#FireJimCrews

-here's my prediction/prognostication on which I hope I am 100% wrong....the powers that be will be swayed by the team being impacted by Rick's illness that lead to his death, this caused recruiting to be stagnant for too long to capitalize on the 3 year Tourney run so the roster is not as talented or as well constructed as it should be but Crews will get the benefit of the doubt with this and his caretaker status for two seasons over all the other reasons that have been posted in various threads here to make a change and he will be brought back next season

I agree with your prediction if the team can somehow win 10 or more games and wins another that they are not supposed to win. If the team loses the remainder of the games this season, and that could happen, then coach Crews will be gone. Chris May's response to my e-mail supports your prediction. I think coach Crews should be fired. This is one of the worse teams I have ever seen. The VCU game was a total disaster, 2 field goals in the first half, turnovers, missed layups and fast break comedy non finishes is hard to watch. I really feel bad for the players this must really be hard for them.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RM's death has nothing to do with this roster or season. It should not be used as an excuse for mediocrity. We all appreciate what he did for the program but people die everyday and the world keeps spinning. That is in the past and Crews needs to be held responsible for the current monstrosity. I would be shocked if the AD or Pestello, who never met RM if I'm correct, is in alignment with your prediction.

May was here when RM was coaching.

-here's my prediction/prognostication on which I hope I am 100% wrong....the powers that be will be swayed by the team being impacted by Rick's illness that lead to his death, this caused recruiting to be stagnant for too long to capitalize on the 3 year Tourney run so the roster is not as talented or as well constructed as it should be but Crews will get the benefit of the doubt with this and his caretaker status for two seasons over all the other reasons that have been posted in various threads here to make a change and he will be brought back next season

You worry too much.

That may be true and it will be a prolonged disaster. The problem is Crews is putting together another lost recruiting year. It will take at least 3 years to recover from this after Crews is gone.

If May can't grasp how far his flagship program has fallen in a little less than 2 years and doesn't push for Crews' release, he needs to be fired. I'll give Crews recruiting a pass on his first class, it was late in the process, but the failure of the 6 man class rests totally on his shoulders. SLU was coming off a dance year, but he couldn't close the deal with a lot of his plan As, so we got left with a group of plan Bs and Cs. Look at Jolly and Gillman, what other D1 programs were after those two?

But that's all moot at this point. The biggest problem w/Crews is he hasn't developed them or given them schemes that might alleviate their lack of talent with savvy and discipline. Reggie's the poster boy for his shortcomings. His hoops IQ has to be around 2 and has learned nothing in his 3 years. As for his Xs and Os you watch the supposed motion offense and see guys just running around. They're not coming off of off ball screens, they're just moving. I saw Gillmann try and screen someone yesterday and it was comical. He missed the guy by 3 feet. If Majerus was there, he would have told Austin to turn in his uni right there and join an intramural team.

The rest of the A10 has moved forward while we've become a bottom tier low mid major team. If he gets another season nothing will improve. One more year of experience isn't suddenly going to make them quicker, jump higher, shoot better, etc. We are what we are and no further proof is needed at this point.

Did Spoon come cheap?

I think he was made about a half million a year. Not cheap at the time, but not top dollar either. They did try to throw a lot of money at Pitino before they hired Spoon, but Pitino turned them down.

Supposedly, Mike Brown is the front runner for the job. It will be interesting to see what McCaw decides to do. He is a better player than any current Billiken.

The best part about giving Crews a pass for his first recruiting class is that it produced Ash and Crawford. If anything, he should want to take credit for those two.

I have tried to make that point several times. That class was actually his best class.

The problem with Crews is this. The recruiting has been an absolute failure from talent level to roster construction. But where many coaches would make up for in x and os, Crews has also been an absolute failure. There is no redeeming quality about this regime. It's like those fat girls that have small breasts. They are really hard to look at. But then you top it off that she also has a terrible personality. That is this team. Poor construction and not even fun to watch.

XWOuu8G.gif

You worry too much.

I agree, primarily because we're in a much different situation now in terms of the powers that be.

Biondi's management style was dictatorial. He ran off the athletic director before May. (And perhaps the one before that, if I remember correctly.) No one who would have taken the job after that would have imagined that he or she would be called upon for any vision or innovation -- or even leadership. They were to be a trusted colonel who would implement the general's orders without question.

