Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

Is there anyone out there for 2018 that could help our team 2018-2019 season or has the 2018 ship sailed?

I am still hoping there is a transfer out there or another Virgil Cobin.

I think our team desperately needs a grad transfer guard or two.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

Is there anyone out there for 2018 that could help our team 2018-2019 season or has the 2018 ship sailed?

I am still hoping there is a transfer out there or another Virgil Cobin.

I think our team desperately needs a grad transfer guard or two.

There are plenty of transfers still on the market. It's just a matter of verifying who our staff is actually looking at.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING.

Hang in there box he could grad transfer.

We are interested in Kofi Cockburn for 2019 recruiting.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i'm still scared from our last "cool name" recruit aka jolley.  

Roy, speaking on behalf of the tall yet talent-less, white boy with delusions of grandeur community, we'd all appreciate it if you stopped deriding Mr Jolly. 

Thanks,

Rich 

Founding member and membership coordinator of the TYT, White boy division

Edited by Billiken Rich
Fixed it for 05

8 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Roy, speaking on behalf of the tall yet talent-less, white boy with delusions of grandeur community, we'd all appreciate it if you stopped deriding Mr Jolley. 

Thanks,

Rich 

Nobody by the name of Jolley played at Saint Louis University.

23 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Roy, speaking on behalf of the tall yet talent-less, white boy with delusions of grandeur community, we'd all appreciate it if you stopped deriding Mr Jolley. 

Thanks,

Rich 

Just think of the effect this demeaning humor will have on all tall and/or white recruits. It's insanity. This board has a major role to play in recruitment and it's posts like this that cause us to lose out on countless 5* tall and/or white recruits!

50 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Saw that Stu retweeted the below. Any reason to think SLU may be interested?

probably more along the lines of, "Now that I've retweeted info about a state of Missouri basketball player, my work here is done for the day." 

I'll take the 3-point shooting thoooo

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Looks like SLU is going to end up at #50 in the Rivals 2018 recruiting rankings. #2 in the A10. They don't have Thor listed as he's an international. They have Thatch rated above Jacobs. Pearson not rated. Gordon @ #68

https://247sports.com/college/saint-louis/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits

extremely underrated class. 

45 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Looks like SLU is going to end up at #50 in the Rivals 2018 recruiting rankings. #2 in the A10. They don't have Thor listed as he's an international. They have Thatch rated above Jacobs. Pearson not rated. Gordon @ #68

Pearson not rated.  Seems crazy.

57 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

-for those interested they have Rhodey #1, if true I will give their new coach kudos for keeping that much of a class together but we will be kicking their butt along with the rest of the league

53 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

what is your honest expectation for Gordon next season? ill shut up and listen...

nothing shocking, but constancy will be a big issue(as it is with most freshman).  even in hs he at times could dominate even when against those big names, and not show up against the weaker st louis teams.   That being said -  I cant recall watching a man of his size, run the way he does, with the ball handling he has (other than Mr. Zion Williamson himself).  Its gonna be amazing.  

NextYearBill likes this

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

nothing shocking, but constancy will be a big issue(as it is with most freshman).  even in hs he at times could dominate even when against those big names, and not show up against the weaker st louis teams.   That being said -  I cant recall watching a man of his size, run the way he does, with the ball handling he has (other than Mr. Zion Williamson himself).  Its gonna be amazing.  

What you described matches what others have said previously that he gets bored at the lower level. Not the best mentality but makes sense for his performance trends 

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

What you described matches what others have said previously that he gets bored at the lower level. Not the best mentality but makes sense for his performance trends 

One could say that about most teams — they play up or down to their level of competition.

4 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

similar to common rap for NBA that no one plays with zeal till the playoffs. Both claims lack much merit imo.

Not sure what the best place for this article is, but I figured this thread would be a decent landing spot.

In short, it's an illustration of how shoe companies get around paying players and their families directly by funneling money through AAU (which, I know, is nothing new to most of us by now). In this case, they discuss Twenty Two Vision, the AAU team that landed in the top division of the adidas Gauntlet circuit despite not having existed prior to the one year in which it competed, fielded no teams other than its top (17U) team, and will not be competing moving forward. It was basically set up to allow Romeo Langford to stay in adidas' control.

Oh yeah, and it's the team Mickey Pearson played for last season.

It's an interesting read, featuring a lot of quotes from a pretty candid Rick Pitino. Louisville's involvement with Langford is detailed heavily here. It's worth noting that Courtney Ramey was originally a part of this class for Louisville, and his dad just so happens to run an adidas-sponsored AAU team.

Thanks - good read - I guess AAU is a great good helping the Not one & dones get exposure but dirty for those who form the teams to exploit the $ for their own use - NCAA needs a comprehensive policy to watch & control those $ to create a level playing field- 1st is to ban any NCAA program being identified as representing a shoe company- is that a clear enough policy in 25 words or so?

The article is just a variation of how to funnel money to recruits and/or their families.  Another approach is to hire a distinctively unqualified "asst. coach" and pay that "coach" big bucks (at the very high end of the asst coach scale) when the "coach" brings nothing to the table except a son or two!  Hmmm  😉

William Iken likes this

• 2 weeks later...