Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

18 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I do wonder where Ford was last night.  I am sure he was recruiting somebody and since we still have a few more open scholarships for next year, could he be out recruiting a 2018 kid?  Are there games going on for JUCO where he could be as well?  This could be part of the downside of situation 2 with respect to recruiting if that took him away from seeing Liddell.  

i would accept that.   

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Ford is in Lexington, recruiting. The Sweet 16 starts at Rupp Arena today, so he's watching Pearson and maybe some other guys.

Possible that Ford is in on Jayden Scrubb?  6-3 2018 combo guard who is uncommitted. He plays for Trinity, who is still alive in the Playoffs

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Possible that Ford is in on Jayden Scrubb?  6-3 2018 combo guard who is uncommitted. He plays for Trinity, who is still alive in the Playoffs

I guess it's possible. It'd be a new name to me. Edit: Added his name to a blurb in the 2018 thread.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I am intrigued why Ford is in Kentucky. Is the kid who lost 40 pounds still playing? 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Pretty sure that Detorrion Ware’s team is not still playing. I could be wrong. 

Detorrion Ware's Christian County team lost in the regional finals, so they're not in Lexington now.

These are all 2018 names, though. The 2019 names that could be in play are:

Kyky Tandy, the University Heights player whose team beat Ware's team to get into the Sweet 16, also being looked at by UK and has some nice offers: Oklahoma, Florida, Cincinnati, Tennessee, WKU.

David Johnson, a top-150 player from Trinity who decommitted from Louisville and has offers from Ohio State and Xavier. UK is also tracking.

Michael Moreno, forward from Scott County with offers from Iowa, Bradley, and EKU. Ohio State, Tennessee, and WKU are tracking him.

There's also Justin Powell, a sophomore at Trinity.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Ford is in Lexington, recruiting. The Sweet 16 starts at Rupp Arena today, so he's watching Pearson and maybe some other guys.

Isn't the Ware kid also playing in the KY tourney, or did his team get eliminated?

They mentioned that Yuri might sign with SLU on Frank Cusamano show today,   I asked someone who knows him well and he said Yuri was going to wait til after summer for sure.   It makes sense because other scouts looking and let's all be honest after last year he might just want to see the program is stable before committing.    I meant lucky to get him bc he is exactly what that team is lacking.  Imagine a 5 of Collins, Goodwin, thatch, Gordon, and French.  Not to mention these other recruits that look great and can be interchangeable in that 5!

Zink, RiseAndGrind and TheOne like this

5 minutes ago, spooncool said:

They mentioned that Yuri might sign with SLU on Frank Cusamano show today,   I asked someone who knows him well and he said Yuri was going to wait til after summer for sure.   It makes sense because other scouts looking and let's all be honest after last year he might just want to see the program is stable before committing.    I meant lucky to get him bc he is exactly what that team is lacking.  Imagine a 5 of Collins, Goodwin, thatch, Gordon, and French.  Not to mention these other recruits that look great and can be interchangeable in that 5!

Could he be similar to Hellems last year?  It seemed he was interested in SLU (at least according to Frank) and then had one huge AAU weekend getting a ton of high major offers and then SLU didn't even make his top 5.  

Just now, Bills_06 said:

Could he be similar to Hellems last year?  It seemed he was interested in SLU (at least according to Frank) and then had one huge AAU weekend getting a ton of high major offers and then SLU didn't even make his top 5.  

only difference, and this is based off of what it seemed; Yuri wants to stay home and play here, Hellems just didnt have great offers and SLU was close.  It seemed Hellems never really cared for SLU as a school. 

2 minutes ago, spooncool said:

I agree Yuri wants to stay home and even said that was ideal for him and his family so I think it's a perfect fit.  Though his family is smart and will weigh all options for him.

If the staff feels really good about Yuri - taking Austin, Jr. as a grad transfer makes perfect sense. Fills a roster need and tells Yuri that he  is the PG in the 2019 class. 

Also, SLU is primed for a massive run next season if all of the pieces come together. Yuri would definitely want to be part of a group that could potentially cause significant damage in the tourney for the next 3-4 years at least. Plus, he'd be assured of taking over the PG reigns once Goodwin graduates. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

If the staff feels really good about Yuri - taking Austin, Jr. as a grad transfer makes perfect sense. Fills a roster need and tells Yuri that he  is the PG in the 2019 class. 

It makes no sense to take a grad transfer who will not see the floor.  My guess is that Austin is not in the Billiken plans.  There is a reason a kid goes to two different Power 5 schools and sits.  SLU does not need to make it three.  Much prefer to take a JC kid who proved himself or a grad from a lower program who shined and wants one last chance to get to the NCAA Tourney.  Austin played in only 23 games for Vanderbilt averaging 2.5 pts and an assist.  Looks like he could not even make the rotation for a 12 win team and Iooks like he was 2nd last guy on the bench ..... clean-up guy.  SLU will/should do better.

almaman likes this

6 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

It makes no sense to take a grad transfer who will not see the floor.  My guess is that Austin is not in the Billiken plans.  There is a reason a kid goes to two different Power 5 schools and sits.  SLU does not need to make it three.  Much prefer to take a JC kid who proved himself or a grad from a lower program who shined and wants one last chance to get to the NCAA Tourney.  Austin played in only 23 games for Vanderbilt averaging 2.5 pts and an assist.  Looks like he could not even make the rotation for a 12 win team and Iooks like he was 2nd last guy on the bench ..... clean-up guy.  SLU will/should do better.

I partially agree but also think the argument for a grad transfer is there is no real downside. Gives you ballhandling, leadership and defense without hogging a scholarship moving forward.

7 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

uh, Anthony?

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Rashed was perfect for this year's team, but I don't think that should be the standard for Grad transfers moving forward.

agreed, just saying getting Austin for what he is isnt a foreign concept to Ford. 

After a tournament appearance or two, a coach can sell a grad transfer on being the final piece to a tournament/S16 type team. Coming off a non-postseason year, Austin is realistically a solid grad transfer. 

6 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

We are so thin at guard after s2, I wouldn’t be picky about experienced players who will give steady minutes as a role player and are good teammates/citizens. Larry seems to fit this profile. I think he’d be a good addition unless he’s looking for a starting role somewhere. 

Are we sure Austin is really any better than Hines?  Easy answer is yes, but they seem to be very similar style players.  And keep in mind Hines was a 500pt scorer in three years.