I was not sold on Crews

GOSLU68

Agree 15-15 might be the worst case scenario. Probably buys Crews more time but still doesn't get us close enough to getting back to the postseason.

Totally agree. 15-15, 16-14, even 17-13 is a terrible scenario. Right in the heart of the "take a loss on an EIEIO tournament" field. Above any sort of change. Set up for another 16-14 or 17-13 season the following year. Mediocrity.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so disillusioned by what was happening in the game last night that I changed over and started watching other games. The difference in what I saw was astounding. Even these lower level teams I watched had some clue about what they were doing on offense. We have no idea what it takes to get good looks at the basket.

Does anyone else get the impression that certain guys on the team seem to refuse to pass to certain other guys??? There seem to be times when the ball is moving around the outside of the motion offense and the player at the top of the arc will look like he wants to continue moving the ball, but then see who is next to receive it and hesitate. The motion offense can't work if everyone is not involved.

The typical end result of our offensive plays is that the guys give up on running the offense and then decide to try to make their own shot. This is a disaster.

I have finally removed my rose colored glasses and realize that this team has no idea what they are doing on offense. This might be because the players are not being given a system that has a chance of success (coaching), or that they are not capable of executing a good system that they are being given (recruiting), or that they are capable of executing the system, but are not doing so (coaching/recruiting). For some reason, I think that these players are not that bad and that they are capable of succeeding, but are not being given the tools or the support or the proper practicing or the system to do it.

I have supported Crews up to this point. Now, I wonder it we might be better to part ways now, let an assistant take over as an interim, and begin the coaching search.

For the record, I don't think the powers-to-be had any other rationale choice when they hired Crews. He was national coach of the year, and he wanted the job. i can count on one hand the number of programs who are in a position to not hire a coach in that circumstance.

That being said, he is an absolute disaster. This team and his recruiting has zero identity and is completely out of touch with today's game. We were down by 26 points in the 2nd half, yet we were still using the entire shot clock, we were not shooting any 3s, and there was no press or pressure defense. Oh yeah, and there were about a dozen instances in the first half in which 99% of the coaches in the organized basketball world would have called a timeout. Most CYC coaches have tighter-controlled lineups and better defined rolls. Hell, Claggett and Justin Tatum are recruiting better at the high school level than Crews is right now.

Most concerning, however, is how Crews and his program have absolutely destroyed the fan support and the crowds. Before the game even tipped, I was embarrassed by a crowd that would have been bad for an exhibition game in year's past.

I don't have the answers, but I know that this isn't working.

Nark.

Sorry, but I disagree with you and nearly all on this Board who continue to preach that SLU had no option but to hire Jim Crews b/c of his national COY, etc. Instead, RM had been gravely ill since late Spring, it was publicly announced in late Summer that RM would not be coaching that year and then RM died on December 1st. SLU and Fr. Biondi again completely mishandled the most important coaching job at SLU -- again no surprise. Think of Jim Crews as Fr. Biondi's final act and gift to the men's basketball program!!

Now, I have no problem with SLU naming Jim Crews as the Interim Coach coach -- over more senior Whitesell -- but I do believe that these were very unique circumstances and that there was alot more SLU could have done. For instance, SLU could have paid Crews double what they paid him (if needed) to make him completely loyal and to give that year Crews' best and undivided efforts but also could have said that he would not be the next coach - both to Crews privately as well as publicly. Believe it was the Santa Clara disaster whereby support for Jim Crews was at its low point and virtually no one even assumed that Jim Crews would be a likely candidate. SLU could have hired another coach mid-season if this coach were not then coaching (RM previously worked for ESPN and believe the same with Coach Paul Biancardi). SLU very nicely could have said publicly that the new coach would come from outside SLU and could have set the criteria foreshadowing the need/desire for younger coach vastly different skills than what Jim Crews brought to the table. By not publicly commenting, by not having a new coach lined up either mid-season or by the end of the year, by being SLU (giving the public appearance that it doesn't know what it is doing), public pressure built for Crews. Why no rumors that entire season about the next coach? Why no coaching interviews set up? In essence, SLU appeared to have absolutely no direction, no coach in mind, no top prospects, etc and therefore it sure appeared that SLU could do much worse than hiring Jim Crews, In fact, Fr. Biondi let Jim Crews dangle for a few weeks with the unsigned contract supposedly sitting on Fr. Biondi's desk. Talk at the time was that if SLU isn't careful, they may lose Jim Crews and be left with absolutely nothing!!

