Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

Ford was on Ch. 5 sports last night as part of a 1-1 interview with Frank. They only played 10 seconds but it was nice to see some coverage. I suspect some of the insight Frank shared today came from off camera discussions he had with TF.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Jalyn Patterson from LSU now on the market as a grad transfer. I believe we were a finalist for him coming out of high school. A combo guard type in the Bishop mold. Is a threat to make 3s, but can also handle the ball. Part-time starter during his career. Would much prefer a player like this over Austin. Went to Montverde Academy, which I think is a program Ford has some contacts with.

FWIW, Patterson did indeed visit SLU: http://www.hoopseen.com/news/general/201310/jalyn-patterson-commits-to-lsu

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Jalyn Patterson from LSU now on the market as a grad transfer. I believe we were a finalist for him coming out of high school. A combo guard type in the Bishop mold. Is a threat to make 3s, but can also handle the ball. Part-time starter during his career. Would much prefer a player like this over Austin. Went to Montverde Academy, which I think is a program Ford has some contacts with.

-this, a combo versus a straight up one dimensional player seems a better plan, but I'm not CFord so I'll leave it up to him and who he can target and get here

-were we a finalist for him with our prior coach? heck CFord can recruit so if we had a chance then it would make sense we would have a better chance now

38 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Trash kids not interested in SLU. Classy as always. 

Don’t really care what you think but just in case anyone important is reading this it should be noted that “tool” is a long running joke on this board to describe any player that did not go to SLU. Nobody is trashing Courtney Ramey or anyone else for deciding where they want to attend college. Travis will find more than enough good players to make up for it.

rgbilliken and almaman like this

1 hour ago, MUTGR said:

Trash kids not interested in SLU. Classy as always. 

I will trash the Rameys for rejecting SLU early on (as in 8th grade early on) but continuously bringing us up in interviews as not recruiting them.  The Ramey's have rebuffed two Billikens coaching staffs but will do and say anything to increase their offers ($$$$).

32 minutes ago, NH said:

Don’t really care what you think but just in case anyone important is reading this it should be noted that “tool” is a long running joke on this board to describe any player that did not go to SLU. Nobody is trashing Courtney Ramey or anyone else for deciding where they want to attend college. Travis will find more than enough good players to make up for it.

You have your own insular ways here, I've learned that.  

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I will trash the Rameys for rejecting SLU early on (as in 8th grade early on) but continuously bringing us up in interviews as not recruiting them.  The Ramey's have rebuffed two Billikens coaching staffs but will do and say anything to increase their offers ($$$$).

Double down. Well done. 

2 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

You have your own insular ways here, I've learned that.  

Says the guy that often posts on a message board from 1997 that forces one to click on each link to read more than one sentence.

16 hours ago, slufan13 said:

If Austin can play 8-10 mins per game next year as a backup PG, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I don't really want a 5th freshman to come in unless he's a highly rated guy who could have an immediate impact. I think next year's team is right on the border of being able to make a run so I'll take anyone who can help next year. A shooter is still my number 1 priority though even if it's a transfer who has to sit out. 

Totally agree. Would rather get some senior experience in that back court and only use a scholarship for a year especially when its this late in the recruiting season for '18. Unless of course TF finds some diamond in the rough that he thinks will explode or he lands a top guy. Regardless of my wants, I trust in TF and look forward to whoever he decides to brings in. 

As of right now, we only have one scholarship available next year correct?  We are assuming (and probably rightly so) that Bishop won't be here but he hasn't said that yet, unless I missed it.  And then there is what will happen with Welmer?  If we have 3 scholarships I would be fine with Austin as long as he won't be upset on the bench if he doesn't get playing time. Either way I trust whatever Ford decides to do.  

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

As of right now, we only have one scholarship available next year correct?  We are assuming (and probably rightly so) that Bishop won't be here but he hasn't said that yet, unless I missed it.  And then there is what will happen with Welmer?  If we have 3 scholarships I would be fine with Austin as long as he won't be upset on the bench if he doesn't get playing time. Either way I trust whatever Ford decides to do.  

By the most technical reading, yes, 1 scholarship. This assumes Bishop stays around for 2 years (ha!) and Welmer continues here (who knows?).

I don't know enough about Welmer's status to say what the staff plans to do with that scholarship, but there's no way they're not recruiting over a Crews recruit with a long-term suspension, who may have limited eligibility when he returns.

Update on the two Juco players we recently offered:

Brandon Mahan continues to see offers trickle in, the latest being from Ole Miss and new coach Kermit Davis, who had offered when he was at MTSU. I'd like to see us get him on campus soon. He's 6-5, eligible immediately as a sophomore, and can really shoot it (about 2/3 of FGA from beyond 3, and he makes more than 50% of them). Other offers: Dayton, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Cincinnati, Wichita State, Memphis, more.

Shane Gatling's season is over for Indian Hills CC, as they lost in OT to Barton County in the NJCAA Tournament. They were the overall #1 seed and finished 33-1, missing out on that perfect season campaign. Gatling had 25, including 3-7 from 3 (he finished at 39% on the season, and went 9-23 from the arc in his last two games). Other offers: Dayton, Fordham, Ole Miss, Colorado, Washington State, more.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Brandon Mahan continues to see offers trickle in, the latest being from Ole Miss and new coach Kermit Davis, who had offered when he was at MTSU. I'd like to see us get him on campus soon. He's 6-5, eligible immediately as a sophomore, and can really shoot it (2/3 of FGA from beyond 3, and he makes more than 40% of them). Other offers: Dayton, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Cincinnati, Wichita State, Memphis, more.

Shane Gatling's season is over for Indian Hills CC, as they lost in OT to Barton County in the NJCAA Tournament. They were the overall #1 seed and finished 33-1, missing out on that perfect season campaign. Gatling had 25, including 3-7 from 3 (he finished at 39% on the season, and went 9-23 from the arc in his last two games). Other offers: Dayton, Fordham, Ole Miss, Colorado, Washington State, more.

Hope SLU can snag one. Look to be the perfect part. 

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Brandon Mahan continues to see offers trickle in, the latest being from Ole Miss and new coach Kermit Davis, who had offered when he was at MTSU. I'd like to see us get him on campus soon. He's 6-5, eligible immediately as a sophomore, and can really shoot it (2/3 of FGA from beyond 3, and he makes more than 40% of them). Other offers: Dayton, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Cincinnati, Wichita State, Memphis, more.

how tall is gatling?

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

how tall is gatling?

Gatling is 6-2, 170 on the Indian Hills roster. He'd be a junior, eligible immediately.

Mahan is listed at 6-5, no weight given, on the Chipola roster. He'd be a sophomore, eligible immediately.

If I had my pick, I'd take Mahan. Gatling is probably a more complete overall guard and also scored more this season for a better team. But Mahan's size, shooting (50.3% on 175 attempts), and extra year of eligibility make him my choice. He looks good on video, too.

38 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If I had my pick, I'd take Mahan. Gatling is probably a more complete overall guard and also scored more this season for a better team. But Mahan's size, shooting (50.3% on 175 attempts), and extra year of eligibility make him my choice. He looks good on video, too.

Wait. he really shot 50% from 3 on 175 attempts?!?! 

I really want.