Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bbtds and others who believe a team's current structure equals its program's height.

1. Jim Crews inherited a very talented squad and quickly ran it into the ground. Enjoy the moment but things sure change fast in college basketball.

2. UNVL was listed by many as a truly top program b/c of the success sustained by Jerry Tarquenian (sp?) (National Champs, #1 ranking for nearly 2 years, etc.) but no top coach every went there or made the program anywhere close to the same.

3. So when our team was ranked in the Top 10 only 2 1/2 years ago, our program was ahead of many of the perennial blue blood programs?

4. So Valpo had a better team this past year so the Valpo job is better than the Illini job?

Ford was 155-111 in Stillwater, but was only 55-65 in Big 12 play, including only one upper-division finish in the conference standings. Ford had five 20-win seasons and five NCAA tournament berths, but had a 1-5 record in the NCAAs. OSU also had an NIT appearance in 2011 under Ford.

Stallings would be my number 2 behind Drew.

1) Drew

2) Stallings

3) Romar

Those are my top 3 in that order

-I don't see the shine on Travis Ford, I think there are better candidates, much better

You mean you don't like the fact Ford's been to the big dance 7 times and has only made it past the first round once?

Ford was 155-111 in Stillwater, but was only 55-65 in Big 12 play, including only one upper-division finish in the conference standings. Ford had five 20-win seasons and five NCAA tournament berths, but had a 1-5 record in the NCAAs. OSU also had an NIT appearance in 2011 under Ford.

Given the level of talent he had there, this is an astonishing failure.

We don't have T. Boone Pickens money at SLU; it's not going to be quite the sell OSU is. With the next level down recruiting-wise, it's not like he'd be able to do better.

He was at EKU for 5 seasons. Losing record in the first four, NCAA Tournament appearance in the fifth year.

He was at UMass for 3 seasons. Losing record in year one, followed by two nice records and NIT berths. That was enough for OSU, apparently.

It's just not clear he can sustain winning, and there's more evidence to suggest that he can't. He sucks. If anyone with any pull in the AD reads this board, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not hire Travis Ford.

Rumor out of Vandy is that Stallings is gone. They are going to make a run at Will Wade.

Stallings better be interviewing here

They were probably waiting to see if SLU would go after him so they wouldnt have to pay the buyout.

I was all in on Drew at first and still would be. However, the more I think about Stallings the more I think I'd move him even or above Drew. He's done well in a bigger conference at a school that is hard to recruit to due to academic standards. I think people are down playing his success some. This would be his destination and he'd retire here, which would mean he should know when he's leaving and have his replacement ready. If He is out at Vandy and I could seal the deal with him today ... I would

Drew is slightly ahead of Stallings for me. But if Stallings told us this weekend that it's "take it or leave it", I'd seal the deal with him immediately.

Agree with all of this

Drew is slightly ahead of Stallings for me. But if Stallings told us this weekend that it's "take it or leave it", I'd seal the deal with him immediately.

I generally agree, but I don't know just how strong SLU feels about Drew accepting.

That said, compared to Ford and Dooley, I'd be ecstatic with Stallings.

I think Stallings wants the SLU job and was angling for it before today. The stories about him and SLU started with journalists he is connected to.

I think Stallings wants the SLU job and was angling for it before today. The stories about him and SLU started with journalists he is connected to.

Will be Intersting to see how this unfolds...how much demand would there be for a Stallings at other schools? That could hurt Stallings or help him in his negotiations...basically tell SLU sign me up now (before Valpo loses) or I'm finding something else. Not sure what leverage he may have..