Look at the Gary Pinkel situation at Mizzou. The Tigers are in the toughest conference in football whereby guys like Les Miles and Steve Spurrier had trouble beating the likes of Nick Saban and yet the players are all showing support for their assistant coaches!! Big mistake. My point has less to do about Mizzou and whoever they choose but is more a commentary about what the current players usually say: they want to the guys they are comfortable with. Remember when Romar left and the players all rallied and lobbied Fr. Biondi to hire Brad Soderberg? Yes, some programs (Xavier) have hired from within but did anyone really think Crews would be the next Miller or Mack? especially without the institutional support here at SLU versus at places like Xavier?

No. SLU had no choice to hire Jim Crews ... only after they sat on their hands all season long.

Who knows what the senior year of the Jett/McCall/Evans/Loe class would have been like if they had brought in a totally new coach that season? Crews at least had been with them for two years by that point. It's possible that keeping Crews for another year made actual sense at the time (not just because the school had no choice) but that it also would have made sense to move on before either last season or this one.

I'm ready to pick up the pitchfork now. It's more of a recruiting issue than a coaching issue (although it may be both). It is a poorly constructed roster. You have to start with good, consistent PG play.

That post dispatch article where Crews wasn't worried about having a good point guard was so revealing.

I think nark is right and so is clock ... in this manner ... nark is right about the hands tied once the season ended. Clock is right about not apparently having a plan leading up to that point.

What does it say of Saint Louis University if after playing benevolent caretaker and then winning national COY, SLU sends Crews packing? Talk about being heartless --- here's a guy who stepped in, guided the ship through rough waters to its most successful year ever in modern history, who is named national COY and then SLU CUTS him! Think about the ramifications and non-verbal messages that sends around college basketball. Who in their right mind wants to work for that kind of administration? Sure its al speculation and perception but perception is reality.

I agree with Clock that SLU didn't do enough homework when it could have. I agree with nark that by the time it was decision time, SLU tardiness in the first part made the conclusion in the second part one with no other option.

The sad thing is I don't see help on the way. The one player recruiting class is underwhelming. Welmer's return doesn't improve the outlook much. The best hope is it is too early to tell what this group is. Every year there are games you lose bad when you shouldn't have. Maybe this was that game. The wake up call that maximum effort is required every game. If it's not, this is going to be a long year and this coaching staff's last.

The Wiz has Wichita State minus 1. So it's an even game. A real toss-up. And in my mind, toss ups should be won when played on your home floor. So Saturday will truly be interesting, more interesting than originally planned. Do we crap a load in our diaper, or do these guys come out wearing big boy pants and seek redemption? Given the opponent, I can't believe motivation will be lacking. So if they comeout flat or goosed-eyed, that too is on the staff.

Ditto to Ace, Sshoe and Jbizzle in another thread. I was in wait and see mode until last night. Unless something changes dramatically a change has to be made at the end of the season.

+1....I've hit my point as well. The lack of effort on the court and the 'perplexed' look on Jimmy's face said it all. I'm glad my daughter made me get up from Boytoy's seats (20 feet from Jim Crews) after the first 5 minutes because I don't think the dark side of Davola would have been contained at the end of the first half.

+1....I've hit my point as well. The lack of effort on the court and the 'perplexed' look on Jimmy's face said it all. I'm glad my daughter made me get up from Boytoy's seats (20 feet from Jim Crews) after the first 5 minutes because I don't think the dark side of Davola would have been contained at the end of the first half.

I've given Crews lots of salient feedback from those seats.

Let's make a comparison between a school having a coach that is "less than optimal" and a marriage that is also "less than optimal." Certainly any number of us, of both sexes, have had experiences with bad marriages, or "less than optimal" marriages. How do we handle this? Well, before anything else happens there has to be a definite awareness that we are involved in a bad marriage. This awareness is very hard to achieve because there are vested interests involved and the general tendency is to try to fix the situation first of all. The fix may or may not work, and may well make things worse than they were before. Then comes the crucial step, a decision must be reached to separate or split the marriage. This is not easy to do in any way imaginable. Just think of all the ties (emotional, financial, children and friends) that will have to be dealt with and you may get an idea of how difficult a process this may be or become. After all, a marriage is not a one night stand, there are financial ties that are difficult to unravel, and commitments that have to be terminated and replaced by what??? There are all kinds of issues involved, children, living arrangements, ownership of things... The list goes on and on. And on top of it all, whether or not the parties in a divorce proceed to think about it, there is (or should be) the fear of how to replace what you are in the process of losing. Look at the statistics, any number of divorces lead to a remarriage with spouses that are strikingly similar to the prior ones, and end in divorce for very similar reasons as the prior marriage ended in divorce ...

