2015 Commit - Jermaine Bishop

slufan13

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, I think this is the best fit/player we are going to get. I am not sure what he "lacks" that made the big boys shy away (just looking at his offers)...my guess is he lacks the explosive nature (read dunking ability) expected from the high majors. That doesn't really bother me at all. Right now, I just want someone who can stay in front of his man, doesnt dribble right into the double-team, and knows how to use a screen. Roby and Yarbrough can bring the explosiveness.

Spring recruiting seems to always be a challenge for SLU and this is a welcome addition. If he ends up playing major minutes this year, then that would be a true testament to his talent and fit.

MR and MB are all presumably working on their games to ensure that they are the PG next year.

The over/under just went to 18.5 wins next season B)

We asked if he could dunk, I didn't see one dunk in the video.

The other important question, is he part werewolf? Can the board lycanthroptologists weigh in please?

Also, the staff moved quick and hopefully he wasn't highly recruited due to schools waiting on the outcome of his injury issues and not because the skills/size aren't what it needs to be. Does the fact that Yale was in the mix mean he's probably a good student?

Also guys, I know it was a down year but.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQg4HfNIz4

We asked if he could dunk, I didn't see one dunk in the video.

The other important question, is he part werewolf? Can the board lycanthroptologists weigh in please?

Also, the staff moved quick and hopefully he wasn't highly recruited due to schools waiting on the outcome of his injury issues and not because the skills/size aren't what it needs to be. Does the fact that Yale was in the mix mean he's probably a good student?

Also guys, I know it was a down year but.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQg4HfNIz4

Good god, how did we forget the Pitbull? Good call, my man.

Yes. Holy Cross HS (Queens) is also a good school. He won't be an academic concern.

Good god, how did we forget the Pitbull? Good call, my man.

I always forget how to embed a video and couldn't figure it out what's up with that? It's not working.

This season has us all down and we nearly were just so damn close to stopping the party.....but really we should not stop the party. How could we as men (and a few boys) ever look ourselves in the mirror if we allowed the party to end? I couldn't have that on my conscience.

I always forget how to embed a video and couldn't figure it out what's up with that? It's not working.

This season has us all down and we nearly were just so damn close to stopping the party.....but really we should not stop the party. How could we as men (and a few boys) ever look ourselves in the mirror if we allowed the party to end? I couldn't have that on my conscience.

not a good idea to stop the party. unacceptable, really.

Now that our biggest need has been addressed, I will be interested to see what the next recruiting step is. Work the 5th year senior market? Look for JUCOs or other transfers? Save it for 2016?

I know a lot of people are worried about how many scholarships will be available in 2016, but I will still keep our options open this spring. We don't have to force it just to fill a roster spot, but if there is a chance to get better now, I hope we go for it. I think 2016 will take care of itself and another scholarship or two will open if needed.

Now that our biggest need has been addressed, I will be interested to see what the next recruiting step is. Work the 5th year senior market? Look for JUCOs or other transfers? Save it for 2016?

I know a lot of people are worried about how many scholarships will be available in 2016, but I will still keep our options open this spring. We don't have to force it just to fill a roster spot, but if there is a chance to get better now, I hope we go for it. I think 2016 will take care of itself and another scholarship or two will open if needed.

Totally agree; however, it is the timing of when the scholarships will open which is important. The better local kids, etc. will not wait around until this time next year for a scholarship to open up. At this point, I would either save the scholarship or use it only for a 5th year transfer. If we fill the last scholarship this Spring and then obtain 2 or 3 signings in the Fall, that means that 1 or 2 guys will be shown the door, team chemistry will fall apart and the dissension/negative impact on the team will be far more damaging to next year than the benefits of what these extra 1 or 2 guys can bring. If we are truly in the running for some of these guys, then save the scholarships. Even RM who ran guys off regularly ended up saving a few scholarships certain years.

So hard to predict about a player based on which schools were interested. Remember Vanfleet

from Wichita State was not recruited by another school. Not saying J-hop (Jermaine BisHop) is Vanfleet,

but you never know. He looks very smooth and has a nice first step.

So hard to predict about a player based on which schools were interested. Remember Vanfleet

from Wichita State was not recruited by another school. Not saying J-hop (Jermaine BisHop) is Vanfleet,

Never judge players on other schools that are recruiting him, on the number of stars arbitrarily awarded, or by pre-season workout posts from MBM's. Wait until you see him a a few games to form your initial opinion.

Don't know which Van Vleet you're talking about, but the one at Wichita State was a top 100 recruit by ESPN and Scout and a top 150 by Rivals.

Totally agree; however, it is the timing of when the scholarships will open which is important. The better local kids, etc. will not wait around until this time next year for a scholarship to open up. At this point, I would either save the scholarship or use it only for a 5th year transfer. If we fill the last scholarship this Spring and then obtain 2 or 3 signings in the Fall, that means that 1 or 2 guys will be shown the door, team chemistry will fall apart and the dissension/negative impact on the team will be far more damaging to next year than the benefits of what these extra 1 or 2 guys can bring. If we are truly in the running for some of these guys, then save the scholarships. Even RM who ran guys off regularly ended up saving a few scholarships certain years.

You make some good points. I think the key is being VERY selective this spring if we are going to use that last available scholarship. No projects or developmental players. Agreed, a 5th year player would be a good fit.

IF it winds up that we just have one available heading into next year, obviously we hold it for JT. And if/when we land JT this fall, I am confident that when a scholarship or two opens in the spring of 2016, we would have a lot of quality players interesting in playing with JT.

Don't know which Van Vleet you're talking about, but the one at Wichita State was a top 100 recruit by ESPN and Scout and a top 150 by Rivals.

I even think we pursued him for a while.

I have heard that story trotted out about Ron baker in the past, but even he had low D1 scholarship offers

During the Tourney, they accused Bill Self of recruiting Van Vleet after he committed to Wichita State. Even if Van Vleet didn't have a long list of impressive offers, he was a highly ranked recruit. I'm not saying Bishop can't be a good player, but he is neither ranked nor his a long list of good offers. I'm not going to judge him until I see him. The vibe on this board from his highlight video is that he can really play. Maybe he can, but I'd rather see him first.

Jermaine Bishop, CHECKMATE BABY!!!!

In a related matter, SLU is focusing on it's Jesuit Mission by recruiting Jermaine "Kiss the Ring" Bishop.

During the Tourney, they accused Bill Self of recruiting Van Vleet after he committed to Wichita State. Even if Van Vleet didn't have a long list of impressive offers, he was a highly ranked recruit. I'm not saying Bishop can't be a good player, but he is neither ranked nor his a long list of good offers. I'm not going to judge him until I see him. The vibe on this board from his highlight video is that he can really play. Maybe he can, but I'd rather see him first.

I like em a little hungry...hopefully he'll come in with a chip on his shoulder ready to work.