seen Hargrove play, but I've heard him interviewed. He's admitted it's been a dream of his to play at Kansas, however we all know how hard it is to get an offer from there. He has said that he liked SLU when he visited and could see himself playing for the Billikens. That's not to say we are the favorites though. That was just one interview from last year.

10 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Anyone ever see Hargrove play? Is he someone that would fit in at SLU? I believe it was reported here, that while he's at ESL, his academics are quite good.

hargrove is a star.  shoots pretty good, big hops, willing to rebound and defend.   my only beef is that he is at east st louis and i think the politics and dumbed down academics hurts any player coming out of there.   if was to get out of there even for one year his prospects really soar imo.   the rumor is that mom is looking for a place to live in belleville so he can get out of the estl academics.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

hargrove is a star.  shoots pretty good, big hops, willing to rebound and defend.   my only beef is that he is at east st louis and i think the politics and dumbed down academics hurts any player coming out of there.   if was to get out of there even for one year his prospects really soar imo.   the rumor is that mom is looking for a place to live in belleville so he can get out of the estl academics.  

Thanks,

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm okay with a whole roster of 3 stars that are willing to defend and rebound.  Thought it before, but now K-State and Loyola Chicago have driven that point home.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Chris Mack continues to bombard the 2019 class with offers. McKinney was being recruited by Xavier, as were a lot of the other kids he's offered so far.

I haven't paid as much attention as I probably should have, but is Louisville in trouble of receiving any post season ban or any other punishments that may affect recruiting? Was Pitino being shipped off the only fall out from that mess going forward?

almaman likes this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I haven't paid as much attention as I probably should have, but is Louisville in trouble of receiving any post season ban or any other punishments that may affect recruiting? Was Pitino being shipped off the only fall out from that mess going forward?

Yes. It won’t happen but some have even suggested the death penalty. 

Both Pitino and the AD were fired. Pitino is suing the school. That's going to be a mess for a while. I kinda figure that he already survived multiple (fairly big) scandals, so it's time to go quietly. But there are millions of buyout dollars at stake, so I guess it's worth it to him.

As for what lies ahead for Louisville, no one knows yet. There's the FBI probe, and it's unclear what punishments will come from that, if any. The NCAA already upheld its punishment for the prostitution scandal, which means it had to vacate 123 wins over four seasons, including the 2013 national title. They also had to return $600,000 in revenue and a former assistant got a show-cause penalty. The school had already self-imposed a postseason ban, scholarship reduction, and recruiting restrictions on itself to lessen the eventual NCAA punishment. So it appears all of that is in the past now, and that the only potential sanctions could come from the fallout of the FBI investigation.

Mack said that after talking with the school, he was comfortable that any outcome would not be severe enough to hinder his progress with the program.

Boy, I guess Mack really wanted out for whatever the reason.  The more you read on his move you really have to begin to wonder.  He got more money but not that much more - I guess 5.6 million over 7 years is nothing to sneeze at.  He is going to a bit of a messy situation and he is leaving X which seems pretty stable.  

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Both Pitino and the AD were fired. Pitino is suing the school. That's going to be a mess for a while. I kinda figure that he already survived multiple (fairly big) scandals, so it's time to go quietly. But there are millions of buyout dollars at stake, so I guess it's worth it to him.

As for what lies ahead for Louisville, no one knows yet. There's the FBI probe, and it's unclear what punishments will come from that, if any. The NCAA already upheld its punishment for the prostitution scandal, which means it had to vacate 123 wins over four seasons, including the 2013 national title. They also had to return $600,000 in revenue and a former assistant got a show-cause penalty. The school had already self-imposed a postseason ban, scholarship reduction, and recruiting restrictions on itself to lessen the eventual NCAA punishment. So it appears all of that is in the past now, and that the only potential sanctions could come from the fallout of the FBI investigation.

Mack said that after talking with the school, he was comfortable that any outcome would not be severe enough to hinder his progress with the program.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Boy, I guess Mack really wanted out for whatever the reason.  The more you read on his move you really have to begin to wonder.  He got more money but not that much more - I guess 5.6 million over 7 years is nothing to sneeze at.  He is going to a bit of a messy situation and he is leaving X which seems pretty stable.  

You obviously arent taking the shoe company kickback into consideration.