Now let's put this into the context of getting anew coach after firing the prior one. First of all the powers that be must decide that there is no fixing to the current situation. This is not a easy decision to make under any circumstances. Anyone who supported the hiring of the coach that is being terminated will get a black eye in the process. In corporate speak this is a no no. Something must happen to make the old supporters of the coach being eliminated capable of walking out of their prior support and not get that black eye. This is difficult and does not happen overnight, regardless of performance. Reasons supporting the need for the elimination must be collected, sometimes for quite some time. Once a case is made, the termination should not be done without a lengthy look at candidates for the spot. A considerable amount of time determining desirable goals (that are also realistic) for the basketball program is required before you go out through with the process of firing the current coach and hiring someone else. Otherwise it is like going to match.com and finding someone who you really enjoy being with for the next couple of weeks before you remarry which is not a good thing to do, at least not the remarrying part. You need someone who you (the person responsible for the process) can feel somewhat assured may achieve the goals for the program that have been decided. Then comes the hard part, the top dogs in the institution have to be presented with a proposal, with a full cost analysis (how much it will cost to get the coach to depart and how much additional money you are willing to spend to provide a new coach up to specs). This is very hard to do, and it does put the parties that control the process in a bind: what happens if we choose wrong and get someone else that is like the one we are getting rid of? How much of this will stick to my own coat and give me a black eye later on. This is the way it is done in the corporate world. Of course there are variations, this is just a schematic road map.

The following happens next: 1. the institution will have to spend significant money to get rid of the current coach, particularly if there are still multiple years of contractual agreement unfulfilled. This is not a trivial expense. 2.The new coach better be as good as you (the power in charge) is claiming he will be, and better be committed to move to our City and program for the length of the contract. This of course is what the person heading the change process hopes will happen. However, if the new coach comes in and stays a couple of years out of a multiyear contract before quitting and stepping into a newer and better offer somewhere else, or if the new coach turns out to be a repeat performance of the prior coach's, the person in charge of the change may get a black eye (something you DO NOT want to get in a corporate setting).

I am posting all of this stuff to try to emphasize how much easier it is for everyone in charge to maintain the status quo and not change it. There are too many pitfalls in this process that can negatively affect the job and career of the guy proposing the change and leading it. This is not the case if the directive to change coaches comes from above. When the directive comes from above the change will take place and usually in a reduced time frame because the person leading the change will be able to push blame up the ladder later on ... Or will he be able to do so?

Believe me people, what many people in this blog fervently wish to happen is not going to happen soon or at all unless the president of the University decides it is going to be so. Let me remind you that Dr. Pestello is not like Fr. Biondi in any way imaginable. I personally do not think this will happen at all for the reasons delineated above.

The only thing that is different here is that the current President was not here when Crews was hired so he has no investment in Crews. May does but he may have to go also to right this ship. Will Pestello move on both - who knows but I do know something, improvement has to happen one way or the other.

I think I've asked this before, but do we have any "insider" knowledge about Dr. Pestello's view of the athletic program. (Does Billikan have his ear?)

I'm sure that Billikan does have his ear but I doubt he see the team in the same view as a lot of this board. My guess is he is supportive of Crews. [i'm not ready to give up the ship but I better not see too many more halves like last night} I have been told by others that Dr. Fred sees the value of a good basketball program. Being a novice of D1 sports I think he would be reluctant to make changes unless some big donors had his ear. Novelly was a Biondi guy who probably is not involved currently. Dr C. who knows?

Thank you cheese. I have been reading a lot of commentaries about Biondi doing nothing about getting at least a few viable coaching choices before RM was incapacitated and passed away. This is lack of action is seen as proof of mishandling, etc... My question to you all is why are you all surprised that organizations fail to act upon knowledge that they need to do something within a period of time? This is nothing new or unique to SLU, indeed I think it is a fairly common situation in the corporate world.

About Dr. Pestello, we must realize that he has a lot of bigger fish to fry in his hands. The basketball program may bring visibility and money to the University, at least in winning years, but certainly is not such a major contributor to the University's finances that requires the President of the University's constant attention. Yes, it is true that he may intervene if there is some really major problem associated with the basketball program, otherwise he will probably let the AD handle it until the AD asks for special support or help. I really do not think Dr. Pestello has any intention to sack the AD at this time, and may not have much concerns about Crews either. After all games are won and lost, are they not?

By the way, the state of affairs I describe above is most likely entirely satisfactory to the AD as well. Therefore I tend to think things will remain status quo in the basketball program.

That was a bad loss, but it is not time to panic.

We still can win 16-17-18 and show progress with a still very young team (3 freshmen + 6 sophs). Many of you said that would be nice.

