Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

pretty sure that a coach's child has to be a scholarshipped player to take part in program activities in the offseason.   doesn't matter if they are related or not.   has to be treated the same as any other walkon.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I bet Laurie (or the kid's father) was not happy at having to pay the tuition at Mizzou just because he was wealthy.

I have some of my facts wrong here. I thought Spencer Laurie was the son of Bill Laurie (walmart husband, basketball player at Memphis and former Blues owner) but Spencer is his nephew. And Spencer only played two years at Mizzou and finished at MO State. Anyway, as Emily Littela used to say, "never mind".

2 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Yeah, this MBM is wondering if he'd be a walk on because he'd just be a walk on, or if it's  because his father is an employee and he gets a free ride anyway. I remember Laurie's kid at Mizzou saving a scholarship due to his wealthy father just paying the tuition. (And that's not the same thing of course.)

I thought that was Kroenke's kid.

Yeah, this MBM is wondering if he'd be a walk on because he'd just be a walk on, or if it's  because his father is an employee and he gets a free ride anyway. I remember Laurie's kid at Mizzou saving a scholarship due to his wealthy father just paying the tuition. (And that's not the same thing of course.)

I recall having this conversation when Kramer Soderberg was in high school; don't recall the details, however.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

I recall having this conversation when Kramer Soderberg was in high school; don't recall the details, however.

Note: this was my understanding from the Soderberg time which may not be completely accurate.

If the kid is good enough, the preference would be to have the kid on scholarship which is what Kramer would have done. If the kid is not truly the caliber of a scholarship player for your program, you would have him be a preferred walk-on. There are benefits to being a scholarship player that you would want for anyone who is expected to be a contributor on your team. I do recall Spencer Laurie going to Mizzou despite not having a scholarship ("Spencer has made a tremendous sacrifice by offering to initially come to Missouri without a scholarship"), so maybe I am wrong.

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

I thought that was Kroenke's kid.

Yeah, I think that's who I originally meant. But the cousin played too and I got 'em confused. And according to Josh Kroenke's bio on the Pepsi Center website, he had a full basketball scholarship so I guess I was wrong all the way around.

I was under the impression that Kramer did not need to be on a basketball schollie but could be a walk on.  As far as I am concerned unless Ford's son is better then who will have then don't give him a schollie unless he attends on an employee free tuition deal that does not cost us a basketball schollie..

28 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I was under the impression that Kramer did not need to be on a basketball schollie but could be a walk on.  As far as I am concerned unless Ford's son is better then who will have then don't give him a schollie unless he attends on an employee free tuition deal that does not cost us a basketball schollie..

That is correct Kramer could been "a walkon"  and slu could have given him free tuition as an employee benefit from brad.    

But as a walkon he would not have gotten room and board and he would not have been involved in off season workouts or if the team took a summer/fall team trip he would not have been allowed to go.  

I think it would be a lot unnecessary pressure on the coaches son if he takes a schollie.  He would always have that pressure to produce when maybe he can't. Didn't Kramer end up leaving Ohio U (I think that's where he first attended) then transferred to a NAIA then D2 Lindenwood where Sodie coached?

Best he takes the free tuition deal. I remember talking to my doctor at Emory (she held a faculty position at the Med School)  and asked her if she was ever leaving, she responded I not going anywhere, I need that free tuition for my 3 daughters. For Emory that probably more then a 1/2 million $ perk.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

That is correct Kramer could been "a walkon"  and slu could have given him free tuition as an employee benefit from brad.    

But as a walkon he would not have gotten room and board and he would not have been involved in off season workouts or if the team took a summer/fall team trip he would not have been allowed to go.  

The second part of that is what I was thinking of, as a player you are hampered by being a walk-on.

20 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

The second part of that is what I was thinking of, as a player you are hampered by being a walk-on.

The NCAA has a bunch of rules for walk on's and several others on Parent-Player relationships.  When the NCAA changed their food rule several years ago, they allowed walk on's to eat at the athletic training table free. 

A coach can watch his son or daughter play during 'dead recruiting periods'.  There are some things he can't do while watching - like contact other players - but he can attend all his son's or daughter's games. 

Yeah, I think that's who I originally meant. But the cousin played too and I got 'em confused. And according to Josh Kroenke's bio on the Pepsi Center website, he had a full basketball scholarship so I guess I was wrong all the way around.

Either way, didn't the Lauri family at least give us the "Paige Arena" affair as a fine example of why not to pay to have an arena named after your child until they are at least 40 years old.

19 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Either way, didn't the Lauri family at least give us the "Paige Arena" affair as a fine example of why not to pay to have an arena named after your child until they are at least 40 years old.

Yeah, when I was researching my blunders about the Walmart family tree, the interwebs again reminded me of the Paige Arena affair. A proud saga I'm sure for the Laurie family and their college "graduate" daughter.

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I think it would be a lot unnecessary pressure on the coaches son if he takes a schollie.  He would always have that pressure to produce when maybe he can't. Didn't Kramer end up leaving Ohio U (I think that's where he first attended) then transferred to a NAIA then D2 Lindenwood where Sodie coached?

Best he takes the free tuition deal. I remember talking to my doctor at Emory (she held a faculty position at the Med School)  and asked her if she was ever leaving, she responded I not going anywhere, I need that free tuition for my 3 daughters. For Emory that probably more then a 1/2 million $ perk.

Taheel I checked the total amount in tuition per student at Emory (no assistance assumed). It comes up to $213,400.00 per student for 4 years of school. Since your Dr. in the Emory faculty has 3 daughters, the total amount of the free tuition benefit comes up to be $640,200.00. That is a nice piece of change. 

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Taheel I checked the total amount in tuition per student at Emory (no assistance assumed). It comes up to $213,400.00 per student for 4 years of school. Since your Dr. in the Emory faculty has 3 daughters, the total amount of the free tuition benefit comes up to be $640,200.00. That is a nice piece of change. 

Old Guy, that's the tuition today, right? I seen the picture of her kids on her desk and asked the ages. She told me one is a sophomore in HS, one is in the 8th grade and another is in 5th grade. Tuition inflation will jump that up.

5 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Miami of Ohio

4 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

In fairness to the family their entertainment company was called Paige Entertainment.  Now the company was named after the daughter but one could say that the arena was named after the company.