Pestello was chosen in large part because he's conciliatory and manages by collegiality. At least half of his job is to repair the stuff that Biondi carelessly bulldozed while in the process of building up the University.

Because of that, Pestello couldn't exactly come in and make wholesale changes immediately. But he does have a clear opening to do so with the athletic department, and my prediction is that he'll use it to put in his own choice as AD. And that choice will have a lot more flexibility to make his or her own decisions without constant micromanagement from the corner office in DuBourg.

A little birdie has said the Crews matter will be taken care by year end. Not just a rumor.

End of calendar year or end of season? Dead serious. If the Bills don't have a reasonable chance of winning the NCAA championship this year, Crews should be fired today. I guarantee better performances from the team without him, now and in the future.

Biondi's management style was dictatorial. He ran off the athletic director before May. (And perhaps the one before that, if I remember correctly.) No one who would have taken the job after that would have imagined that he or she would be called upon for any vision or innovation -- or even leadership. They were to be a trusted colonel who would implement the general's orders without question.

Doug Woolard was the AD before Cheryl Levick. Biondi went over Levick's head on the Majerus thing, but Woolard (thankfully) left on his own accord for the South Florida job. He's coming up on his one-year anniversary of being forced to retire after about 10 years on that job and stagnation at the program - which is what you get when you hire Doug Woolard, and USF's mediocrity was no surprise to anyone familiar with him at SLU.

Did Woolard have many advantages as the AD under Biondi? No, but it seemed to work for him. He was content to delegate everything, push for nothing, and wait for a higher-profile AD job (i.e. one with football) to open up. Then he stole a paycheck for another decade and called it a career.

Doug Woolard was the AD before Cheryl Levick. Biondi went over Levick's head on the Majerus thing, but Woolard (thankfully) left on his own accord for the South Florida job. He's coming up on his one-year anniversary of being forced to retire after about 10 years on that job and stagnation at the program - which is what you get when you hire Doug Woolard, and USF's mediocrity was no surprise to anyone familiar with him at SLU.

Did Woolard have many advantages as the AD under Biondi? No, but it seemed to work for him. He was content to delegate everything, push for nothing, and wait for a higher-profile AD job (i.e. one with football) to open up. Then he stole a paycheck for another decade and called it a career.

I was thinking of Debbie Yow and couldn't remember the circumstances of her departure, which seem to have more to do with moving up in the world than discontent.

Nonetheless, the Levick thing still coincides with my Biondi->Pestello scenario.

I was thinking of Debbie Yow and couldn't remember the circumstances of her departure, which seem to have more to do with moving up in the world than discontent.

Nonetheless, the Levick thing still coincides with my Biondi->Pestello scenario.

Promotion to go to Maryland.

It sure does.

Woolard was the post-Yow hire who wouldn't challenge Biondi. Biondi got what he wanted there- a content, ineffectual, status quo hire who would never ask for anything from the administration and delegate everything. Yow and Levick did not have the passive approach that Woolard did.

If May can't grasp how far his flagship program has fallen in a little less than 2 years and doesn't push for Crews' release, he needs to be fired. I'll give Crews recruiting a pass on his first class, it was late in the process, but the failure of the 6 man class rests totally on his shoulders. SLU was coming off a dance year, but he couldn't close the deal with a lot of his plan As, so we got left with a group of plan Bs and Cs. Look at Jolly and Gillman, what other D1 programs were after those two?

But that's all moot at this point. The biggest problem w/Crews is he hasn't developed them or given them schemes that might alleviate their lack of talent with savvy and discipline. Reggie's the poster boy for his shortcomings. His hoops IQ has to be around 2 and has learned nothing in his 3 years. As for his Xs and Os you watch the supposed motion offense and see guys just running around. They're not coming off of off ball screens, they're just moving. I saw Gillmann try and screen someone yesterday and it was comical. He missed the guy by 3 feet. If Majerus was there, he would have told Austin to turn in his uni right there and join an intramural team.

The rest of the A10 has moved forward while we've become a bottom tier low mid major team. If he gets another season nothing will improve. One more year of experience isn't suddenly going to make them quicker, jump higher, shoot better, etc. We are what we are and no further proof is needed at this point.

Problem is, I've seen intramural teams at Simon Rec that could beat this team. Majerus would be doing Austin a favor.