Now the same people panic after a bad loss. Sure, if we look that bad the rest of the year, it is time for Crews to move on.

But the ugly comments from mostly the "usual suspects" are uncalled for... at this point.

I like the way the same people place the blame mostly all on Crews and Jolly. I wonder about Yarbrough, with all that talent he has not shown much at all, some on here last year were worried about him leaving early for the NBA. And I expected more of Roby. And Bartley, though he is behind a bit with the injury. Everyone just slimes away at Crews and Jolly.

Crawford has stepped up. So has Reynolds. So have a few others to a lesser extent.

I agree if we look that bad a lot this year, then it's time for a change.

But I also think most of you are mistaken that we will then get a superstar up and coming coach to get us to the dance over and over and that he'll stay for a decade. Again, Majerus was a freak of luck, a gift, a magical occurrance.

NEVER PANIC.

We still can win 16-17-18 and show progress with a still very young team (3 freshmen + 6 sophs). Many of you said that would be nice.

Now the same people panic after a bad loss. Sure, if we look that bad the rest of the year, it is time for Crews to move on.

But the ugly comments from mostly the "usual suspects" are uncalled for... at this point.

I like the way the same people place the same blame on Crews and Jolly. I wonder about Yarbrough, with all that talent he has not shown much at all, some on here last year were worried about him leaving early for the NBA. And I expected more of Roby. And Bartely though he is behind a bit with the injury. Everyone just slimes away at Crews and Jolly.

Crawford has stepped up. So has Reynolds. So have a few others to a lesser extent.

I agree if we look that bad a lot this year, then time for a change.

But I also think most of you are mistaken that we will get a superstar up and coming coach to get us to the dance for 3 years. Again, Majerus was a freak of luck, a gift, a magical occurrance.

NEVER PANIC.

If VCU can get Shaka, Butler can get Brad Stevens, Wichita St. can get Marshall, Dayton can get Archie, Rhode Island can get a Hurley, Buffalo could get a Hurley, then why the hell can't we get a top coach?

I'm sure that Billikan does have his ear but I doubt he see the team in the same view as a lot of this board. My guess is he is supportive of Crews. [i'm not ready to give up the ship but I better not see too many more halves like last night} I have been told by others that Dr. Fred sees the value of a good basketball program. Being a novice of D1 sports I think he would be reluctant to make changes unless some big donors had his ear. Novelly was a Biondi guy who probably is not involved currently. Dr C. who knows?

The big money guys will have to be the ones driving this. Does anybody really think Biondi initiated the bold move of sacking Sodie and bringing in RM? Clearly it wasn't the Athletic Director's decision. Does Crews have two years remaining after this season? No way do the Prez or May make a bold decision like that. Somebody(s) will need to pay for it.

I like the way the same people place the blame mostly all on Crews and Jolly. I wonder about Yarbrough, with all that talent he has not shown much at all, some on here last year were worried about him leaving early for the NBA. And I expected more of Roby. And Bartley, though he is behind a bit with the injury. Everyone just slimes away at Crews and Jolly.

But I also think most of you are mistaken that we will then get a superstar up and coming coach to get us to the dance over and over and that he'll stay for a decade. Again, Majerus was a freak of luck, a gift, a magical occurrance.

NEVER PANIC.

It's amazing how you have 3,208 identical posts. Do you have this saved somewhere and just hit copy & paste, then change a few words before hitting Post?

Please post the link to the post where someone at billikens.Com posted they were worried Yarbrough was going to go to the nba early. Thanks in advance for this extremely tough task since I am almost positive this is made up. NOBODY said that and you need to admit you either made that up or imagined such.

Please post the link to the post where someone at billikens.Com posted they were worried Yarbrough was going to go to the nba early. Thanks in advance for this extremely tough task since I am almost positive this is made up. NOBODY said that and you need to admit you either made that up or imagined such.

In defense of MB, someone did say that. I believe it was around early conference play last year. Maybe the GW game that he went off? And I think it was somewhat joking.

NEVER PANIC.

-Sure, if we look that bad the rest of the year, it is time for Crews to move on. - I think this is a first for MB

I think I've asked this before, but do we have any "insider" knowledge about Dr. Pestello's view of the athletic program. (Does Billikan have his ear?)

I know from what I have heard from others who have talked to people who had a chance to talk with Pestello that he does support athletics as an important part of the college experience and as a way to give the school a higher profile. Now to what extent I am not sure. I also know that he told my son that he understands that there will be rebuilding years but not every year can be a rebuilding one. How patient he is and will be is anybody's guess.